[SOLVED]How to add a city in the TF3D weather tab ?

Search This thread

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
This thread is only for Manila "First generation". For Manila 2.1 or 2.5, try JVH3 Weather City Editor
Note : In fact, if you edit your files manually with a SQLite tool, you could read the end of this post (Garfiled tuto, etc.) : you'll just have to create 2 new fileds -timezone and msid- in the "cities" table (just look at how original file is)... as it is for advanced users, I don't write "how to" : advanced users already know how to do :D and for others, look at JVH3 tool linked above !

All credits are for N2A, Garfield1970, idsk and andreas.falke.
This new topic is just a summary of Diamond Weather Custom City thread. That's why it's already [SOLVED] :D !

To add a city to TF3D, you have to :
1. install, if not already done, Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 3.5.
The archive size is ~33MB... but the install is only ~3/4MB... you can find standalone .cab on the web. Thx to Fabliv to post it in this thread.

2. install WeatherDatabaseEditor from andreas.falke, the latest version is 1.2 (or take it from attachments).
If it doesn't work (for TLR or bElite ROM for example), you can try this "patched" WDE (from PPC-Welt, it seems), based on 1.1 original WDE... (you can take it from attachments).
Old version of WDE : v1.1.
Note : Some anti-virus software detects theese apps as "trojan". They aren't. Just false detection from your too-suspicious AV ;).

3. find your locCode on http://www.accuweather.com - you'll have to input it in the "Accu Weather Code" field.
For example, for Paris in France, Accuweather URL is : http://www.accuweather.com/world-in...r=accuweather&locCode=EUR|FR|FR012|PARIS|&u=1
The locCode is EUR|FR|FR012|PARIS
Note : If the city name contains spaces (or special characters), you'll have perhaps an issue. Space have to be replaced by %20... and sometimes not (and vice-versa ^_^).
So, don't abandon too fast, and try and re-try. Or post your request here : someone'll certainly find the good way to input it.

3. bis For US cities :
- thx obender : for example Hickery, NC, Accuweather URL is http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/hi...recast.asp?partner=accuweather&u=1&traveler=1
You see the portion "us/nc/hickory". To obtain the locCode, you have to prefix it with NAM|
So, it gives, for our example : NAM|US|<state>|<city> i.e. NAM|US|NC|HICKORY
- thx duofold : instead of the complete locCode as mentioned above, you can only use the zip code : just input the zip code of your city in the "Accu Weather Code" field (and, of course enter in a state & city in the other fields).

4. launch WeatherDatabaseEditor on your Diamond, select your country, add your city and exit.

5. add your added city in TF3D weather tab.
Depending on your TF3D version, your added city will appear at the end of the list... or in alphabetical order.

6. Enjoy... now, you can the actual weather on your Diamond, without looking out the window :D

Now, to understand a little what happend :
WeatherDatabaseEditor (aka WDE) allows many things :
A. WDE edit the database
The database is stored in 2 files : 2330fc3c_manila and _2330fc3c_manila (in \Windows folder). These files are hidden/in rom/read-only. WDE changes the attribute of these files, so that, WDE can write them.

B. in 1.1 version, WDE allows only to add cities, but no country.
It isn't a big problem : if you live in a non-listed country, you can add your city in an other country (as explained above)... that won't change anything (just the place where you'll find it in TF3D menu)

C. WDE edit the registry (thx isdk)
In stock ROM, the URL used to update the weather is a specific Accuweather URL. WDE change it to point to N2A'website ( http://weather.not2advanced.com/ ).
Registry key=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila & String value Name=Weather.ServerURLOverride

Now, if you really want to add a country (cf. B.), go to Garfield tuto (and here too for more friendly SQLite tools).
But read ONLY
what regards the 2330fc3c_manila files.
NO PATCH OF manila.exe NEEDED ANYMORE !

P.S. : as my english is poor (& my tailor rich ^^), I would be happy if someone could correct it (MP me :)).

P.S.2 : alternative not tested : [APP] Commandline WeatherDatabase Editor (add new locations to TF3D) by Mr_Gee

Last edited:

joemax

Jun 24, 2008
South Shropshire
Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 3.5[/url].
The archive size is ~33MB... but the install is only ~3/4MB... you can find standalone .cab on the web. Just search a little bit.

Can't find just the cab file anywhere - as i am running a Mac I can't use the full installer :mad: Anyone know of a link for the cab file I can just install ?

Also how is it installed ?

cheers

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
@joemax : scroll down... there are some Rapidshare links. One of them should work !

@Fabliv : for that, read Garfield'tuto and execute some SQL queries.
2nd option : imho, you don't need ALLLL cities in the database... so, rather than add your city (at the end of the list), just edit one existing at the right place in the alphabetical order ;).
Last option : on your PC, delete ALL entries in the database (with Garfield'tuto & one of "his" tools - SQLIte Database Browser is perfect for that), compact the database, and re-create your own. Personnaly, I did that : rather than 2 files of 334kB (the _manila files), I've got now 2 files of 5kB (1 country, ~15 cities).
And, if I go to a trip in a non added city, I can add one OTA with WDE :).

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
I never had to disable TF3D (as I can remember).
You can try this : Disable TF3D (Start Menu>Settings>Today), soft-reset, install WDE, enable TF3D.

This works with stock french ROM (1.39.xxx.1), and now, with DiamondProjectv2 ROM (1.93.xxx.2 with TF3D v1.1.34569.0_1630.38... don't remember which version of TF3D it was on my stock ROM).

oufledingue

Aug 29, 2006
I never had to disable TF3D (as I can remember).
You can try this : Disable TF3D (Start Menu>Settings>Today), soft-reset, install WDE, enable TF3D.

This works with stock french ROM (1.39.xxx.1), and now, with DiamondProjectv2 ROM (1.93.xxx.2 with TF3D v1.1.34569.0_1630.38... don't remember which version of TF3D it was on my stock ROM).

same problem for me
i am with bepe 0.54 rom
the same message than upper : File write protection could't removed

i disabled tf3D, softreseted the device, WDE was already installed

htckaiseruser

May 8, 2008
Awesome program, now i finally can see the weather of the citys that I want!
All i had to do was install cf3.5 and the WDE,then reset. add the citys that i want and go! Props to the guy who made this:)

AF241

Dec 26, 2005
Hi, I am facing a problem here. I can't see any list of countries or cities after I launch WDE. It's just blank. I am using TLR 3 ROM.
fxs8lc.jpg

I tried installing it after disabling TFLO3D and resetting. Still no luck :(

LeMarquisNL

Jun 16, 2008
Same problem...

Hi, I am facing a problem here. I can't see any list of countries or cities after I launch WDE. It's just blank. I am using TLR 3 ROM.

I tried installing it after disabling TFLO3D and resetting. Still no luck :(

Problem confirmed.
Used another ROM before and haven't had any problems using the weatherdatabase program. After flashing to TLR3 I experience the same problem as described above. :confused:

I hope someone finds a solution. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! you program ain't working anymore. please help me! i have touch pro! I've tried to add my city [LocId="EUR;RO;RO023;ORASTIE] . and then... the weather tab stoped working!.
    please help me to get it work!
    when i give command to update it returns me with the mesage: there was a connection error while attemting to download weather data. retry?

p.s: the internet is present on the phone. tested with youtube

Are you using a stock or standard ROM?

Try uninstalling the program and restartying your device. You should still have the custom cities that you added.

The reason it is not working is that it tells it to use the weather server not2advanced.com. This server went down sometime after August 2011, but probably closer to the beginning of 2012.

In the past custom weather cities required this server.

So, if that does not work, try applying this registry setting

[HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila]
    Weather.ServerURLOverride="http:// htc.accuweather.com/widget/htc/forecast-data_v3.asp?ac=TR2cra9U&locCode=%25ls&version=1&device=innovation"

(remove the space after // before htc.)