[Solved] Hard bricked Pixel XL

Search This thread

SirRGB

• I wanted to flash a GSI, but to do so, I wanted to resize the partitions. I followed this guide
    http://lunarixus.party/oxygenosguide/part1.html
    and did everything right, up to the partitioning, where the programm had an error and told me to reboot. Im now stuck with no userdata, system and reserve0 partitons. I can still use fastboot but I was unsucessful at booting to the recovery using "fastboot boot twrp.img" or "fastboot boot orangefox.img". I cant boot custom recovery or start to an OS normally. I can still flash vendor, Kernel, but no recovery or OS. Bootloader is unlocked, I can boot to stock recovery and I can still see the barcodes.
    So has anyone an advice?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/help/bricked-pixel-t3493834

This saved my Pixel XL

Last edited:

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    I wanted to flash a GSI, but to do so, I wanted to resize the partitions. I followed this guide
    http://lunarixus.party/oxygenosguide/part1.html
    and did everything right, up to the partitioning, where the programm had an error and told me to reboot. Im now stuck with no userdata, system and reserve0 partitons. I can still use fastboot but I was unsucessful at booting to the recovery using "fastboot boot twrp.img" or "fastboot boot orangefox.img". I cant boot custom recovery or start to an OS normally. I can still flash vendor, Kernel, but no recovery or OS. Bootloader is unlocked, I can boot to stock recovery and I can still see the barcodes.
    So has anyone an advice?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/help/bricked-pixel-t3493834

This saved my Pixel XL
    So, you fixed it with help from this thread? How?

Last edited:

SirRGB

• For some reason i am unable to flash a stock ota or factory image to phone boots up and gets stuck at login screen on phone (bootloader) Erasing active slot "_a"
    FAILED (remote: Partition table doesn't exist

Sorry I cant find where I got this PDF. Just download https://developers.google.com/android/ota <----the one for your phone then do below.
    I had the same problem. I did below and its all back to normal. For ME to apply OTA I had to fastboot then press up volume till it said recovery. Press power then hold power down press up voluem once and there you see where you want to me. SIDELOAD. Then you can do the OTA img

4. Boot the Pixel into Fastboot Mode. This can be done by first powering off the Pixel, then pressing and holding both Power and Volume Down simultaneously. You should see a green android on his back and Start in green with an arrow pointing toward the Power button. 5. At this point do a test to see if drivers are properly installed in the PC. Attach the USB cable between the PC and the Pixel. Device Manager should now show an entry of Android Phone with a sub-entry of Android Bootloader Interface. 6. In the command prompt on the PC from step 2, enter the command fastboot devices. If you see a response with the serial number of your Pixel, then all is good and proceed. If the results for step 5 or 6 are not as expected, then further work is required in the PC to get the required drivers installed, so do not proceed further and ask for assistance. 7. Remove the USB cable between the PC and the Pixel. 8. Tap Volume Down until you see “Recovery Mode” in the arrow, then tap Power once to select it. 9. After a few seconds you will see the Google logo followed by a green android on his back with “No command” underneath. Press and hold Power, then tap Volume Up once, then release Power. NOTE: If your device starts rebooting at this point, your only recourse is to contact your place of purchase about a warranty replacement or repair. 10. You are now on the Android Recovery screen. On the third line at the top of the screen you will see something that looks like this: 7.1 / NDE63V / 3389651 The middle one is your current Build Number. Make note of this as the Rescue OTA you need corresponds to this one or a more recent one. (NOTE: You cannot install an older one than your current Build Number.) 11. Tap Volume Down until the entry “Apply Update from ADB” is highlighted, then tap Power to select it. You Pixel is now waiting to receive the OTA file. 12. Attach the USB cable between the PC and the Pixel. Device Manager should now show an entry of Android Phone with a sub-entry of Android ADB Interface.

13. In the command prompt on the PC from step 2, enter the command adb devices. If you see a response with the serial number of your Pixel, then all is good and proceed. If you do not see this then further work is required in the PC to get the required drivers installed, so do not proceed further and ask for assistance. On a Windows 10 PC: 14. On your PC, create the folder c:\MyPixel 15. Download the OTA for the current Build Number of your Pixel from here. Note: There are currently three release streams for Pixel phones. Please ensure you pick the correct one based on your situation: Release Global North America Verizon Oct 2016 NDE63H NDE63L NDE63P Nov 2016 NDE63U NDE63V NDE63X
    16. When the download finishes, click on “Open Folder” at the bottom of the browser window. This will open Windows File Explorer. Right click on the highlighted file that was just downloaded, click Cut, then select the folder c:\MyPixel, right click again and click Paste to move the OTA zip file into c:\MyPixel.
    17. If the Pixel Apply Update from ADB timed out (step 12), then re-initiate it. 18. Enter a command similar to the following (this example is for non-Verizon, North American customers), but the highlighted filename will be the one you pasted into c:\MyPixel in step 16 (don’t forget the .zip extension in the command): For a Pixel: adb sideload c:\MyPixel\sailfish-ota-nde63u-f1c2a8f5.zip For a Pixel XL: adb sideload c:\MyPixel\marlin-ota-nde63v-272853b5.zip 19. Progress messages should now appear on both the PC and the Pixel. Be patient as there can be several minutes before any progress messages appear. If there are any errors, do not proceed further and ask for assistance. On the Pixel: 20. When the update finishes the line “Reboot system now” should be highlighted. Tap power once to initiate a reboot. 21. After the reboot, your Pixel should be back in operation.

Thats what helped: The post of Zeblade.

SirRGB

• @SirRGB You used the word helped in your reply. So, what else other than following Zblade's post did you do to unbrick your Pixel XL?

I think I've done it like Zeblade, but before I flashed the kernel, boot.img, and system other. Then I got into the "no commands" window and can get into the recovery.
    But if I had to do it again, I would extract the OTA and just execute the flash-all.

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    I think I've done it like Zeblade, but before I flashed the kernel, boot.img, and system other. Then I got into the "no commands" window and can get into the recovery.
    But if I had to do it again, I would extract the OTA and just execute the flash-all.
    Two things:
    1. Zblade's post was written for a Pixel not a Pixel XL: Look at the build number in #10 of his post (NDE63V) is a November 2016 Android 7.1.0 OTA sailfish image.
    That being said, Zblade's post should work for a Pixel XL if you download the files for a Pixel XL.

2. Did you mean sideload the OTA Image? Google's OTA Images do not have a flash-all.bat file in them.

The December 2019 OTA Image (marlin-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a3-23002a57.zip) extracted:
    • META-INF (folder)
    - META-INF\com\android\metadata
    - META-INF\com\android\otacert
    • care_map.pb
    • compatibility.zip (extracted)
    - system_manifest.xml
    - system_matrix.xml
    - vendor_manifest.xml
    - vendor_matrix.xml
    • payload_properties.txt
    • payload.bin

Last edited:

SirRGB

• Two things:
    1. Zblade's post was written for a Pixel not a Pixel XL: Look at the build number in #10 of his post (NDE63V) is a November 2016 Android 7.1.0 OTA sailfish image.

2. Did you mean sideload the OTA Image? Google's OTA Images do not have a flash-all.bat file in them.

The December 2019 OTA Image (marlin-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a3-23002a57.zip) extracted:
    • META-INF (folder)
    - META-INF\com\android\metadata
    - META-INF\com\android\otacert
    • care_map.pb
    • compatibility.zip (extracted)
    - system_manifest.xml
    - system_matrix.xml
    - vendor_manifest.xml
    - vendor_matrix.xml
    • payload_properties.txt
    • payload.bin

Sorry if I messed it up. The Pixel and Pixel XL are almost identical. I think the major differences (correct me if I'm wrong) are the display and the battery size.
    The factory images are required to flash the stock rom via the bootloader. You have to execute the flash-all file via Powershell opened in a Platform Tools folder.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    Sorry if I messed it up. The Pixel and Pixel XL are almost identical. I think the major differences (correct me if I'm wrong) are the display and the battery size.
    The factory images are required to flash the stock rom via the bootloader, but I think you have already known that.
    You didn't mess up anything, thanks for sharing the information. :) I forgot to add this line in my previous post: That being said, Zblade's post should work for a Pixel XL if you download the files for a Pixel XL.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      In the stock recovery you can choose "apply update from ADB" and open the Power shell in the platform tools folder. Then connect your Pixel to you computer and type "adb sideload and drag&drop the OTA zip file and press enter. It'll install the stock files and errase your data.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone