• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP - HardBricked my OnePlus 5T

Search This thread

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
Dear Community,

I just searched the past 2 days for a solution but I've not been lucky :(
Therefore I'd like to ask for help in this forum and hope there is some additional hint or hack I could try...:

So here's the situation:
  • OnePlus 5T (8/128) with a non booting or not "useful" OS (see last point what I've tried)
  • No TWRP or CWM
  • Stock Recovery present
  • Bootloader Locked
  • Allow Bootloader to be unlocked = FALSE

What I've already tried yet:
  • Flashing TWRP --> Not possible Bootloader Locked
  • Flashing regarding any other kinds like "update" or "flash all" as provided with TOOL_ALL_IN_ONE
  • ADB Sideload any available ROMS (Original "full" OP5T / FreedomOS / Omni8) --> ADB stops at 47% in Stock Recovery regardless of size of the ZIP file
  • Tried different versions of ADB (32 & 64 Bit / older & new / also with the LargeAddressAware approach / and on multiple PC's) --> Always same error (47%)
  • Stumbled upon the possibility to EmergencyDownload a factory flash due to Qualcomm chipset using the MSM-Download-Tool --> Only OnePlus 5 ROM available (no "T")
  • Mentioned EDL procedure works and OS is booting BUT neither Touchscreen nor USB OTG (for external mouse support) is working --> So I can't navigate and allow Bootloader to be unlocked again

Unfortunately I'm now stuck and have no more idea how to unbrick my phone again :confused:

What would help:
  • Any source to MSM-Download-Tool packed with a correct ROM for the OnePlus 5T
  • A Workaround to just flash TWRP via MSM-Download-Tool or Qualcomm's QFIL application in EDL mode
  • Some "hack" to bypass the locked Bootloader situation
  • Every appreciated Input you might have that I'm currently not aware of...

So PLEASE let me know of any approach that I could try or if you might have found a link or something else to a solution that might help me out of this disaster...

Many thanks in advance!

Tryouts due to your feedback:

@dreinulldrei - "fastboot boot recovery.img" tried with the original 5T Recovery.img also with blu_spark TWRP --> no luck...

SOLVED SOLUTION:
As the EDL factory flash ROM is currently not (or will never officially be) available public getting in contact with the OnePlus support team is required.
They have such a recovery tool (MSM-Download-Tool) with an appropriate ROM and are able to flash the device during a remote support session conducted via chat.
So by starting a chat on the OnePlus Support page and describing your situation will lead to scheduled time slot where a Level-2 technician will do all required steps remotely.
(All files are password protected and the technician ensures they are deleted at the end of the session so I'm unfortunately not able to provide the sources for DIY purposes...)

Last edited:

crakerjac

Dec 24, 2011
Following. I would think there would be some way to flash some sort of signed image via fastboot...

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
U flashed a 5 os to it, using the msmtool try to extract those files from 5t os, I will do it when I get home and so u can try it, i can't guarantee anything though, would u like me to do that for u

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
U flashed a 5 os to it, using the msmtool try to extract those files from 5t os, I will do it when I get home and so u can try it, i can't guarantee anything though, would u like me to do that for u

Thanks for your input - I'm really not aware of how to generate such *.ops ROM files as this is what the MSM Tool expects...
But if there is a way and you are able to extract and produce a MSM flashable file I would be very happy to try!

dreinulldrei

Nov 4, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
I would recommend trying to boot a OP5T recovery, you might have flashed some OP5 rom including OP5 recovery. Just go into fastboot (power on with volume up pressed down), then via cmd:

fastboot boot recovery.img

Since OP does not offer the recovery to be downloaded, it will need to be downloaded from a working device. Lacking the cable right where I am, but I am sure someone else can help out.

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
Following. I would think there would be some way to flash some sort of signed image via fastboot...

Thanks for the input - I forgot to mention I also tried the 2 original available OP5T "full" ZIP ROM's (think they should be signed...)
Will add this to the initial Post but I assume also no chance here...

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
I would recommend trying to boot a OP5T recovery, you might have flashed some OP5 rom including OP5 recovery. Just go into fastboot (power on with volume up pressed down), then via cmd:

fastboot boot recovery.img

Since OP does not offer the recovery to be downloaded, it will need to be downloaded from a working device. Lacking the cable right where I am, but I am sure someone else can help out.

Ohhh good point - I also think there is the "wrong" recovery (from 5) currently on my phone (because also there the touchscreen behaves unexpectedly...)
But unfortunately with your command I get the "Your device is corrupted. It can't be trusted and will not boot" message.
Tried this with the original 5T Recovery.img I managed to obtain and also with the blu_spark TWRP - no luck...

WMerkens

Dec 8, 2017
Submit a ticket to One Plus

You are going to have to submit a ticket, they will arrange a time to help you by unbricking the phone remotely.

I just had to do this myself this week, and it got done today.

I do have the 5t unbricking files but I cannot access the archive because it's password protected.

Last edited:

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
OnePlus may be able to help with this one, but all root guides explicitly include the phrase "at your own risk."

U may have to make a call to oneplus so they can restore for u

You are going to have to submit a ticket, they will arrange a time to help you by unbricking the phone remotely.

I do have the 5t unbricking files but I cannot access the archive because it's password protected.

Thanks for all your advice - so I will arrange a support chat/ticket as soon as possible and inform about the result in this thread.
Didn't thought that OnePlus Support Team would even care about such bricks (no warranty / own risk / "playing" with root / etc...)
But as indeed they seem to help like @WMerkens experienced I would be very happy to have a working device again :D

jerrywmilton

Sep 15, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Thanks for all your advice - so I will arrange a support chat/ticket as soon as possible and inform about the result in this thread.
Didn't thought that OnePlus Support Team would even care about such bricks (no warranty / own risk / "playing" with root / etc...)
But as indeed they seem to help like @WMerkens experienced I would be very happy to have a working device again :D
don't know why you would think that OP wouldn't help...they have said from day one that unlocking/rooting does not void your warranty. Heck they encourage it. I assume you are the same person on the OP forum w/ this problem. Hopefully after you get this resolved you will have learned to NEVER EVER RELOCK your phone unless you do the whole factory image qualcomm recovery tool bit. and experienced OP folks on this forum know any claims of a "hardbricked" OP phone is ALWAYS not true.

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
Yeah oneplus used to be good about and does a remote session to restore, this was back in the one plus one days though, but I think they still do it

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Awwww I wish we could get them, do they use the msmtool too?

WMerkens

Dec 8, 2017
How I bricked a 5t

I got the phone and I had installed twrp, that went fine. I was looking at magick systemless rooter when the phone then kicked in with a OTA update, I chose to ignore it the first time. It occurred again a few minutes and in my haste I let it do it's job but it did not complete correctly. I rebooted and the phone complained about corruption to the OS, I got in again but made the dumb mistake of re enabling the OEM lock and because I thought that might be causing the problem. I rebooted again but now I could not boot any more into the OS, it complained I was corrupted and go to google to see what to do.

So I was left with a bricked phone.

I could do bootloader but not recovery and I could not unlock the bootloader.

I could not get in via adb usb debug, So after much research I download the OnePlus 5 unbricking pack and learned a whole lot about qualicom and EDL mode, plus I learned a lot about the QFIL tools and restoring a phone. I did the 5 unbrick but my screen ended up upside down but the touch was right side up, which resulted in a very hard to use phone.

I tried the QFIL method but I was missing a mdb file to be able to talk to the phone.

So I gave up submitted a ticket and after much bad co-ordination on their part got a level 2 tech to debrick the phone remotely.

They do a reverse VPN and connect to your computer, they tell you to have 2 files archive ready in a folder on your desktop (they supply the links). They install the EDL driver and unpack the debrick archive. The archives are password protected, they run the tool and restore the phone
back to factory.

They erase the unpacked archives after they are done.

Reactions: acarzeyd

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017
don't know why you would think that OP wouldn't help...they have said from day one that unlocking/rooting does not void your warranty. Heck they encourage it. I assume you are the same person on the OP forum w/ this problem. Hopefully after you get this resolved you will have learned to NEVER EVER RELOCK your phone unless you do the whole factory image qualcomm recovery tool bit. and experienced OP folks on this forum know any claims of a "hardbricked" OP phone is ALWAYS not true.

Oh yes I've learned my lesson on this :angel: --> Never ever set OEM to be unlocked to NO again
Obviously I do not exactly know what wrong procedure made me stuck in this situation but I just wanted to revert every single step back one by one to see which element brings me back to a valid SafetyNet situation...
I've been with the OnePlus "family" since the OP1 but never needed any direct support from the vendor - so every time there's a first time and so for me now...
Thus I really didn't know OP staff is actively doing remote support for their devices - but thumbs up for that! :good:
(BTW: I'm not the guy from the OP forum)

WMerkens

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah oneplus used to be good about and does a remote session to restore, this was back in the one plus one days though, but I think they still do it

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Yes basically it's the same archive as the 5 unbrick pack but it's for 5t, OnePlus 5T OxygenOS 4.7.2-171116.zip is the archive and you can look in it and you see the ops file is for dumpling not cheesburger, which is the code name for 5t. I saw the MsmDownloadTool is 4.0.8

CodeXter

Sep 2, 2017

I just had a chat with them before and got mailed a link to the MSMTool incl. ROM for the OP5T (dumpling)
But unfortunatley support files from OnePlus are password protected :( Nevertheless here the original vendor link:
https://onepluscn-my.sharepoint.com/personal/sheva_liu_oneplus_net/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0fde9596c72744b4fb9c073ca5d87edbe&authkey=AQPXKRi7pdIzZX-5WH_pwWg&e=1030aa0046da4d1aa9189020027d9c93

So I have to wait for my remote support schedule on Saturday to have the L2 technician entering the password and do the rest.
Would be able to do this myself but OnePlus obviously wants to protect their sources what I have to accept, respect and be patient for...

Reactions: Bradl79

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Community,

I just searched the past 2 days for a solution but I've not been lucky :(
    Therefore I'd like to ask for help in this forum and hope there is some additional hint or hack I could try...:

So here's the situation:
    • OnePlus 5T (8/128) with a non booting or not "useful" OS (see last point what I've tried)
    • No TWRP or CWM
    • Stock Recovery present
    • Bootloader Locked
    • Allow Bootloader to be unlocked = FALSE

What I've already tried yet:
    • Flashing TWRP --> Not possible Bootloader Locked
    • Flashing regarding any other kinds like "update" or "flash all" as provided with TOOL_ALL_IN_ONE
    • ADB Sideload any available ROMS (Original "full" OP5T / FreedomOS / Omni8) --> ADB stops at 47% in Stock Recovery regardless of size of the ZIP file
    • Tried different versions of ADB (32 & 64 Bit / older & new / also with the LargeAddressAware approach / and on multiple PC's) --> Always same error (47%)
    • Stumbled upon the possibility to EmergencyDownload a factory flash due to Qualcomm chipset using the MSM-Download-Tool --> Only OnePlus 5 ROM available (no "T")
    • Mentioned EDL procedure works and OS is booting BUT neither Touchscreen nor USB OTG (for external mouse support) is working --> So I can't navigate and allow Bootloader to be unlocked again

Unfortunately I'm now stuck and have no more idea how to unbrick my phone again :confused:

What would help:
    • Any source to MSM-Download-Tool packed with a correct ROM for the OnePlus 5T
    • A Workaround to just flash TWRP via MSM-Download-Tool or Qualcomm's QFIL application in EDL mode
    • Some "hack" to bypass the locked Bootloader situation
    • Every appreciated Input you might have that I'm currently not aware of...

So PLEASE let me know of any approach that I could try or if you might have found a link or something else to a solution that might help me out of this disaster...

Many thanks in advance!

Tryouts due to your feedback:

@dreinulldrei - "fastboot boot recovery.img" tried with the original 5T Recovery.img also with blu_spark TWRP --> no luck...

SOLVED SOLUTION:
    As the EDL factory flash ROM is currently not (or will never officially be) available public getting in contact with the OnePlus support team is required.
    They have such a recovery tool (MSM-Download-Tool) with an appropriate ROM and are able to flash the device during a remote support session conducted via chat.
    So by starting a chat on the OnePlus Support page and describing your situation will lead to scheduled time slot where a Level-2 technician will do all required steps remotely.
    (All files are password protected and the technician ensures they are deleted at the end of the session so I'm unfortunately not able to provide the sources for DIY purposes...)
    How I bricked a 5t

I got the phone and I had installed twrp, that went fine. I was looking at magick systemless rooter when the phone then kicked in with a OTA update, I chose to ignore it the first time. It occurred again a few minutes and in my haste I let it do it's job but it did not complete correctly. I rebooted and the phone complained about corruption to the OS, I got in again but made the dumb mistake of re enabling the OEM lock and because I thought that might be causing the problem. I rebooted again but now I could not boot any more into the OS, it complained I was corrupted and go to google to see what to do.

So I was left with a bricked phone.

I could do bootloader but not recovery and I could not unlock the bootloader.

I could not get in via adb usb debug, So after much research I download the OnePlus 5 unbricking pack and learned a whole lot about qualicom and EDL mode, plus I learned a lot about the QFIL tools and restoring a phone. I did the 5 unbrick but my screen ended up upside down but the touch was right side up, which resulted in a very hard to use phone.

I tried the QFIL method but I was missing a mdb file to be able to talk to the phone.

So I gave up submitted a ticket and after much bad co-ordination on their part got a level 2 tech to debrick the phone remotely.

They do a reverse VPN and connect to your computer, they tell you to have 2 files archive ready in a folder on your desktop (they supply the links). They install the EDL driver and unpack the debrick archive. The archives are password protected, they run the tool and restore the phone
    back to factory.

They erase the unpacked archives after they are done.

I just had a chat with them before and got mailed a link to the MSMTool incl. ROM for the OP5T (dumpling)
    But unfortunatley support files from OnePlus are password protected :( Nevertheless here the original vendor link:
    https://onepluscn-my.sharepoint.com/personal/sheva_liu_oneplus_net/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0fde9596c72744b4fb9c073ca5d87edbe&authkey=AQPXKRi7pdIzZX-5WH_pwWg&e=1030aa0046da4d1aa9189020027d9c93

So I have to wait for my remote support schedule on Saturday to have the L2 technician entering the password and do the rest.
    Would be able to do this myself but OnePlus obviously wants to protect their sources what I have to accept, respect and be patient for...
    Hi there!
    Having the same issue at the moment. Dont really want to wait to much since I actually needs my phone (btw I've bricked my phone by uninstalling magisk from the app and not using the zip file...). Did anyone tried this http://www.oneplusbbs.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3836845&extra=page=1&filter=typeid&typeid=136 ? EDIT : We need a Baidu account to download the files for the 2nd method (with OOS).. Anyone ?

And I can access to TWRP, but since my phone is still protected with a pin code, and twrp doesn't ask me that pin, I can't access my files at all so I can't flash anything...

EDIT : I managed to get the files, but it did not worked. Using MSM Download Tool from this link https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/help/unbrick-guide-5t-t3720125/ worked like a charm!