• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Solved] S-Pen Dead Spot

Search This thread

Beherrschen

Mar 9, 2008
So, I noticed a dead spot about the size of a nickel on the right hand side of my screen while using the s-pen this morning. I did a search and decided that I would have to exchange the phone (and hope not to get a refurbished one return). Decided to show my wife and suddenly realized the problem (and the solution). I have the phone in a wallet case with a magnetic clip. Well it turns out that if you fold the magnetic clip around to the back side of the phone to get it out of the way then the s-pen will not work on top of it (duh).

So take this as a heads up. Careful with magnets near the screen while using s-pen.

PEACE!

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Free mobile app

Uglytuc

Jul 14, 2011
Thank you so much for posting this. Been trying to figure this out for days and was going to return the phone. This was my exact issue.

zSeijin

Aug 1, 2015
So, I noticed a dead spot about the size of a nickel on the right hand side of my screen while using the s-pen this morning. I did a search and decided that I would have to exchange the phone (and hope not to get a refurbished one return). Decided to show my wife and suddenly realized the problem (and the solution). I have the phone in a wallet case with a magnetic clip. Well it turns out that if you fold the magnetic clip around to the back side of the phone to get it out of the way then the s-pen will not work on top of it (duh).

So take this as a heads up. Careful with magnets near the screen while using s-pen.

PEACE!

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i can't believe i missed that. Thank you sir, i've been factory restoring my device for a month now repeatedly as, in between some restores, the screen becomes active. Turns out that was because i took off the cover at those times!!! This is lovely! All fixed now, Note EDGE BTW.

Reactions: Antipriest

Antipriest

Apr 30, 2013
You know, there should a fund for people like you! I had almost the same problem, but for added stupidity, the manufacturer of my case had hidden a magnet inside of the back of the phone, to keep the flip lid in place on the back. Took me a lot of effort and a lot of insulting conversations with the cellphone store clerk where "sometimes it works" being an ingredient.
I have how completed the easy part; using a scalpel to open the side of the case to remove the magnet.
Now to swallow my pride and go down to the phone store and explaining that "you were right, there is nothing wrong with the phone, this cheap knock-off case that I bought online is the problem". She should bill me for the hours spent trying to satisfy me, so that I could forward the bill to the online store.
God I feel stupid. And arrogant! And thankful!

dazbys

Mar 28, 2011
Thank you. Explains some random things I see, depending on how I'm using my case. Had magnets I didn't even know about...

Reactions: JWR SGH-S959G

Briscoe 18

Jan 13, 2018
Rectangular S Pen dead zone near bottom of screen-different, but similar cause fixed

This feed led me to the cause of my issue but it wasn't a magnetic case. I experienced this issue after installing a new battery from Energy Pal (extended life and NFC). I was able to correct my issue by placing a few strips of electrical tape and folded piece of aluminum foil between the battery and the upper part of the battery compartment (covering that raised rectangular area). I was super pleased to be able to use the entire screen area again.

Well done!

I haven't used the spend much since I got my new Note. Just laying in bed playing around with it and noticed the big deadspot in the center of the screen.

Just starting to get angry and decided to do a quick Google.

Never would have occurred to me it was the Steelie magnet on the case causing the issue!

Well done XDA. Saved the day again.

PEACE!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PEACE!

PEACE!

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i can't believe i missed that. Thank you sir, i've been factory restoring my device for a month now repeatedly as, in between some restores, the screen becomes active. Turns out that was because i took off the cover at those times!!! This is lovely! All fixed now, Note EDGE BTW.
    Thank you. Explains some random things I see, depending on how I'm using my case. Had magnets I didn't even know about...