• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SOLVED] Help recovering stock galaxy s2 stuck at bootlogo

Search This thread

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
I'm new to the Samsung platform wrt flashing/rooting etc and hope to revive my sister's galaxy s2 which suddenly stopped working. I did read some of the stickies and guides for unbricking etc, but I have some questions.

Some information that might be relevant:
It is a GT-I9100 phone which has previously (about 3 weeks ago) been successfully updated to the latest 4.1.2 rom using Kies (the end consumer way). The phone has never been rooted or flashed with other firmwares/kernels (it is completely stock).
While using the phone, it suddenly stopped responding (screen froze), had to pull out the battery to power it off.
After removing the battery the phone is stuck at the static Samsung Galaxy S2 bootlogo,
It does enter downloading mode, but it does not enter recovery mode (it should load a samsung recovery environment?)

Q:
With the above described symptoms, what is the first thing I should try, preferably without loosing warranty*?
I guess the answer will be by trying to flash 'a' stock rom using Odin.
If so, which version of the stock rom do I need when the HIDSWVER is unknown? Can I check the HIDSWVER somehow when the phone is in this state? The phone was purchased at Vodafone in the Netherlands.

I currently have downloaded I9100XWLSN_I9100XXMS2_I9100OXXLS8_NEE.zip, Not sure if I should use this one, and if this flashing a rom using Odin is the best way to start recovering this dead s2. I would really appreciate some suggestions :)

I've read something about the eMMC bug. Could this be related?

*the device is still in warranty but at the Vodafone store they say we would risk paying 36 euro for an unrepaired device because of some visual damage. For this reason I would first try to unbrick the device myself.

Last edited:

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
If u can get into recovery, a factory reset would have solved the issue.

Since u only have download mode, and you don't want to lose warranty, ur only option is to flash a stock firmware via Odin.

The firmware u downloaded will do. :)

Also read about eMMC Brickbug issue on 4.0.4 to know what it is. :D

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II

cr0wnest

Jun 29, 2010
Singapore
Its a soft brick. Flashing the odin package you download should do the trick. Once the phone has booted up successfully, perform a factory reset because flashing the odin package does NOT wipe the phone's data.

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
I just started flashing the rom as suggested.
(using oding bundled with the rom package, samsung drivers installed)

Unfortunately it fails to do so:

Code:
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Next thing to try is probably to flash a kernel as described in [GUIDE] Fix an unflashable or soft bricked GSII (I9100G/M/P/T VERSION INCLUDED)?
Should I use the provided ICS recovery files from the guide's OP when the phone is on 4.1.2?

Last edited:

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
Okay, tried flashing the kernel (unsuccesfull, fails to write).
Then tried repartitioning using a pit file, even that fails :(

I think this s2 has a hw fault. Now the download count is at 2, and instead of the static bootloader I get firmware update failure message.

Any way to get download count back at 0 for warranty in this state?Edit: Ok, searching for 300k ohm for usb jig
Other things I can try?

Otherwise this s2 is going to be a screen donor for another s2.

Last edited:
Reactions: it'sup

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
U have a NAND corruption it seems.

See this thread and the excellent post by @MistahBungle on stuff to do when Odin flash fails:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2255936

Sent from my SGS II
Thanks for pointing to that checklist :) I actually already tried most of that list, except trying another usb cable.

Unfortunately, it still won't flash anything, it keeps freezing/failing when it tries to write a kernel/rom/pit file.
I've now tried:
- different versions of odin, all started as administrator, on:
- 2 different windows machines, both without kies being installed, using the Samsung USB drivers
- 3 different USB cables, which are known to work for data transfer
- validating the files-> jup are valid

Its a hard(ware/2fix) (soft) brick :eek:

edit: Added screenshots. Only when flashing the bootloader I get a progressbar @ the S2 screen, but Odin hangs for about 5 minutes at half of the Sbl.bin and then I get the 'Complete(Write) operation failed.' message again, progressbar still visible on S2 screen at about 5%.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,062
  • kernel.jpg
    kernel.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,484
  • bootloader-hangs.jpg
    bootloader-hangs.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,507
  • flashing-bootloader.jpg
    flashing-bootloader.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,237
Last edited:

Sun90

Recognized Contributor
Oct 1, 2011
MYSORE - KARNATAKA - INDIA
Thanks for pointing to that checklist :) I actually already tried most of that list, except trying another usb cable.

Unfortunately, it still won't flash anything, it keeps freezing/failing when it tries to write a kernel/rom/pit file.
I've now tried:
- different versions of odin, all started as administrator, on:
- 2 different windows machines, both without kies being installed, using the Samsung USB drivers
- 3 different USB cables, which are known to work for data transfer
- validating the files-> jup are valid

Its a hard(ware/2fix) (soft) brick :eek:

edit: Added screenshots. Only when flashing the bootloader I get a progressbar @ the S2 screen, but Odin hangs for about 5 minutes at half of the Sbl.bin and then I get the 'Complete(Write) operation failed.' message again, progressbar still visible on S2 screen at about 5%.

try att 'ODIN v1.83' and see :)

Last edited:

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
try att 'ODIN v1.83' and see :)
Didn't tried that version yet, however ,still no luck:

1. flashing stock jb rom (PDA) -> Stuck at BOOT in white [email protected] (boot.bin in odin log). No progress bar @ S2 screen. After 10 minutes I closed odin, rebooted phone in download mode
2. Then I tried flashing Siyah s2 v5.0.1 kernel -> Stuck @ zImage, see screenshot 'siyah-kernel.jpg'. No progress bar @ S2 screen. After 5 minutes I closed odin, rebooted phone in download mode. Download count increased with 1.
3. Then I tried flashing rom from the ICS recovery package (from the unbrick guide) -> same result as 1 ^^

Should I now try flashing a partition image table? Got one from a corrupt nand flash guide with stock and patched PITs (trying to find the link...)

Attachments

• siyah-kernel.jpg
    siyah-kernel.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,371
Last edited:

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
Should I now try flashing a partition image table? Got one from a corrupt nand flash guide with stock and patched PITs (trying to find the link...)
Which firmware are u trying to flash? Try a 3 part firmware (that comes as 3 files for phone, pda and csc).

Keep PIT files and re-partitioning as a laaaaast resort. :)

Sent from my SGS II

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
Which firmware are u trying to flash? Try a 3 part firmware (that comes as 3 files for phone, pda and csc).

Keep PIT files and re-partitioning as a laaaaast resort. :)

Sent from my SGS II

I have tried to flash original stock jb firmware for nordic countries (I9100XWLSN from this thread), and the rom in the ICS recovery package (I9100XXLPH.zip) as instructed in the unbrick guide, being a 4 part firmware (bootloader/pda/phone/csc).

Only did try flashing pda and bootloader. I don't think flashing a phone/csc image would fix the odin write issue.

Last edited:

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
Tried that on yet another other computer with another usb cable. No luck, won't start writing.
Eventually I tried re-partitioning, also hung, unplugged it after 10 minutes and.... *hard bricked*. But it was probably already dead because of defective nand. I don't think it had anything to do with the more common issues with using odin.

I've replaced the pcb from a damaged S2, now running slim bean 4.2.
Anyway, thanks for all suggestions.

Reactions: immortalneo

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
Tried that on yet another other computer with another usb cable. No luck, won't start writing.
Eventually I tried re-partitioning, also hung, unplugged it after 10 minutes and.... *hard bricked*. But it was probably already dead because of defective nand. I don't think it had anything to do with the more common issues with using odin.

Thanks for sharing.
Please add [SOLVED] to the title of ur post then.

Sent from my SGS II

Tutti-frutti

Nov 12, 2008
Lol

After all things I tried, I was actually relieved I had finally bricked it (although it was already sort of dead ;))
+ finally replaced my good old desire phone with an s2 because of the screen-donating-bricked-s2 :D

Reactions: gastonw

algorithm101

Jun 14, 2013
Stuck at samsung logo :(

Stuck at samsung logo :(
running on siyah kernel v6.5b on Samsung galaxy s2 jb 4.1.2
tried to install alliance mod rom v8 and ended up at Samsung logo
tried factory reset and also the wipe cache partition dint work erased the dalvik cache too :( plus tried factory reset and
install a fresh stock rom the odin just gets hung and task manager marks it as not responding.what do i do now??
I have access to root..
Have i Bricked this phone?? :(

HyperEscape

Apr 13, 2011
Had the same problem, seemed like a NAND corruption to me on my phone since the progress bar on the main boot logo screen was slow and was stuck half the way, which otherwise used to slide pretty quickly, indicating that the phone is having trouble reading from its NAND flash.

Before the corruption I was running RootboX 4.1 with Dorimanx Kernel 9.38.

Was all prepared to do the ODIN flashing with latest firmware for my country, kernel and possibly a PIT flash with repartition , if in case else would have failed.

However to my skeptic mind a pretty safe suggestion read here somewhere on a thread, appealed for a while, and I was amazed to see the power of hunches.

Someone reported to have restored back his set, by SIMPLY taking the battery out and leaving it naked overnight. I did the same thing last night, and guess what, sipping the morning tea, I inserted the battery again and VOILA, its ALIVE....its ALIVE.....like any other FRANKENSTEIN defying all boundaries of logic.

So someone else in the same fix, should try it at first before jumping in the ODIN waters.

Lets see for how long does it lives, which TOUCHWOOD should be for a long time, till i save enough to a buy the S4 or Note3.

Cheers.

Reactions: platijet

chylld

Jul 6, 2008
Someone reported to have restored back his set, by SIMPLY taking the battery out and leaving it naked overnight. I did the same thing last night, and guess what, sipping the morning tea, I inserted the battery again and VOILA, its ALIVE....its ALIVE.....like any other FRANKENSTEIN defying all boundaries of logic.

sorry for thread revival, but resorting to this now that flashing stock rom and litening rom have both failed. was running stock 4.1.2 when phone ground to a halt then froze; after pulling battery the phone got stuck at the galaxy s ii logo screen. odin flash succeeded but same problem at reboot. phone gets preettty hot if i leave it stuck at the logo :(

phone was acting strangely for the past few days, no software changes and battery started depleting about 2-3 times faster than usual.

if leaving the battery out overnight doesn't fix it, am i hard-bricked?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, tried flashing the kernel (unsuccesfull, fails to write).
    Then tried repartitioning using a pit file, even that fails :(

I think this s2 has a hw fault. Now the download count is at 2, and instead of the static bootloader I get firmware update failure message.

Any way to get download count back at 0 for warranty in this state?Edit: Ok, searching for 300k ohm for usb jig
    Other things I can try?

Otherwise this s2 is going to be a screen donor for another s2.
    U have a NAND corruption it seems.

See this thread and the excellent post by @MistahBungle on stuff to do when Odin flash fails:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2255936

Sent from my SGS II

Lol

After all things I tried, I was actually relieved I had finally bricked it (although it was already sort of dead ;))
    + finally replaced my good old desire phone with an s2 because of the screen-donating-bricked-s2 :D
    Had the same problem, seemed like a NAND corruption to me on my phone since the progress bar on the main boot logo screen was slow and was stuck half the way, which otherwise used to slide pretty quickly, indicating that the phone is having trouble reading from its NAND flash.

Before the corruption I was running RootboX 4.1 with Dorimanx Kernel 9.38.

Was all prepared to do the ODIN flashing with latest firmware for my country, kernel and possibly a PIT flash with repartition , if in case else would have failed.

However to my skeptic mind a pretty safe suggestion read here somewhere on a thread, appealed for a while, and I was amazed to see the power of hunches.

So someone else in the same fix, should try it at first before jumping in the ODIN waters.

Lets see for how long does it lives, which TOUCHWOOD should be for a long time, till i save enough to a buy the S4 or Note3.

Cheers.