• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Solved] Samsung S8 Dex without Dex Station

Search This thread

Meleor

Dec 11, 2012
This thread has one simple objective: unlock the Samsung S8 Dex UI without the Dex station
facx81.jpg

To better understand this new feature, let's say there is a software interface which is the DEX UI. It provides a true desktop interface from a mobile device and make your smartphone useful and practical when you need to work or entertain on a big screen. But Dex requires the DEX station, which can be compared to a hardware interface. It's a simple dock on which you can connect a TV, a keyboard, a mouse in order to use your smartphone as PC properly.
The problem is that the Dex station is very expansive for what it is ( a simple hub), and many of us just want to use the Dex UI on something else.

Here are some alternative solutions that could turn your Samsung S8 into a real computer:

The Mirabook
zoibtaiocrgoijmmgvrf.jpg

Your Smartphone is the ultimate pocket computer: Powerful, Connected and Practical. You could fully exploit its potential if it was not limited by its size and its interface.
The Mirabook unleashes the power of your Smartphone by turning it into a full-fledged Laptop with a large screen, a keyboard and a track pad.
Your Smartphone is now the only computer
As I'm contributor for their campaign, I had access to 3 secret links to pre-order at $180 and not $299, that I gladly share with you Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

The Superbook
20zel8x.png

At its core, the Superbook is a smart laptop shell that provides a large screen, keyboard and multi-touch trackpad, 8+ hours of battery, and phone charging capabilities.
When plugged into your Android smartphone, it launches our app to deliver the full laptop experience.
https://www.sentio.com/

Microsoft Dock/ HP Dock​
116i5no.jpg

Connect your Lumia 950 or 950 XL to a Display Dock and do more with an external monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. Office apps and Outlook scale up to create a big screen-optimized work environment that makes you more productive. It’s a PC-like experience that’s powered by your phone.
https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

Slimport adaptor​
2ns066r.jpg

The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter connects your SlimPort-enabled smartphone or tablet with a USB Type-C (USB-C) port to any HDMI-enabled TV, projector, or monitor at up to 4K Ultra HD (2160p), so your smartphone or tablet’s screen can be displayed on the big screen. The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter is plug-and-play easy to use, delivers the highest quality video-out from your phone/tablet, and there’s virtually no lag when video simultaneously appears on your phone’s screen and your TV screen.
Amazon Link

How to enable the Dex UI of the Samsung S8 on these alternative products?​

What I did:

-I try to run the app with a 3rd party launcher with root activated
-I tried to convert the system app to a user app

-I tried run the app through the android terminal. I may have done wrong but here is the result
https%3A%2F%2Fimage.noelshack.com%2Ffichiers%2F2017%2F19%2F1494513804-whatsapp-image-2017-05-11-at-16-41-42.jpeg

This thread will be updated. Thank you for your contributions

At the moment we don't know if Samsung has a hardware DRM or if it's a software one. :confused:

UPDATE: Good News ! Thanks to KarateKid430 and Kbarni there's a complete solution to unlock the DEX feature.

https://youtu.be/s50GWuKphTI
Thank you very much to all contributors of this thread.

Last edited:

nipuna

Aug 24, 2010
Good luck with your efforts. If successful, I can see a lot of possibilities.

Do you think s8/s8+ will work with HP lap dock? I'm not talking about the dex desktop software, but will it work so that we can use the screen and keyboard on the lap dock when connected via USB=C?

Did you by any chance get it working with the Microsoft dock?

karatekid430

May 28, 2017

What I did:

-I tried run the app through the android terminal. I may have done wrong but here is the result

At the moment we don't know if Samsung has a hardware DRM or if it's a software one. :confused:

At the end of the am start command, you need to append
--user '0'

Give that a try and post your findings. Great work so far!

Reactions: daddymikey1975

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
Okay as I posted in the other thread, we need to look at files
/sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state which is 109 for a Samsung TabPro S Multiport adapter, and 110 for the DeX.
/sys/class/dp_sec/dex which is 0 when not connected to DeX and 1 when it is.

If you have su, then please try echoing values into those and try again. I would but I am not rooted.

Thanks and best of luck!

Meleor

Dec 11, 2012
Okay as I posted in the other thread, we need to look at files
/sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state which is 109 for a Samsung TabPro S Multiport adapter, and 110 for the DeX.
/sys/class/dp_sec/dex which is 0 when not connected to DeX and 1 when it is.

If you have su, then please try echoing values into those and try again. I would but I am not rooted.

Thanks and best of luck!

I was just reading and trying just now haha.
Here is what I got:

1496743176-whatsapp-image-2017-06-06-at-11-55-35.jpeg

Am I doing this right or not ?

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
No. Just do the su command on its own first (literally two letters 'su' and hit enter) and grant root when it asks.

Then type the whoami command, hopefully you will be root or 0 or something.

Then do echo 1 > /sys/class/dp_sec/dex

And so on.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Wait, you did do it once correctly.

When it is successful it will not say anything.

You can check by going 'cat /sys/class/dp_sec/dex' and hopefully it will be 1 without being connected to DeX. Now try to launch the DeX activity, try using the quick shortcut maker app.

Meleor

Dec 11, 2012
No. Just do the su command on its own first (literally two letters 'su' and hit enter) and grant root when it asks.

Then type the whoami command, hopefully you will be root or 0 or something.

Then do echo 1 > /sys/class/dp_sec/dex

And so on.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Wait, you did do it once correctly.

When it is successful it will not say anything.

You can check by going 'cat /sys/class/dp_sec/dex' and hopefully it will be 1 without being connected to DeX. Now try to launch the DeX activity, try using the quick shortcut maker app.

Then I get this
1496762079-whatsapp-image-2017-06-06-at-17-08-51.jpeg

It seems like the phone does not have the right settings to fit the screen or something. when I spam the Dex application button, sometimes I see a black screen like if it's trying to launch the app, and one time I had a
landscape orientation black screen, so we're almost done I guess.

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
What did you have connected at the time? Was it an adapter with a display connection connected to a screen at the time?

If you do not have one, they are known as Multiport adapters, most commonly with a USB, HDMI and charging plug. There are so many brands of them it isn't funny. Ebay or Amazon.

Meleor

Dec 11, 2012
What did you have connected at the time? Was it an adapter with a display connection connected to a screen at the time?

If you do not have one, they are known as Multiport adapters, most commonly with a USB, HDMI and charging plug. There are so many brands of them it isn't funny. Ebay or Amazon.

the Microsoft HD-500 dock which is Slimport like the S8 and a monitor.

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
When it is connected, what is the value of /sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state ? When the dock is connected?

If it is zero then the dock mightn't be suitable.

Meleor

Dec 11, 2012
When it is connected, what is the value of /sys/class/switch/ccic_dock/state ? When the dock is connected?

If it is zero then the dock mightn't be suitable.

Yes it's 0.
Is this the DRM of Samsung acting ? Is is possible to bypass this ?
Do we have to test all the different docks to find which one is working except the dock station?

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
I don't know. But that value goes to 109 when I connect the Samsung TabPro S Multiport Adapter to it, and 110 for DeX. I don't know about non-Samsung accessories, but you perhaps need to find something that changes the value. WAIT OH. What's the chance that CCIC refers to the charge controller IC in the USB? As in PD mode? Only a guess, but it might indicate whether the device can charge. Then again, my DisplayPort adapters with PD support say zero. Anyway GMT +0800 so it's my bed time, I don't know about other people's timezones. Please keep me posted, and if anybody can offer any information or comments on this then it would be appreciated. Thanks for trying so far, I wish I had the balls to root the phone. Cheers!

Reactions: qbus00

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2011
London, UK
play.google.com
Just a quick note to help you guys.

DeX only launches when I have the official GS8 charger connected to the dock, no other charger will launch DeX mode. I wonder if this has a big part to play in why you cant get DeX to work through other techniques.

If you can identify why only the official S8 charger triggers DeX mode, that could enable you to workaround this problem.
So maybe you should try checking what system values change when you're connected to the charger and the dock separately?

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
Just a quick note to help you guys.

DeX only launches when I have the official GS8 charger connected to the dock, no other charger will launch DeX mode. I wonder if this has a big part to play in why you cant get DeX to work through other techniques.

If you can identify why only the official S8 charger triggers DeX mode, that could enable you to workaround this problem.
So maybe you should try checking what system values change when you're connected to the charger and the dock separately?

As I have said, the DeX works with a standard USB-C PD charger, and actually fast charges the phone. The EP-TA20 only cable charges it through the DeX. The DeX presumably demands too much power for normal USB chargers, so Samsung probably just made it refuse to start unless some kind of high power charger is attached.

I use the Asus UPD 3.1 Panel (100W Type-C) and an 8ware 1M 100W USB-C to USB-C cable (USB-IF certified).

karatekid430

May 28, 2017
Following this thread. Would love to see this come to fruition.

Please gather anybody who might have an interest and get them to make accounts here. Later on I will be starting a petition. It will take a few days as I am going to make it elaborate with images and diagrams. Let's kick Samsung's A and get the right to choose third party hardware, which is what USB-C is all about.

Thanks for following.

Reactions: Meleor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has one simple objective: unlock the Samsung S8 Dex UI without the Dex station
    facx81.jpg

To better understand this new feature, let's say there is a software interface which is the DEX UI. It provides a true desktop interface from a mobile device and make your smartphone useful and practical when you need to work or entertain on a big screen. But Dex requires the DEX station, which can be compared to a hardware interface. It's a simple dock on which you can connect a TV, a keyboard, a mouse in order to use your smartphone as PC properly.
    The problem is that the Dex station is very expansive for what it is ( a simple hub), and many of us just want to use the Dex UI on something else.

Here are some alternative solutions that could turn your Samsung S8 into a real computer:

The Mirabook
    zoibtaiocrgoijmmgvrf.jpg

Your Smartphone is the ultimate pocket computer: Powerful, Connected and Practical. You could fully exploit its potential if it was not limited by its size and its interface.
    The Mirabook unleashes the power of your Smartphone by turning it into a full-fledged Laptop with a large screen, a keyboard and a track pad.
    Your Smartphone is now the only computer
    As I'm contributor for their campaign, I had access to 3 secret links to pre-order at $180 and not $299, that I gladly share with you Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

The Superbook
    20zel8x.png

At its core, the Superbook is a smart laptop shell that provides a large screen, keyboard and multi-touch trackpad, 8+ hours of battery, and phone charging capabilities.
    When plugged into your Android smartphone, it launches our app to deliver the full laptop experience.
    https://www.sentio.com/

Microsoft Dock/ HP Dock​
    116i5no.jpg

Connect your Lumia 950 or 950 XL to a Display Dock and do more with an external monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. Office apps and Outlook scale up to create a big screen-optimized work environment that makes you more productive. It’s a PC-like experience that’s powered by your phone.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

Slimport adaptor​
    2ns066r.jpg

The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter connects your SlimPort-enabled smartphone or tablet with a USB Type-C (USB-C) port to any HDMI-enabled TV, projector, or monitor at up to 4K Ultra HD (2160p), so your smartphone or tablet’s screen can be displayed on the big screen. The SlimPort USB-C to HDMI Adapter is plug-and-play easy to use, delivers the highest quality video-out from your phone/tablet, and there’s virtually no lag when video simultaneously appears on your phone’s screen and your TV screen.
    Amazon Link

What I did:

https%3A%2F%2Fimage.noelshack.com%2Ffichiers%2F2017%2F19%2F1494513804-whatsapp-image-2017-05-11-at-16-41-42.jpeg

UPDATE: Good News ! Thanks to KarateKid430 and Kbarni there's a complete solution to unlock the DEX feature.

https://youtu.be/s50GWuKphTI
    Thank you very much to all contributors of this thread.
    Dex without Dex station on Oreo

YYYYEEEEEESSSSS!!!!! YESYESYES!!!!!
    ROCK'N ROLLL, BABY!!!

After spending my weekend on the hacking the kernel, I finally managed to launch Dex on my HDMI adapter!!!
    (seriously, I said this is my last try for today...and it worked!)

:victory: Everything works perfectly, even the touchpad! See attached image. :victory:

I have to clean up the code and I'll post the kernel patch here.
    Thanks.

But don't worry. I just got it working! See photo. So far tested with Samsung MultiPort adapter, Samsung HDMI adapter.

I am at university, so I will have to do more extensive testing at home.

I will revise my code and check that all my changes are actually required for it to work, and provide a minimal code patch.
    Ok, folks! After checking the modifications with @Noxxxious (thanks man!), here is the patch file for the kernel sources.

To add it to your kernel, just apply it to your local repo:

Code:
    git apply UniDex.patch
    Hi.

Before it would only work with official adapters from Samsung defined in the kernel. Now this is with the B3414 DisplayPort adapter from Ebay (theoretically capable of UHD60 if DeX were to support it).

In the coming days I will make a YouTube video to prove it, and tidy the code up. I have hardly any experience with Git and patches (which I should halfway through my MPE - Software Engineering). Now might be the time to learn.

If I were to offer this as part of the Jesse kernel to its developer, then we would need to decide if warnings need to be placed. Samsung clearly had money in mind when doing this. But some of it might have been to prevent the remote possibility of an explosion after the Note 7 fiasco. So it might be wise to issue a warning to not operate DeX under mountains of garbage on your desk in direct sunlight whilst fast charging with an uncertified charger and multiport adapter.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Although I have had to figure out most of it myself, the clues and hints from here most certainly played a major part in achieving a result. I got my phone back on the afternoon of Monday 2017.08.21 and since then it has all fallen into place, despite having had an assignment deadline for Tuesday. It turns out my previous few weeks of frustration had actually resulted in working kernels, but due to the screen having been smashed, I clearly didn't realise that the problem was a mismatched bootloader.

My hope now is that we can attract enough attention to convince Samsung to open this up to any hardware - or at least start a certification program for other vendors' products. Otherwise, in sheer frustration, I will probably start the futile task of figuring out how to produce hash collisions in order to flash my own kernel without tripping KNOX. Yeah, right. :D

Oops, my date on my phone was set a day behind and I forgot to revert it. They were definitely taken today (23rd)