[SOLVED] How to monitor network connections in Android 12?

Search This thread

giostark

Jan 4, 2013
(I posted the same question in the ROM 3d but here maybe is more well placed)
I read that something is changed in how the system manage the kernel (kernel proc files) and now all the apps that monitor the network connections didn't work anymore . (tried several and all stay forever in listening without prompt any connection or IP) . Also "Network Connections" app with root access don't work.
I can see the wi-fi icon activate and deactivate the double arrow but not traffic seems generated in "network speed monitor" (app for trace the download and upload traffic) . I also disable the network test that ping the google servers.
I would know the apps list that are using the network and the IP address they are using.
Do you know some apps that can monitor in real time network connections in android 12?

giostark

Jan 4, 2013
Found a solution! PCAPdroid . SDK31 work on Android 12 ! Ok is not direct and use a virtual VPN... it do the job.
I can finally stomp all the trashy apps that work in background without my consent. (or any consent in general)
PCAPdroid is an open source app which lets you monitor and export the network traffic of your device. The app simulates a VPN to achieve non-root capture but, contrary to a VPN, the traffic is processed locally into the device.
Cheer !! :geek:

Reactions: blaukraut

blaukraut

May 17, 2011
Hi giostark,

Thank you very much for your research! I can't believe how little information is available in the net on such an important topic. Actually I think, each OS should be able to show the user which app causes how much traffic right now, like in the Windows Task-Manager. Unfortunately, Android doesn't. And now, as you pointed out correctly, with A12 even the apps, which added this feature stopped working.

I always used the app Internet Speed Meter for that. It provides a permanent notification about the current network traffic load, which is essential to me. Sometimes I look at the notification and see that my phone has super high traffic going on right now, despite I'm not doing anything and then I just tabbed on the notification and it showed me exactly, which app was causing the traffic. This is soooo important in my opinion. Unfortunately, with A12 this stopped working. The traffic is still shown, but not which app causes it.

I now installed PCAPdroid, as you suggested, and I can confirm it works. This is awesome! However, I'm not happy with the UI. When I open the PCAPdroid notification and open the connections tab, there are many connections shown and it is not easy to find the one connection/app, which causes the actual high traffic right now. There should be a sort function. Even better would be something, where I can just see in a quick and easy way, which app causes traffic right now, as Internet Speed Meter did:

unnamed.png

So, if anyone has a better suggestion than PCAPdroid, I would be really happy. Thanks to giostark for at least suggesting this app though!

Cheers

giostark

Jan 4, 2013
This is more an eruption than a technical post.
Without rooting the phone , AFwall+ it, disabling by hand lots of service (play service at first) with System Service (that contain adds of course , so you have to keep it off line first of launch it) , disabling the captive portal , the automatic DNS , use Warden also, with lucky patcher destroy all the hidden ads contained in the 70% of your phone ,and.... and other tons of stuff boring to list, you cant simply have control on anything exactly as is intended by the Andorid ecosystem. (and after all this , still you are not in full control eh)
Android is made from Google for Google , non for the people. As Windows is made by MS for MS.

Look , those are system services that automatically will have access to the net. They even don't fit the screen. There are many more listed in other group. (and probably some hidden in the kernel that doesn't show up)

Even NordVpn app have 4 DAMN TRACKERs. Seriously ?!?!!?!? (in some hacker site they caught that it send to some site even sensor proximity activities). Seriously ?!?!?! Yep. Even in the Linux machine I use every day I caught in the journal log that it connect to some site even at the start of the machine. And not just when you use that fk app. (trashed the company at the speed of light)
This is where we are going. And this is why now you cant log properly android.
We all are deeply sleeping . And this world will end bad. That's all.
Then... answering properly to the question if exist a better app , the answer is, will never be.
As stated also in some ROMs sub forum here we are too few for attract the interest of Google , otherwise this trashy company would have found the system for block every rom.
Every one that use a phone (apple especially) is happy. Who made this traps have exactly clear how the reward mechanics of our brain work.
We are too few that try to understand how the things are going and that try to have a wide point of view.
Almost no one know (and understand) the meaning of fallacy. Without it is basically impossible understand if a sentence is valid or not. What hope exist?
Leaving the catastrophic point of view afar , have good luck to track the stuff your phone is doing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-212600_AFWall+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-212600_AFWall+.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found a solution! PCAPdroid . SDK31 work on Android 12 ! Ok is not direct and use a virtual VPN... it do the job.
    I can finally stomp all the trashy apps that work in background without my consent. (or any consent in general)
    PCAPdroid is an open source app which lets you monitor and export the network traffic of your device. The app simulates a VPN to achieve non-root capture but, contrary to a VPN, the traffic is processed locally into the device.
    Cheer !! :geek: