[SOLVED] YT9213AJ and YT9216B - Full brick recovery / custom mods - ROOT, TWRP, VIPER4Android

Search This thread

james28909

Mar 27, 2016
Okay I see, so here is probably the quickest way of getting your unit fully customized (detailed instructions are in the OP):

1. Backup your current unit by means of a Memory Dump
2. Import the same memory dump back to the unit and ensure it works

3. Perform all tasks in OP starting from Memory Dump import but you can probably exclude importing "BOOT1" or "ROM1" as you have a working unit. Only import the large file 14Gb.

Good luck!
OK well here is a problem. I am on 9.1 and when I flashed the supersu zip, I get infinite boot animation screen. And I get this message in dmesg " (0)[83:hang_detect][Hang_Detect] hang_detect thread counts down 2147483647:2147483647, status 0." I am amazed that it was able to flash tbh. The newest one will stop and say its unsupported.

EDIT: ill just try to install your image here and see what happens. I thin I have already tried actually but it boot loops my device.

james28909

Mar 27, 2016
There is no way. I even unpacked it and tried to flash it in fastboot and got error about its to big. Maybe you have an additional pointers on how to resize it? It will not flash in download, or write memory in the secret menu, or in fastboot.

I did shrink it a little but it was still to big. Also, I can't extract userdata image or I could just extract everything and then copy it over to my device

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
There is no way. I even unpacked it and tried to flash it in fastboot and got error about its to big. Maybe you have an additional pointers on how to resize it? It will not flash in download, or write memory in the secret menu, or in fastboot.

I did shrink it a little but it was still to big. Also, I can't extract userdata image or I could just extract everything and then copy it over to my device

That's very strange. Only thing I can think of is faulty hardware or your flash is less than 16gb

james28909

Mar 27, 2016
That's very strange. Only thing I can think of is faulty hardware or your flash is less than 16gb
Just checked and userdata is 12,998,672,384 bytes. This is the size of the complete dump of that partition. Android partition is 1,610,612,736 bytes. The rest of the files there would not add up to 16gb. but it would be very close, and I am positive this thing has some hidden partitions so it very well could be 16gb, but set up a little different. My hidden partitions may be bigger, which takes room away from userdata or something?

There must be a way to shrink this userdata image though. There is a **** ton of null bytes in it, but you got to make the headers match the file sizes within the image, and I am not up to par on android. If it was ps3 or ps4, I could do it easily. I will look into it though. Shouldn't be THAT hard to do.

Also, I got a replacement radio for some reason from the company. I showe them the ui and it was messed up somehow and I asked them how to fix it, or send me the right apk for the ui, and they instead sent me another stereo. Well that stereo come in and had a busted corner on it, not to bad, its still usable, but I told them about it, and they are sending me another one and told me to keep the other ones. So for 100 bucks or so, I got 3 stereos. I am now tryign to put the original firmware on my original device. I made a dump of the second one they sent, and flashed original bootloader and android partitions from the other new device to the old original one and it worked.

Also, I think that a lot of these firmwares are indeed cross compatible, but there has to be some files patched from your own device into the firmware from other models. Files that are manufacturer specific and maybe some other ones that are more hardwarecontrol related, libs and such

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Just checked and userdata is 12,998,672,384 bytes. This is the size of the complete dump of that partition. Android partition is 1,610,612,736 bytes. The rest of the files there would not add up to 16gb. but it would be very close, and I am positive this thing has some hidden partitions so it very well could be 16gb, but set up a little different. My hidden partitions may be bigger, which takes room away from userdata or something?

There must be a way to shrink this userdata image though. There is a **** ton of null bytes in it, but you got to make the headers match the file sizes within the image, and I am not up to par on android. If it was ps3 or ps4, I could do it easily. I will look into it though. Shouldn't be THAT hard to do.

Also, I got a replacement radio for some reason from the company. I showe them the ui and it was messed up somehow and I asked them how to fix it, or send me the right apk for the ui, and they instead sent me another stereo. Well that stereo come in and had a busted corner on it, not to bad, its still usable, but I told them about it, and they are sending me another one and told me to keep the other ones. So for 100 bucks or so, I got 3 stereos. I am now tryign to put the original firmware on my original device. I made a dump of the second one they sent, and flashed original bootloader and android partitions from the other new device to the old original one and it worked.

Also, I think that a lot of these firmwares are indeed cross compatible, but there has to be some files patched from your own device into the firmware from other models. Files that are manufacturer specific and maybe some other ones that are more hardwarecontrol related, libs and such
You're absolutely correct but if you can't import the dump, it's an indicator that your unit isn't the right one. You can of course split the dump and only upload Boot, System and Recovery. Look into tools like WWr MTK.

james28909

Mar 27, 2016
You're absolutely correct but if you can't import the dump, it's an indicator that your unit isn't the right one. You can of course split the dump and only upload Boot, System and Recovery. Look into tools like WWr MTK.
Ive already extracted all of the files from your dump into their individual respected img files. When I say I tried to flash it, I mean the userdata.img only. I was able to flash the android img and boot and everythign else, but I couldn't fit the userdata.img. Not to mention I couldn't get it to boot to android, but I think this is because it didn't have userdata partition flashed too. Once I flashed your boot and system(ANDROID).img it would boot up to the boot logo, but would just boot loop. I am getting more comfortable with this now though. I used to develop for the ps3, and have written elaborate scripts to dump and do sanity checks on per console data, that if one byte was wrong it would brick the console causing you to have to short out test points to be able to keep the system on so you could flash it. If you tried flashing it without the power on, it wouldn't work because the motherboard would draw all the power away from the nand or nor flash packages.

Over then next few days I am going to attempt it again. If anything, I will grab the viper apk out of the dump and try to just install that.

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
UPDATE 13 Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etcplus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

- Added YT9216B mod and tools

- View the original post for more info

---------------------------------

Currently working on YT9217B model as well but that'll take a few weeks. Stay tuned

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron_01

Baron_01

Apr 14, 2021
thanks for all the efford your are putting in this!

so i have a problem whith getting an error
"ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032)". (in different versions of flash tool the error is described different but its the same error)

im using Windows 10 64bit

i've installed the drivers via the link that was in the discription on the first post. and its showing up as: MediaTek USB port (COM49)
i allso tried 16 different versions of flash tool.
i've tried different usb cables, different ports and a different computer.

what am i doing wrong?
maybe something with the boudrate of the COM port?

i hope you can help me!

thanks anyway!

Last edited:

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
thanks for all the efford your are putting in this!

so i have a problem whith getting an error
"ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032)". (in different versions of flash tool the error is described different but its the same error)

im using Windows 10 64bit

i've installed the drivers via the link that was in the discription on the first post. and its showing up as: MediaTek USB port (COM49)
i allso tried 16 different versions of flash tool.
i've tried different usb cables, different ports and a different computer.

what am i doing wrong?
maybe something with the boudrate of the COM port?

i hope you can help me!

thanks anyway!

That error is caused by the Flashtool version or issues with drivers. Other than that, I really don't know, I'm afraid. Possible to test on another computer?

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Maybe I misunderstood something. The zip file contains everything (boot, scatter, pdf etc., really good and complete job!) but from the OP I assume everything is preinstalled. So '2. Install second' part in the zip is not needed? Thanks!
It's needed for root, TWRP, Viper and all other cool stuff

cici2

Nov 29, 2011
Deva
Hi,
My device is YT9213AJ. Does anyone know if any option in "Factory Settings" to display the battery voltage and temperature with one decimal in "Car Information"? The update solve this problem or any other solution?

Screenshot 2021-05-04 173027.png
20210211_014300.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I cannot get the userdata to fit on my device. Besides, it doesn't boot even with everything else flashed minus userdata.
    User data is the most critical piece. And it'll fit your device.
    UPDATE 13 Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etcplus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

- View the original post for more info

---------------------------------

Currently working on YT9217B model as well but that'll take a few weeks. Stay tuned
    Hi all,

Wanted to share these MODs with you that I created for 8227L_demo Android Head unit, model: YT9213AJ and YT9216B with 1Gb RAM and 16Gb FLASH drive. You can use this to debrick your unit or to fully install the 2020 software with fully working:

YT9213AJ_00011_V001_20200806
    YT9216B_00002_V004_20200610 (with split screen mod)

ROOT (SuperSU)
    TWRP Recovery
    Viper4Android / Viper4A / ViperFX
    Scatter file (should work for any 8227L YT921xx device)
    Full Memory Dump

Download link

How to use

1. Download the file and unzip it onto you PC hard drive
    2. Make sure Mediatek drivers are correctly installed on your PC (view this guide here on XDA on how to properly install them)
    3. Download FlashTool version 5.1824 (or you will get transfer errors with reading DRAM or Scatter file) - if this version gives you errors, try other versions between v5.1736 and v5.1916
    4. In Flash Tool, 'write to memory' both BOOT1 and ROM_USER file if your unit is bricked or just ROM_USER if your unit works fine. You will need USB-A cable for this. You can download this step-by-step guide that I made (with pictures). During this step make sure your head unit is completely disconnected from car battery or any other power source
    5. When installation is complete (import can take roughly 20 min), restart the unit in TWRP Recovery mode (use the Shutdown app that came pre-installed with the mod) and in TWRP pick "Wipe Cache / Dalvik".
    6. Done!

If you are doing brick recovery, you can follow the very same method with Test Point method also fully described here on XDA Forums.

Here is a video I made on a bespoke project and also shows the modified software features

Enjoy!

UPDATE Dec 2020

It has come to my attention that some of you struggle with getting TWRP, ROOT and ViperFX to work. To remedy this, I have included all the files and instructions in one file together with the memory dump. It is a very easy install process. These steps assume that you have managed to install the memory dump to begin with. Please follow the instructions to the letter.

UPDATE Apr 2021

- NEW video link

- MORE pictures

- All-In-One file download (memory dump, root, TWRP, Viper etc plus all the tools and guides on how to install them)

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! And if this post is helpful to you please don't forget to "like" it.

[9213AJ][YT9213AJ][V4A][VIPER4ANDROID][ViperFX][ROOT][TWRP][8227L][YT9216B]
    Your mod got me thinking could I do it with the later firmware, it was a mission but it's done, Latest API 27 v6.5 true android 8.1 with working ViPERFX instructions and download here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...d-8-1-2020-root-and-viper4android-fx.4205037/
    Thank you for your feedback guys. Unfortunately I don't have this unit so I cannot test the memory dump but last time I imported it, everything worked. There might be a number of reasons for the issues you are experiencing and so I've added TWRP, ViperFx, custom Boot Logo and Custom Interface files to the original post so you can manually install them. The good thing is, is that it is super easy and all of these files are optimized for YT9213AJ.
    I have used two days trying to get this working. I guess you need to press ctrl+alt+v in SP flash (advanced mode) for the write memory option. But I can not figure out how to apply hex size from the memory map txt file included in the download. Presumably the memorymap contains the size of the partitions, but SP Flash write mode ask for begin address...?
    Im also wondering why recovery partition does not seem to be included. Is TWRP not installed in the recovery partition?
    Included scatterfile from MT3367 ?

No worries, I have updated the original post with a full guide on how to import this memory dump. Check it out.
    Can you check if this image is latest, can you adapt your image based on this latest image, published on 2nd of November, it shows Android 9.1 and has kernel 4.4

gongban_YT9216BJ_ui1-hw-ota-v6.5.zip

http://file.xygala.com/?dir=uploads/XY公版/9216/9216BJ/Andriod_9.1/外文/横屏/1024X600/UI1_v6.5
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone