Search This thread

joekerr00

Mar 8, 2016
I'm having the same issue, I'm not sure how it happened but after a reboot the phone kept going into edl mode, if I let the battery drain it would reboot to system with no issues, but after me messing with the ROM (unsuccessfully trying to flash it from twrp/fox) it ended being stuck in edl and not being able to reboot I took it to the local mi service center they did something to it that allowed it to boot, they did change ROM I was on EMEA ROM they put Global ROM, sadly after two reboots it got stuck in edl mode and now I can't seam to drain the battery even if I let the phone sit for days and I connect it to a pc it enters edl mode, battery charge animation does not appear, I tried modified loader with both GLOBAL ROM and Eng rom from post above (I don't think it's engineer but english rom) they both flash in edl mode but the phone does not exit edl mode :(
this is a fairly cheap phone and servicing it is getting not worth it, while I did enjoy poco for a year or so this edl bug is making me think twice about the brand.
I'm willing to try soldering the area but I can't seam to open the case I tried a pick but it's too tight, maybe the back case is glued and it needs to be heated, any info on how to open back case and access that point would be appreciated.
I'm thinking maybe edl is a symptom not really cause for our issues but I have no idea what?
after doing some googling I found a similar issue for a Nokia device
when I was trying to boot with twrp installed I did get a enablefilecrypto_failed error in twrp, there is a fix here but I can't boot into recovery to try it out my device is permanently stuck in edl

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
Until recently my Poco M3 was a great backup to my daily Huawei.

Updated Google play system update & the system needed a restart. It didn't restart, it died, I left it for days, trying hard reset, rebooting, powering on etc, nothing for days, none of the solutions offered.

Only once the screen came on and showed battery at 100%, when I left it on charge. After about 2 weeks I gave up, opened the phone, disconnected the battery etc. No luck, although the pc saw the phone as emergency suite mode or whatever it was called before I updated the driver to the Qualcomm. Was unable to flash anything, tried as I had no idea how else to boot up the phone. Its been a nightmare getting things to work, but eventually thanks to this post I found the firehose file to bypass the authentication with the version of MI Flash. Was able to successfully flash the original version global.

Managed to get the logo, vibrate, charging percentage but no boot. Unsure what's next, but after this working to dead phone, I'm unsure I'd be will to recommend or invest in the brand. Such an old problem that still in ongoing in 2022. There should be a fix by the manufacturer.

Otherwise thanks for all those easing the pain of this nightmare great working undamaged phone can cant power up.

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
Btw I've never custom flashed, always used official, have never messed with the original firmware, did not do anything to unlock bootloader,

Until this crash into EDL it was updated to latest official firmware.

Removed battery this morning for a few minutes, replaced connector and booted fully, completed setup as said it was factory reset. All data erased. Powered off to test & not booting up again.

Absolutely a big waste of time to boot a phone and can't power off or reboot 😑

Disconnected battery, held power button while inserting ribbon cable, it booted again 😐, do I dare power off 😖

joekerr00

Mar 8, 2016
I was also on stock rom I didn't install anything custom aside from magisk.

ps. my phone woke up from edl with a nv data error, it's quite possibly a hardware issue, or this might have been caused by me selecting erase all when re-flashing it.
I'll take it to the service, I still have the box that has the IMEI on it.

rotoko

Oct 17, 2011
Bratislava
I was also on stock rom I didn't install anything custom aside from magisk.

ps. my phone woke up from edl with a nv data error, it's quite possibly a hardware issue, or this might have been caused by me selecting erase all when re-flashing it.
I'll take it to the service, I still have the box that has the IMEI on it.
When the phone switches to edl, it is a software error, thankfully easy to solve.

joekerr00

Mar 8, 2016
How do you solve it, I don't think soldering the mobo is a fix
I know when my device entered edl it was after a system update I couldn't get it out of edl, I think it was my attempt to do a clean flash with mi tool that messed up nv data.
I took the phone to the local mi service center, if they fix it I'll write

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

My Case | The Beginning (November 18, 2021):

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

A while ago I unlocked Bootloader from my POCO M3 European [EU] [citrus] and downgraded MIUI (12.5.2.0 to 12.0.3.0) because the update had made the experience worse in several things. I managed to do this and used my POCO for several weeks normally. This week I simply had to Restart the device, and then it didn't turn on anymore. There have been no updates applied, I have not confirmed this. He died and when connecting to the Computer I noticed that he was in EDL Mode (Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008). From there, after tirelessly searching forums and countless websites, I did this:
    • I found the POCO M3 Engineering ROM and through the Firehose File that came in it I managed to bypass Xiaomi's EDL Authentication. I used this Firehose in the Original ROM and managed to install it normally.
    • I installed the engineering version, I also tried the Original version 12.0.3.0 (oldest 12.0) and also the Original version 12.0.11.0 (latest 12.0), but after successful installation the device wouldn't reboot (stuck in the EDL). [Note: with this method I installed using MiFlash and sometimes I also used QFIL, but the result was exactly the same]. If I used the Power and Volume buttons (different combinations) the device would restart but immediately return to the EDL.
    • I let the battery completely discharge and the next day I plugged the USB cable into the Computer (and the POCO) and this time it showed the charging icon (battery empty), and a few minutes later the screen turned on by itself (showing the POCO symbol ) and the battery icon appeared "1%" (charging). And so Windows recognized the device as "Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device" (in MiFlash it was recognized as "c12feb2e0720 device").
    • With high hopes, I opened the Command Prompt and tried to communicate with POCO through Fastboot and ADB, but both didn't see any devices (fastboot devices | adb devices) and that made any command impossible.
    • I tried to flash the Original ROMs again (using MiFlash), taking advantage of this "Strange Mode", but it didn't work, because in the first command the software didn't get a response from the device.
    • I noticed (by the MiFlash verbose) that the flash command was started with "fastboot -s c12feb2e0720...", so to access the device it would be necessary to specify where it was. Unfortunately, using the Command Prompt (as well as MiFlash), I was not successful, as in both cases the device did not "answer/return" anything.

―――――――――――――――――

Workarounds (Jun 02, 2022):

―――――――――――――――――

If your device is under warranty, use it for Xiaomi to repair it. If this is not your case, I have two alternatives that worked for me (the second is the one I use repeatedly with success).

Fully discharge the battery
    My device was 11% charged and I simply disconnected the battery cable from the device (manually) and waited for a many hours (If your device is heavily charged, you may need to wait for days for the battery to fully discharge). After reconnecting the battery and pressing the Power button (no USB Cable Connected) the POCO started normally.

Heating the Motherboard

Some time later I had to restart my POCO, but I knew that this would cause the "EDL Stuck Mode". Then I found that overheating a specific part of the Motherboard forced POCO out of EDL Mode and allowed the system to boot. From there, I disassembled my device (the SIMCard/SD Slot, the plastic cover and the protection above the cameras, that order), disconnected the wires that were attached to the motherboard (including fingerprint connector), and removed it. So, I turned it upside down and used a soldering iron to overheat a specific part for 5 minutes (the specific part is in this image). After those minutes, I reconnected everything and simply pressed the Power button, and POCO turned on normally.

*Note1: Make sure all connectors are properly plugged into the motherboard. Otherwise, Poco will not recognize the fingerprint or some other component.

*Note2:
    In my case, the 'procedure 2' needs to be used EVERY TIME I need to RESTART my device. And it also serves to apply OTA updates. {For example: when the update appears, confirm it. After it downloads, confirm to apply as normal. The phone will restart and get stuck in the EDL. Then use the above overheat procedure to turn on the device, and during the boot process the update will be applied.}

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

Flashing the MIUI ROM on EDL (with EDL Auth Bypass)

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

The safest way is using "MiFlash". Before starting, download the following files:
    - Qualcomm HS-USB Driver (64bit) or Qualcomm HS-USB Driver (32bit)
    - MIUI ROM (Fastboot version) (select your device variant: EEA/RU/Global/IN, etc...)
    - MiFlash (Xiaomi Flash Tool)
    - Firehose File (Bypass EDL Auth)

1. Install the Qualcomm Driver (if I haven't done so), restart the computer; connect your POCO and open Windows Device Manager (shortcut: Windows + X). In the "Serial Port" category, make sure your POCO (EDL Mode) appears as "Qualcomm HS-USB...". If yes, all right. Else, check that the drivers were installed correctly (no exclamation marks) or if your device is being recognized in another mode (ADB or Fastboot). If so, it will show up as "Android ADB Interface" or something similar, and that means your device is not in EDL (This is great news, so continue the tutorial as MiFlash will be able to flash the ROM in the alternate mode of your device. If you can't, let me know.).​
    2. Unzip the MIUI ROM until it becomes a folder. Inside the created folder, open the "images" folder and replace the downloaded "Firehose (Bypass EDL)" file with the one in the folder.​
    3. Run MiFlash, click "Refresh" and make sure your device appears in the device list. If yes, click "Select" and check the MIUI ROM folder (not the "images" folder).​
    4. Click on Flash and wait for the process to complete (the word "success" in green will appear).​
    Important: If your device is in EDL Mode, flash will delete all files on your device. But if the device is in ADB or Fastboot Mode, you can flash without erasing your files. Just look at the bottom of MiFlash and click "Save User Data". This script is expected to work.
    Hope this helps someone :)
    A while ago I unlocked Bootloader from my POCO M3 European [EU] [citrus] and downgraded MIUI (12.5.2.0 to 12.0.3.0) because the update had made the experience worse in several things. I managed to do this and used my POCO for several weeks normally.

This week I simply had to Restart the device, and then it didn't turn on anymore. There have been no updates applied, I have not confirmed this. He died and when connecting to the Computer I noticed that he was in EDL Mode (Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008). From there, after tirelessly searching forums and countless websites, I did this:

• I found the POCO M3 Engineering ROM and through the Firehose File that came in it I managed to bypass Xiaomi's EDL Authentication. I used this Firehose in the Original ROM and managed to install it normally.
    • I installed the engineering version, I also tried the Original version 12.0.3.0 (oldest 12.0) and also the Original version 12.0.11.0 (latest 12.0), but after successful installation the device wouldn't reboot (stuck in the EDL). [Note: with this method I installed using MiFlash and sometimes I also used QFIL, but the result was exactly the same]. If I used the Power and Volume buttons (different combinations) the device would restart but immediately return to the EDL.
    • I let the battery completely discharge and the next day I plugged the USB cable into the Computer (and the POCO) and this time it showed the charging icon (battery empty), and a few minutes later the screen turned on by itself (showing the POCO symbol ) and the battery icon appeared "1%" (charging). And so Windows recognized the device as "Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device" (in MiFlash it was recognized as "c12feb2e0720 device").
    • With high hopes, I opened the Command Prompt and tried to communicate with POCO through Fastboot and ADB, but both didn't see any devices (fastboot devices | adb devices) and that made any command impossible.
    • I tried to flash the Original ROMs again (using MiFlash), taking advantage of this "Strange Mode", but it didn't work, because in the first command the software didn't get a response from the device.
    • I noticed (by the MiFlash verbose) that the flash command was started with "fastboot -s c12feb2e0720...", so to access the device it would be necessary to specify where it was. Unfortunately, using the Command Prompt (as well as MiFlash), I was not successful, as in both cases the device did not "answer/return" anything.
    So far these are the progress I've made to Debricking my POCO M3, but I don't know what to do. Surely if I manage to resurrect my device I will make a tutorial to help other people, because this situation is terrible.

I SOLVE IT! After everything I did above (the device was 11% charged) I simply disconnected the battery from the device and left it for a few minutes (no battery connected). After reconnecting the battery and pressing the Power button (no USB Cable Connected) the POCO started normally.

Hope this helps someone :)

*Note: I'm using MIUI 12.0.3.0 (EU, older fastboot version possible) and I don't want to update. For Testing purposes, I restarted the device and confirmed: It gets stuck in the EDL again. But I just disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes, reconnect it and turn on the device normally, and i can use my Poco. The only main question now is: how can I restart/shutdown the device normally without getting stuck in the EDL? Any suggestion?
    If you were helped with this post, comment.
    my poco m3 is stuck in edl mode after update. But i can not flash it becuase it says " can not receive hello packet, trying to reset". Is there any solution
    too bad.. I figured out today it does concern my Poco M3 too..
    IMEI 8614600573...

check @sarabbafrani posts he made permanent fix!
    I was thinking about that, I will buy a pencil-type soldering iron, I will heat it only for a few seconds, I want to avoid damaging the plate, at least until I buy another cell phone, when I do the test I will be commenting on it. Thank you really for the support. Greetings and hugs from Venezuela.
    Good! But don't worry about damage, because if you touch the soldering iron in the indicated place for at least 5 minutes, the place's overheating is safe and will "release" the device from the EDL