• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question [SOLVED] How to root Android 12 version? (see thread, use Alpha Magisk!)

Search This thread

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
So I' can't root my phone anymore after upgrading.

First I tried my usual method that I used on my Pixel 3a XL running the latest Android 12 image.
- Extracted the boot.img from the OTA pack using "Payload-dumper-go".
- Copied up the boot.img to phone.
- Install Magisk Canary on the phone.
- Rooted the boot.img, copied it to PC.
- Booted it from fastboot.
- Tried direct install.
Crashdump mode. So clearly, no go.

Some helpful person (Mr. Intoxicated.mad from the Telegram group) posted some instructions.

1) Have Magisk Manager installed
2) Download rooting files and extract on PC
3) Copy boot.img and vendor_boot.img to Download folder
4) Open Magisk Manager and click top Install and patch boot.img. When done, go back and repeat the process for vendor_boot.img
5) Move both patched images to adb directory on your pc along with vbmeta.img
6) Run this command:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot_magisk.img
fastboot flash boot boot_magisk.img

Unfortunately, this did not work either.
It flashes, the phone boots, but Magisk Manager shows up like there is no actual root.
Tried the same steps with flash boot_a and flash boot_b and also flash boot (so just everything), but no change.

So I've tried:
- Magisk Canary direct install: Root works, but Direct Install -> CrashDump soft brick
- Magisk stable (23.0) with flash -> No root
- Magisk stable (23.0) with boot via fastboot -> No root, not even temporary

I'd appreciate any tips, guides!
Maybe Canary + root both vendor_boot and boot images? I haven't tried that one yet...

Reactions: quini2k and tazoman

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Did you try https://t.me/s/magiskalpha ? It's all about OOS12 or AOSP (custom) A12 ?

This worked great! I just grabbed the latest APK I could find from the channel, installed it via Direct Install and voila'!

Basic steps:
- Extract the ZIP, use payload-dumper-go to get boot.img
- Copy up boot.img to phone
- Install this Alpha Magisk version, open boot.img from Magisk Manager
- Copy new patched image from Downloads folder to your PC
- Use Fastboot to boot this patched image, you have root at this point (but only temporary)
- Go into Magisk Manager and go for Direct Install

l_mike

Jan 6, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Google Pixel 4a 5G
This worked great! I just grabbed the latest APK I could find from the channel, installed it via Direct Install and voila'!

Basic steps:
- Use Fastboot to boot this patched image, you have root at this point (but only temporary)
What region is your phone?

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012

Moe2003

Dec 18, 2019
United States

Basic steps:
So just do normal steps but use alpha magisk instead of stable? Can I use latest canary?

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Also, does the call recording work on a12?

With Skvalex Call Recording + Root, yes it does. I never used the OnePlus call recorder thing because I saw it tells the other half that they are being recorded or something. Which just makes the entire conversation hostile, awkward. People know that I record them and they love that they can just dictate all their orders and crap.

tazoman

Oct 12, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro

First I tried my usual method that I used on my Pixel 3a XL running the latest Android 12 image.
- Tried direct install.

Some helpful person (Mr. Intoxicated.mad from the Telegram group) posted some instructions.

4) Open Magisk Manager and click top Install and patch boot.img. When done, go back and repeat the process for vendor_boot.img
6) Run this command:

It flashes, the phone boots, but Magisk Manager shows up like there is no actual root.
Tried the same steps with flash boot_a and flash boot_b and also flash boot (so just everything), but no change.

So I've tried:
- Magisk Canary direct install: Root works, but Direct Install -> CrashDump soft brick

Maybe Canary + root both vendor_boot and boot images? I haven't tried that one yet...
I have always rooted my phones, right now i am rooted on OOS 11 for OnePlus 9 Pro, should I follow the tutorial provided at [GUIDE] [Magisk] [Unlock / ROOT / Keep Root] ? Not sure if it is updated for OOS 12 or not yet.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Could you extract your boot.img? I am also with eu, maybe i would had less steps to make ;)

It's 40MB unfortunately so I don't think XDA would let me attach it.
Also try to source most steps, files from "trusted places". Don't run these "packs" you can find in Google and whatnot. Not that I personally would ever try to harm any of our fellow XDA members, but you get the idea. The internet and people can be nasty.

You can do "payload-dumper-go.exe -p boot payloadfile" and then it only extracts the payload.

Also one thing people!
For me, something installed a C:\Android\ folder with Fastboot and ADB.
ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO USE LATEST, OFFICIAL FASTBOOT AND ADB!!!!!

I know. Lot of exclamation marks and bold font.
But I've spent SO MUCH time because of this.
Even though I've had the "platform-tools" folder added to my PATH, this other thing appeared higher in the list for Windows.

So.
1) Open CMD.
2) Type "where fastboot"

Then you can make sure if you are using the one you want.
Where to get a "good fastboot"?

Extract it, and you can add it to Path.
How to add to Path? In Win10/11, type "Path" in Start. And "Edit system environment variables" comes up.
Then click "Environment Variables" on the bottom of the newly opened System Properties window.
Double click "Path" , "New" and then just paste in the path. Like: C:\junk\platform-tools-123\

You don't have to mess with all this though. But ALWAYS make sure you are running the adb/fastboot you want!

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Reactions: tazoman

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Later on how would we switch to canary or beta if it works again, and did u clean flash oos 12 or just update? Any bugs?

Well, root definitely works (tried with Call Recorder).

You can simply uninstall the Magisk Manager, grab whichever you want (stable, canary) and then patch the latest boot.img. Just like now. Nothing tricky honestly. Once you update to a new system version, your boot.img will return to stock/unrooted anyway.

Though, Canary is like... super-alpha. It's supposed to be bleeding-edge, the freshest. So it's weird Canary failed, while Alpha works fine.

I updated via OTA. I don't think OnePlus provides flashable ZIPs at all. To do a Pixel like, full fastboot "-w" wipe update. You could upgrade and then wipe. But other than that...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you try https://t.me/s/magiskalpha ? It's all about OOS12 or AOSP (custom) A12 ?

Basic steps:
    I have always rooted my phones, right now i am rooted on OOS 11 for OnePlus 9 Pro, should I follow the tutorial provided at [GUIDE] [Magisk] [Unlock / ROOT / Keep Root] ? Not sure if it is updated for OOS 12 or not yet.
    I just used the "Keep Root and OTA Updates" portion of that guide to update from OB3 to OOS12 stable without any issues, BUT I used magisk alpha (linked above). Here's what I did:
    1. Install latest magisk alpha apk
    2. From magisk manager, do direct install of alpha magisk - REBOOT
    3. Download full update
    4. Install update - DON'T REBOOT
    5. From magisk manager, install to inactive slot - REBOOT

Thank you! Unfortunately, this does not work; but there is a solution in the thread. I've just changed the topic to say [SOLVED], I forgot about it, sorry.
    Actually everything seems to be the same, other than the need to use magisk alpha instead of canary. As long as you're still rooted on the previous version, the usual upgrade process works without needing to mess with patching boot.img.
    So to root OOS 12 we just have to follow the same instructions as we did for OOS 11 but use "Alpha Magisk" ?

Basically, yes.

Just follow the Direct Install route.
    As explained before in small steps, extract boot.img from update zip; patch with Magisk app on phone; boot patched image file via fastboot from PC; open Magisk Manager, choose Direct Install, reboot, done.

- Tried direct install.

6) Run this command:

So I've tried: