[SOLVED] WiFi Completely Broken …

Search This thread

PeterGuru

Mar 23, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Okay, cool to clear the confusion in my words, my WiFi is not broken, it seems to turn on automatically at times, or when few apps are opened. I have turned off WiFi scanning too, but how is it that its triggered to turn on? I have no clue, I'm trying to find this one..

I have no idea what's going on with your device. I happen to have an opposite situation. My WiFi occasionally and regularly turns off for 1-2 seconds, and then turns on again. Strange!

Both of our problems could simply be a glitch in the current ROM, which may be solved in future releases. I'm hoping.

Peter

Reactions: srinikethan1392

srinikethan1392

Oct 13, 2013
Bangalore
I have no idea what's going on with your device. I happen to have an opposite situation. My WiFi occasionally and regularly turns off for 1-2 seconds, and then turns on again. Strange!

Both of our problems could simply be a glitch in the current ROM, which may be solved in future releases. I'm hoping.

Peter

I was actually reading about this, there is an implementation of this automatic turning on of WiFi on aosp Oreo, you can see that switch on pixel devices.But unfortunately it's not visible to us on our device in settings menu, I suspect that this is causing this, because last time I had turned off this flag forcefully through adb command, and it was working normal. I guess I need to spend some time into reading logs and finding the culprit.

-Srini

Reactions: PeterGuru

PeterGuru

Mar 23, 2008
I was actually reading about this, there is an implementation of this automatic turning on of WiFi on aosp Oreo, you can see that switch on pixel devices.But unfortunately it's not visible to us on our device in settings menu, I suspect that this is causing this, because last time I had turned off this flag forcefully through adb command, and it was working normal. I guess I need to spend some time into reading logs and finding the culprit.

-Srini

You sound much like me ... I'm never satisfied until I solve a problem, especially with my mobile phone.

Good luck!

Peter

Reactions: srinikethan1392

nitish.4you

May 31, 2012
Hey buddy, similar problem here also.
Out of curiosity for testing oreo in my phone, I updated it to the official oreo build which was released before a couple of days and as of now the OTAs is halted for that build.
The problem is that while I am on any of the Oreo roms, the official one and the lastest 3rd beta, I'm experiencing battery drain problems and some miner glitches so I wanted to revert back to Nougat Oos but then the wifi breaks. The same problem, sometimes shows the SSID then saved then disabled.
Whenever I switch back to Oreo roms the wifi works but on any Nougat build it breaks.
It's so frustrating, I've tried many builds, different recoveries, flashing the modems and firmwares but no luck.
It would be highly appreciable if someone can assist me on this.
Thanks

vortex-5

Jul 3, 2014
For those that do not have wifi after returning to Android N from Android O try using the revert firmware:

Here

Remember this only works when you're trying to go from Android O -> N if you're having wifi issues and have not flashed any of the oreo builds this will probably not fix your issue.

You also need to be on an Android O series rom before flashing this revert script and you will need to erase /data after the revert flash as downgrading is not a supported action for /data (If you have an old /data backup it's fine to restore it though)

Last edited:

zdimension

Jul 18, 2015
zdimension.ml
Some apps may work properly, but others won't.

Personally, I would never restore Nandroid data from one OS to another OS, i.e., Nougat to Oreo or vice versa.

Peter

I thought about that, but since the best way to know is by trying, I tried (I had nothing to lose since I had backups). Can confirm it works. I only needed deleting three files to make Wi-Fi and Fingerprints work but aside from that all apps work perfectly.

Wrote about that here: [GUIDE] Upgrade 4.5.15 rooted & encrypted -> 5.0.1 WITHOUT DATA/SETTINGS LOSS

Fun fact: I actually updated to Oreo here because I thought it would fix my Wi-Fi and fingerprint problems but actually the only thing I had to do was to delete those three files (in Nougat). But anyways I'm on Oreo now and it works, so I guess I'm all good.

mutleyPT

Jul 13, 2012
[MENTION=899563]
It was in Nougat 4.5.14 and with TWRP 3.1.1. I did wipe in all and format data.
I installed TRWP 3.2.1 official, did wipe in all and format data. Restart for recovery
I copied the Open Beta 2 archive and flash via adb sideload. I rebooted the system and there was my wi-fi running. :victory::victory::victory:

Thank you.
I wasnt able to flash with the OP original recovery and your method worked in perfection.
Instead of using adb sideload, I copied beta2 to the phone and flashed in TWRP.
After booting beta2 and having Wifi back I download and updated for 8.0.0 (5.0.1) trough "local update" in settings. :good:

Ccbyrob

Nov 3, 2011
Holts summit
Install OTA Updates AFTER fixing WIFI

PeterGuru- thank you so much for this. After following the initial suggestions from others, you stayed with this to help others like me. I got into this mess much like you did - I was flash happy. I did many things, but nothing was successful until I installed the fastboot-adb tools for windows 10, 64 bit. Being able to finally sideload the zip file a the roadblock for me. Thank you so much. With some of the rude dogs I see respond to some posts I and so grateful for you and your help.

Before I do something stupid, it's it going to be okay for me to download and install the OTA updates? After installing the Beta - 2 version of oreo it shows me I have an update to OP5_O2_OPEN_3. IS IT SAFE?

This is to update my progress in my efforts to install OTA updates without running into this WIFI issue (sorry, I don't know the best way to refer to a different thread in XDA

https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...overy-twrp-3-2-1-0-oreo-oxygenos-5-0-t3725723

captainransom

Dec 24, 2017
Reflashing with stock kernel fixed my WiFi problem

I installed the XXX rom and I was refreshing it I'm trying too use the Bluespark kernel r 70 yes I know it's outdated. So when it booted it up everytime I press the wifi icon it did nothing. I reflashed stock kernel and the problems gone my wife I fix is related to the kernel when I was flashing so if anyone has the same problem try to just Flash the stock kernel

pindonga123

May 28, 2015
I need help, my wifi broken and show 02:00:00:00:00:00 mac adress, I tried to intall Oreo version, but I tried by all the methods and didnt work, always do the same, the bootloop, I tried with no-verity encrpted and whatever more. I installed another Oreo ROM like AICP but didnt solve the problem. I tried to overwrite the wlan_mac.bin but the same. Now there are two things very strange. When I install busybox and terminal emulator with command iwconfig or ifconfig dont show the wifi_card, but when I use a qualcomm read soft, it read very well the mac adress of the MAC. I need some help because I came two months with this and I cant solve it. Thank. Sorry but my english is not very well, I hope you can understand me.

stefandavcev

Dec 10, 2015
Hey Peter, following your tutorial I've got to the sideloading part however I cannot get the zip to sideload because I get usb device not recognized whenever I plug the usb cable in my laptop. I've tried installing official oneplus drivers and I still get the error. Plus when I go to the device manager adb has a yellow triangle
I've tried to search for automatic updates but nothing got fixed..Help please. :(

Last edited:

swords90

Dec 14, 2012
Below is my original post; however, I've since solved the problem. In an effort to help others with the same problem, I've written a Guide, which should explain exactly what to do if your WiFi is suddenly "broken" due to flashing issues.

Here's the link: OnePlus 5 WiFi Fix

Many thanks to everyone who offered help, especially subaash and hallo dare, who put me in the right direction.

Hello Peter.
I have the same problem you had with wifi. I follow your guide but i have one big problem with step 12.
I wrote: adb sideload rom.zip
And I get this problem:
1. adb sideload rom.zip
2. loading: ´rom.zip´
3. error: device ´(null)´ not found

What can i do?? I follow all steps. I do it with my laptop with windows 7.
Thanks alot for your help!!

Last edited:

PeterGuru

Mar 23, 2008
Hello Peter.
I have the same problem you had with wifi. I follow your guide but i have one big problem with step 12.
I wrote: adb sideload rom.zip
And I get this problem:
1. adb sideload rom.zip
2. loading: ´rom.zip´
3. error: device ´(null)´ not found

What can i do?? I follow all steps. I do it with my laptop with windows 7.
Thanks alot for your help!!

Hello! Although I still have my OP5, I'm now using an OP5T. It really doesn't matter though, because the method of recovery is pretty-much the same.

I've written a new Guide for the OP5T, but as I said above, you can use it for the OP5. Simply exchange one for the other; however, some of the download links specific to the OP5T will not work. You'll need to download the matching file for your OP5.

Download Guide here: AICP Flashing Guide for OnePlus5T

Let me know if it works for you. It should. Don't worry because your problem is related to encryption/decryption, which can be resolved 100%.

Peter

Reactions: swords90

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Below is my original post; however, I've since solved the problem. In an effort to help others with the same problem, I've written a Guide, which should explain exactly what to do if your WiFi is suddenly "broken" due to flashing issues.

Here's the link: OnePlus 5 WiFi Fix

Many thanks to everyone who offered help, especially subaash and hallo dare, who put me in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings, everyone.

Sadly, for specific reasons unknown, my WiFi appears to be completely broken.

Over the last few days I've gone "flash happy" by trying several Oreo ROMs for my OP5. Some worked while others just froze at the boot animation.

Unfortunately, shortly after flashing the xXx-NoLimits Oreo ROM, which got me to the initial set-up screen, my WiFi would not connect. So, I then bypassed the WiFi part and finished the set-up. Everything seemed to be working very well, but I could not get WiFi to work.

Yes, I could engage the Wifi slider to the ON position, and there would be a list of SSIDs; however, oftentimes even my 2 SSIDs would not display. When they did, and I tried to connect, I would see the connection attempt, but it would not complete the connection. Only the word "saved" would be shown under the SSID name. Then it would automatically try to reconnect, but without success.

I've tried virtually everything I can think of to solve the problem, but I can't connect to WiFi.

All other communications work, i.e., Bluetooth, Data, making and receiving calls. It's ONLY the Wifi that's not working.

Yes, I completely wiped my device and re-installed the original OxygenOS (4.5.14), but that didn't work. I also tried completely wiping the device and then installing that latest OxygenOS v4.5.15, but that didn't solve the problem, either.

I went back and flashed all the previous custom ROMs in an attempt to see if any of them would work, but nothing. I tried NitrogenOS, HalogenOS, Liquid Remix, xXx NoLimits, and they all could not connect to WiFi.

I even tried a few WiFi Fix apps on Google Play, but they didn't work, either.

Oh, yes … I even checked my router. It's perfectly fine. I can get WiFi on my laptop without a problem. Furthermore, when I went to a local coffee shop this morning that provides free WiFi, my phone could not connect, just like at home.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Thank you,
    Peter
    Morning up-date ...

Okay, it's been many hours since I figured out how to solve the problem, and everything still appears to be working very well, including WiFi.

Bottom line, the brief instructions I gave in post #19 solved the problem. I will repeat those instructions below, including a few additional important items.

CAUTION: Perform a Nandroid before continuing, and then transfer the Nandroid to your PC. Since this method also deletes everything on internal storage, it would be wise to copy all your important files on internal storage to your PC, just in case.

Download the latest Oxygen Oreo 8.0.0 ROM from here:
    http://downloads.oneplus.net/devices/oneplus-5/#title-section/

Download Stock Recovery from Post #2 here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/official-oxygenos-4-5-2-7-1-1-ota-t3627003

Copy the stock recovery to root of device internal storage
    Reboot into TWRP recovery
    Flash stock recovery in TWRP
    Reboot into stock recovery
    Wipe everything, including internal storage.
    Using ADB Sideload within the stock recovery, flash the ROM ZIP to the device
    After successful sideload, click YES to install the ROM

The above should get you to the initial set-up screen, with working WiFi. That's it! Basically, you're done, unless you want to re-flash TWRP recovery; however, DO NOT use the standard TWRP. Use the TWRP from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykn2v18157cdwm0/TWRP OnePlus5 Oreo 3.2.1-0.img?dl=1

If you then wish to re-root your device (if it was previously rooted using Magisk), you should use the latest beta version of Magisk here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589

That's it. I hope it works for you.

Peter
    Success ... maybe?

Well, well. It appears the previous suggestions were correct. So far it's successful, but I haven't quite finished the initial set-up. All I can say is that WiFi is working, and I'm grateful for that.

However, it was a frightening ordeal. At one point I thought my device was bricked, and I didn't know what to do. However, with some thought, I was able to solve the problem.

Good news, though, is that I DID NOT have to revert back to Nougat. I'm now running Oxygen Oreo 8.0.0 Open Beta 2.

I will provide a detailed instructions of what I did a bit later. I simply want to get everything up-and-running, which could take a few hours.

Here's an abbreviated version:

Downloaded Oxygen Oreo 8.0.0 Open Beta 1 from here:
    http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-5/oneplus_5_oxygenos_openbeta_1/

Downloaded Stock Recovery from Post #2 here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/official-oxygenos-4-5-2-7-1-1-ota-t3627003

Copied both files above to root of device internal storage
    Reboot into TWRP recovery
    Flashed stock recovery in TWRP
    Reboot into stock recovery
    COMPLETELY Wiped the entire system ... absolutely everything ... including internal storage. This is where I had the initial problem. I did not wipe everything, including internal storage, and I ended up with a mixture of jumbled numbers and letters when looking at the file structure.
    Using ADB Sideload within the stock recovery, I "moved/flashed" the ROM ZIP to the device
    After successful sideload, I said yes to installing the ROM
    The ROM then installed and, voila, I'm at the initial set-up screen.

Okay, that's all for now. I'll be back later.

Peter
    I did some research, and this is a common error if the ADB & Fastboot Tools you're using are not compatible with your operating system.

Are you on Windows 10 64-bit?

If yes, you may want to try the ADB Tools from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mk7p0xx56axqbs/FlashTools64.zip?dl=1

This is a minimum set of tools with only 4 files.

Unzip the contents into a new directory on your PC, perhaps like I mention in my Guide. Create a folder on your "c" drive called adb, and then unzip the contents of the above file into that new directory. Then try the adb sideload again from THAT new directory.

Peter

Yes i have WIN 10 64 bit and i tried with the other adb you linked but same error again.

I was sooo tired of this phone at that moment so i nearly threw it in the garbage ;)

At last i used the guide "How to Unbrick the OnePlus 5 and Return to Stock" on the site Androidexplanied (i cant link yet)
    Then i had the stock version but still no wifi working.
    After that i download over the 4G mobile net the OxygenOS Open Beta 2 (Android O) for the OnePlus 5 directly to the internal storage. I read about it in the thread called "OxygenOS Open Beta 2 (Android O) for the OnePlus 5" on Oneplus forum.

After the installation and the reboot the phone had wifi again!!:laugh:

OMG!!!!

A few minutes later i got notification that there was a new beta update "oneplus op5_o2_open_3" with face unlock.
    Downloaded it with my working wifi :good:
    The face unlocking works superfast.

Peter...I will donate to you because i have never before had so much help from someone at a forum when i am totally a newcomer.

Regards Mattias.
    Tried with the other rom but same error message:

PS C:\Users\Albin\Downloads\platform-tools-latest-windows\platform-tools> adb devices
    List of devices attached
    a5c5f634 device

PS C:\Users\Albin\Downloads\platform-tools-latest-windows\platform-tools> adb reboot bootloader
    PS C:\Users\Albin\Downloads\platform-tools-latest-windows\platform-tools> fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (27525 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.891s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 0.365s]
    finished. total time: 1.279s
    PS C:\Users\Albin\Downloads\platform-tools-latest-windows\platform-tools> fastboot reboot
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.016s
    PS C:\Users\Albin\Downloads\platform-tools-latest-windows\platform-tools> adb sideload rom.zip
    loading: 'rom.zip'
    * cannot read 'rom.zip' *

I will try to install adb on my other laptop and make the same test again and see if the error come there as well.

I did some research, and this is a common error if the ADB & Fastboot Tools you're using are not compatible with your operating system.

Are you on Windows 10 64-bit?

If yes, you may want to try the ADB Tools from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mk7p0xx56axqbs/FlashTools64.zip?dl=1

This is a minimum set of tools with only 4 files.

Unzip the contents into a new directory on your PC, perhaps like I mention in my Guide. Create a folder on your "c" drive called adb, and then unzip the contents of the above file into that new directory. Then try the adb sideload again from THAT new directory.

Peter
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone