[SOLVED] Flashing issues. Error 170 & 171 Win7 and Vista users

Search This thread

MiSSigNNo

Feb 7, 2006
Madrid
4p.marketing
After I started using my Win 7 system, I had to do the whole process of updating and flashing my device. After like 3 hours going back and fourth to find the solution, I found it is a pretty strange way. In a place where I would never have thought before:

The problem is about Drivers.

I've found there are two type of drivers:

1. ADB/Bootloader interfaces (usb_drivers we download from Android SDK). This are useful in the first part of the HOWTO since we need to run some ADB commands. This might be also useful during the rooting process

2. MyHTC drivers (both boot and standard). This are the basic HTC drivers for using with several software like HTC Sync AND for flashing phone. This are installed during the HTC Sync installation process.

How to know which driver is using at each time?

Under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> We might find a driver called Android Phone.

1. With the phone in the Start menu into it we might see either:
a) ADB Interface
b) My HTC

2. If we go into the bootloader (rebooting device, volume down + power button) we might see
a) Bootloader
b) My HTC

If we need to FLASH, the we need in both parts My HTC

If we see anything else, we need to update the driver. Just by going into properties of the driver, Controller, Updating Controller -> Find Controller into the PC -> Select from the list of controllers of this PC -> Use Disk and we must look for the HTC Driver that is installed during the HTC Sync Installation process (Normally this is into Program Files-> HTC -> HTC Driver).

Finally we can update the driver by selecting the My HTC one from the list.

This worked perfectly for me, and make me discover this issue that may help some people. I write this as a complement for my guide for flashing to make it wider and more complete: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=603286

Reactions: rooney_di_spacy

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having this issue with a friends HTC Legend.

by going into properties of the driver, Controller, Updating Controller -> Find Controller into the PC -> Select from the list of controllers of this PC -> Use Disk and we must look for the HTC Driver that is installed during the HTC Sync Installation process (Normally this is into Program Files-> HTC -> HTC Driver).

What do you mean exactly by going into the properties of the driver? (Win 7 64bit)

Thanks.

After I started using my Win 7 system, I had to do the whole process of updating and flashing my device. After like 3 hours going back and fourth to find the solution, I found it is a pretty strange way. In a place where I would never have thought before:

1. ADB/Bootloader interfaces (usb_drivers we download from Android SDK). This are useful in the first part of the HOWTO since we need to run some ADB commands. This might be also useful during the rooting process

2. MyHTC drivers (both boot and standard). This are the basic HTC drivers for using with several software like HTC Sync AND for flashing phone. This are installed during the HTC Sync installation process.

Under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> We might find a driver called Android Phone.

a) ADB Interface
b) My HTC

2. If we go into the bootloader (rebooting device, volume down + power button) we might see
a) Bootloader
b) My HTC

If we see anything else, we need to update the driver. Just by going into properties of the driver, Controller, Updating Controller -> Find Controller into the PC -> Select from the list of controllers of this PC -> Use Disk and we must look for the HTC Driver that is installed during the HTC Sync Installation process (Normally this is into Program Files-> HTC -> HTC Driver).

This worked perfectly for me, and make me discover this issue that may help some people. I write this as a complement for my guide for flashing to make it wider and more complete: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=603286
in english please? I can't understand HOW you are doing this... I am trying to flash a HTC Desire S with Android ICS (latest from htcdev WWE) and it connects fine, but when I get to "Waiting for Bootloader........" it does that for a minute, then says "Error [171] USB Connection Error" The phone shows the HTC logo with black screen. My laptop says "USB Device Not Recognized" too and it fails. What can I do to fix this? I have installed the ADB and SDK also the HTC drivers and HTC Sync, tried everything please help

MiSSigNNo

Feb 7, 2006
Madrid
4p.marketing
in english please? I can't understand HOW you are doing this... I am trying to flash a HTC Desire S with Android ICS (latest from htcdev WWE) and it connects fine, but when I get to "Waiting for Bootloader........" it does that for a minute, then says "Error [171] USB Connection Error" The phone shows the HTC logo with black screen. My laptop says "USB Device Not Recognized" too and it fails. What can I do to fix this? I have installed the ADB and SDK also the HTC drivers and HTC Sync, tried everything please help

I'm not sure if this applies to HTC Desire S... this was meant to be used for HTC Tattoo (HTC Click)

I'm not sure if this applies to HTC Desire S... this was meant to be used for HTC Tattoo (HTC Click)
Ah I see. Any idea how I could probably fix this? I'm using Windows 8 and I have scoured XDA and the internet for 29 hours straight for answers and turned up empty. :( I have no MicroSD card to perform the update using the PB99xx.zip method and all other methods are useless. I just want a straight-forward RUU update for my phone but can't seem to do it without that silly Error 170/171 and USB Device Not Recognized errors :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

a) ADB Interface
    b) My HTC

a) Bootloader
    b) My HTC