[SOLVED] Help about new update

Search This thread

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
Hey,
I just bought new moto G5 plus from flipcart and its model no is XT1686

and it is running NPJ25.137-15 Android version (Running January 1 Security patch)

and now I got OTA for updating to NPJ25.137-67(no security update info given) and I don't know which is safe or not Because I had slimier issue with my moto G4 plus and it got hardbricked and I had to wait a long time for the appropriate blank-flash. So guys anyone can tell me should I update or not? or should I flash stock ROM using Fastboot? Bootloader is locked but Stock firmware doesn't requires unlocked bootloader, right?? PLEASE TELL ME

Last edited:

love4chat

Mar 6, 2012
Bhiwandi
Hey,

and it is running NPJ25.137-15 Android version (Running January 1 Security patch)

and now I got OTA for updating to NPJ25.137-67(no security update info given) and I don't know which is safe or not Because I had slimier issue with my moto G4 plus and it got hardbricked and I had to wait a long time for the appropriate blank-flash. So guys anyone can tell me should I update or not? or should I flash stock ROM using Fastboot? Bootloader is locked but Stock firmware doesn't requires unlocked bootloader, right?? PLEASE TELL ME

buddy dont worry update ur phone it have march security patch along with some bugfixes for the OS!

i have already updated mine safely,just charge your battery to 50%

Reactions: Outfield303

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
buddy dont worry update ur phone it have march security patch along with some bugfixes for the OS!

Ok I am taking risk the update is about 214 MB in size. I am really worried because Motorola broke my phone(g4 plus) when I installed june security patch when I had January patch ( the march one was missing) so it hardbicked my phone.
I am really worried right now. Is this gonna work?:crying:

love4chat

Mar 6, 2012
Bhiwandi
Ok I am taking risk the update is about 214 MB in size. I am really worried because Motorola broke my phone(g4 plus) when I installed june security patch when I had January patch ( the march one was missing) so it hardbicked my phone.

it will be totally fine dont worry amigo!

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth

You've got a new device, so the chances of your hard bricking are very low, since your bootloader is locked and never been unlocked. Additionally, as others have mentioned, the NPN25.137-67 update is the currently available update for Indian devices. So your device should be unmodified and downloading the recommended update.

But yeah, provided you do not downgrade, you should be okay to receive and flash OTA updates. I still don't quite understand how you bricked your device with the June update, did you downgrade your G4 plus to the December update? I'm confused as to how you flashed the June 2017 OTA update without taking the March patch first...

Last edited:

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
SOLVED

@Karlinski @love4chat @echo92 Thanks for the info
I've updated my phone and the update was successfully installed :laugh:
B2rTi

and @echo92 my moto g4 plus was bricked because of downgrading. what happened actually my phone was running june security patch and everything was fine but then all of a sudden I installed some custom ROMs on it. after 2 days I wanted switched back to the stock android, so I flashed the Stock ROM from fastboot and I accidentally flashed the older rom from there. I got the OTA for installing June Patch and I installed it (I didn't aware of one last patch was missing) I connected my phone to charging, The update was downloaded and started installing, once loading bar reached 75% it went blank. I tried to open boot-loader but it didn't opened, it was worst nightmare. This is why I get worried when Motorola release new update :p

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170924-074400.png
    Screenshot_20170924-074400.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 103

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
B2rTi

and @echo92 my moto g4 plus was bricked because of downgrading. what happened actually my phone was running june security patch and everything was fine but then all of a sudden I installed some custom ROMs on it. after 2 days I wanted switched back to the stock android, so I flashed the Stock ROM from fastboot and I accidentally flashed the older rom from there. I got the OTA for installing June Patch and I installed it (I didn't aware of one last patch was missing) I connected my phone to charging, The update was downloaded and started installing, once loading bar reached 75% it went blank. I tried to open boot-loader but it didn't opened, it was worst nightmare. This is why I get worried when Motorola release new update :p

Yeah, that's what happened with most users with the June 2017 update on Moto G4 devices (and lessons may well apply to G5 users too). If you took the June 2017 update (or for Moto G5 users, the May security patch or newer), then downgraded with an older stock ROM, the OTA would install thinking your device bootloader was on the same patch level as your system (which in this case it wasn't). Thus, the OTA would have corrupted your newer bootloader, leading to a hard brick. You mentioned being on the December/January update, so you'd likely have obtained the March 2017 OTA, which corrupted your June 2017 OTA - else, if it were the same patch level, the OTA would likely have been okay.

In other words, don't downgrade your device and take OTAs, regardless of whether you're on a G4/G5.... Besides, you've still got your warranty with a new G5, so you might as well wait for the next OTA update after 137-67 - hopefully it's soon, as EU - and likely US users - are on the NPNS25.137-33-11 (August 2017 security patch) and other US users are on the May 2017 update (NPNS25.137-35-5)...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just fine. No reason to suspect Motorola would break your stock phone with a stock update....
    Hey,

it will be totally fine dont worry amigo!

You've got a new device, so the chances of your hard bricking are very low, since your bootloader is locked and never been unlocked. Additionally, as others have mentioned, the NPN25.137-67 update is the currently available update for Indian devices. So your device should be unmodified and downloading the recommended update.

But yeah, provided you do not downgrade, you should be okay to receive and flash OTA updates. I still don't quite understand how you bricked your device with the June update, did you downgrade your G4 plus to the December update? I'm confused as to how you flashed the June 2017 OTA update without taking the March patch first...
    B2rTi

Yeah, that's what happened with most users with the June 2017 update on Moto G4 devices (and lessons may well apply to G5 users too). If you took the June 2017 update (or for Moto G5 users, the May security patch or newer), then downgraded with an older stock ROM, the OTA would install thinking your device bootloader was on the same patch level as your system (which in this case it wasn't). Thus, the OTA would have corrupted your newer bootloader, leading to a hard brick. You mentioned being on the December/January update, so you'd likely have obtained the March 2017 OTA, which corrupted your June 2017 OTA - else, if it were the same patch level, the OTA would likely have been okay.

In other words, don't downgrade your device and take OTAs, regardless of whether you're on a G4/G5.... Besides, you've still got your warranty with a new G5, so you might as well wait for the next OTA update after 137-67 - hopefully it's soon, as EU - and likely US users - are on the NPNS25.137-33-11 (August 2017 security patch) and other US users are on the May 2017 update (NPNS25.137-35-5)...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone