[SOLVED] Mediatek quad core gps tracking bug solved: very easy.

Search This thread

elsita

Nov 16, 2009
One user in endomondo forums (sorry but the link does not work when I put it) has posted a solution for this annoying problem affecting to all mobiles using mediatek 6589 or 6589T processor.

You only need to add a line to the build.prop file located in system directory, so you need to be root, framaroot works fine with this processor.

The line alters the behavior of the JIT compiler, surpassing the bug, and all tracking and sports applications like mytracks, endomondo and every other one, now report accurate data in distance and speed.

The line you have to add is this:

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

I added it at the end of my buld.prop (caesar h7500+ with last zopo stock rom) after another line starting with dalvik. too, using es file explorer editor, no need to change file permissions with this software, but you need to be able to write system. This is how the end of my build.prop is now:

ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

# begin adupsfota properties
ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo
ro.adups.fota.device=ZP800H
ro.adups.fota.version=ZP800H 20130604-192031

Other users have used build prop editor from the play store with success.

This solution has been extensively tried and tested in spanish forums htcmania and movilesdualsim (this post and folowing), and it works in every phone.

Some custom roms, have a different build.prop file and users have reported as failure, so if you are using a custom rom and the problem is not solved, I advice you flash a stock rom and try afterwards.

Some users report also higher antutu values after the patch, so it seems that the changing in jit compiler working mode does not compromise phone efficiency.

jackiechin

Apr 18, 2011
I will try decompile the app and add android:vmSafeMode = true under Application tag.

After decompiled the app and did the modificaton I said. The distance or speed measuring are back to normal state, but the flip map layer wont display anything.

So a modified app signed by myself will solve the mtk6589 issue but also bring new problems.

Mtk6589 or CM10.1 users can test the modified version (enable vmSafeMode)
TEST_MTK6589_Endomondo Sports Tracker Pro v9.0.2.apk (11.3 MB)
https://
mega.co.nz/#!MNJU3QoB!Z63HBVAH-c4JgsY0oBIKoCXMtopzsFaUWhGu66jU9GM

Last edited:

luca_vivi

Sep 26, 2011
Como Lake
One user in endomondo forums (sorry but the link does not work when I put it) has posted a solution for this annoying problem affecting to all mobiles using mediatek 6589 or 6589T processor.

You only need to add a line to the build.prop file located in system directory, so you need to be root, framaroot works fine with this processor.

The line alters the behavior of the JIT compiler, surpassing the bug, and all tracking and sports applications like mytracks, endomondo and every other one, now report accurate data in distance and speed.

I added it at the end of my buld.prop (caesar h7500+ with last zopo stock rom) after another line starting with dalvik. too, using es file explorer editor, no need to change file permissions with this software, but you need to be able to write system. This is how the end of my build.prop is now:

net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

This solution has been extensively tried and tested in spanish forums htcmania and movilesdualsim (this post and folowing), and it works in every phone.

Some custom roms, have a different build.prop file and users have reported as failure, so if you are using a custom rom and the problem is not solved, I advice you flash a stock rom and try afterwards.

Some users report also higher antutu values after the patch, so it seems that the changing in jit compiler working mode does not compromise phone efficiency.

HY

can you write a step-by-step guide for newbies?

Thank you so much

Reactions: andronath

Daemonarch2k

Oct 2, 2012
Dortmund
After decompiled the app and did the modificaton I said. The distance or speed measuring are back to normal state, but the flip map layer wont display anything.

So a modified app signed by myself will solve the mtk6589 issue but also bring new problems.

Works perfectly, thank you bro!

Ties(to)

Dec 25, 2008
Venlo

net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

Wowww, you're an :angel:!!!

Since I'm using my Zopo ZP980 smartphone with Android 4.2.1 I couldn't use my favourite running app (Endomondo) but after reading and follow your instructions it's working perfectly.

For luca_vivi below my step-by-step:

1) Root your device (Google search)
2) Download BuildProp Editor in from the Google Play Store
3) Start BuildProp Editor
4) Click on the pencil icon right bottom
5) Search the line dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt en typ onder deze regel dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

If above done you'll have something like:

---
net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo
---

6) Click on the save icon left top
7) Restart your device and now it should work

benbassa

Dec 6, 2013
Still need some help, please :)

I did the fix above (dalvik .... int:fast) on my doogee DG100 (MTK6572) which could not attain any lock before.
under GPSTest it now locks even indoors close to the window.

But when ever I move to any other application (google maps, waze, ...) it looses lock and hence the GPS is still useless :(.

Any ideas ??

thanks.

Last edited:

elsita

Nov 16, 2009
I did the fix above (dalvik .... int:fast) on my doogee DG100 (MTK6572) which could not attain any lock before.
under GPSTest it now locks even indoors close to the window.

But when ever I move to any other application (google maps, waze, ...) it looses lock and hence the GPS is still useless :(.

Any ideas ??

thanks.

this thread is not for your micro, ask somewhere else

Enviado desde mi ZP800 usando Tapatalk 2

kruga

Dec 4, 2013
this thread is not for your micro, ask somewhere else

Enviado desde mi ZP800 usando Tapatalk 2

Used the fix and Endomondo improved slightly, but distances are still wrong. A ~1.6-1.7km stretch is being reported as 1.9-2.0 which is not nice when I want to track how much I walk everyday. What the fix did was to improve the distance accuracy a bit as well as, more importantly, the starting point, which was off earlier.

Tried Runtastic and it seems to record distances correctly. Will test over the next few days, but I do like Endomondo.

PS: Does unrooting after making changes had any negative impact on the accuracy?
PS2: Any tweak to improve gps fix time? Its very erratic currently, sometimes I get in <15 secs, a couple of times I waited for ~4 mins and couldn't get a lock. Had to reboot and then it worked.

kruga

Dec 4, 2013
I'm using runkeeper, and ex/importing the tracks to my old endomondo-account. A bit work, but better than the nerving endomondo-app.

I am trying Runkeeper also (along with Endomondo, Runtastic and Sportypal), but found that while Runkeeper was more accurate than Endomondo, it was not as accuratte as Runtastic. Maybe you want to confirm the distances with Google Maps if accuracy is critical to you.

spljoe

Feb 6, 2012
Clarification - side effects ???

What kind of new problems are you talking about? Is it something to do only with the app, endomondo or some phone features will get affected ??? Could u pls clarify ???

z2168235

Jan 8, 2014
Singapore

Since I'm using my Zopo ZP980 smartphone with Android 4.2.1 I couldn't use my favourite running app (Endomondo) but after reading and follow your instructions it's working perfectly.

5) Search the line dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt en typ onder deze regel dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

---
net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo
---

can I use this method for other phone brand?

if can, what should I put on the below section? it seems like entering the phone model, etc

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

laresiies

Dec 2, 2009
Hi!,

I added the line "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast" in my buildprop, and it seems to works in Endomondo app with an error about 10%, in distance and altitude. But if I use Sports Trackers, app that I used, the error is very high.

Someone has use Sports Trackers app?

Thanks for everything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

---
    net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo
    ---

I will try decompile the app and add android:vmSafeMode = true under Application tag.

net.bt.name=Android

ro.adups.fota.oem=Vanzo

HY

can you write a step-by-step guide for newbies?

Thank you so much
    Tested with Galaxy Note 3 Clone
    MTK6589 QuadCore 1.2Ghz
    Model : SM-N900

is not working..i am not able to find any GPS Satellites...

if you don't see any satellites this fix is not for you!
    this fix is for devices that "see" satellites and got a fix position.
    please search the forum for getting gps to work on MTK devices.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone