Question Some apps don't work with root, even when hidden/Safety net passes

Search This thread
I can't sign into a few apps. When I enter my login info to Amazon Shopping & Prime Video and tap the login button, they both keep saying it can't connect. PayPal derps out and closes entirely once I sign in and just as it displays the two-factor authorization part. I've double checked MagiskHide and cleared app data for all three apps as well as Google Play Services. I'm using the latest Magisk canary and SafetyNet passes.

Another, seemingly unrelated issue that only started after I rooted, is that my fingerprints are no longer recognized. I've deleted all of them and re-registered my fingerprints, but they still always fail to work. Any ideas?

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Hawaii
OnePlus 9 Pro
I can't sign into a few apps. When I enter my login info to Amazon Shopping & Prime Video and tap the login button, they both keep saying it can't connect. PayPal derps out and closes entirely once I sign in and just as it displays the two-factor authorization part. I've double checked MagiskHide and cleared app data for all three apps as well as Google Play Services. I'm using the latest Magisk canary and SafetyNet passes.

Another, seemingly unrelated issue that only started after I rooted, is that my fingerprints are no longer recognized. I've deleted all of them and re-registered my fingerprints, but they still always fail to work. Any ideas?
Fingerprint sensor has been extremely annoying for me. Always get that error message. I had issues with my bank app saying I vilotated something and I'm unrooted. Found out that adb debugging was on and was causing the issue for me.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

JWhetstone02

Mar 6, 2011
South Carolina
I had the same issue with Amazon after root. I'm assuming you're using AdAway? That was my problem. Go into AdAway > Preferences > Root based ad blocking > uncheck enable web server. I never used it and it was disabled on my 8T, so I disabled it on the 9Pro

Last edited:

terlynn4

• Aug 18, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    Never had a problem with Amazon, PayPal or even Google Pay with root.
    Same, I'm using both Amazon and GPay regularly, and I've used Paypal since rooting. Are there any maigsk modules or other root apps that could be interfering? Maybe try disabling all of those temporarily.

I had the same issue with Amazon after root. I'm assuming you're using AdAway? That was my problem. Go into AdAway > Preferences > Root based ad blocking > uncheck enable web server.
    I fixed mine by just adding *amazon* to the whitelist/Allowed. I'm still using the web server option.

Fingerprint sensor has been extremely annoying for me. Always get that error message. I had issues with my bank app saying I vilotated something and I'm unrooted. Found out that adb debugging was on and was causing the issue for me.

I never encountered an app crashing or refusing to work with adb debugging enabled. The only one I know of that will complain of it, but still work, is Titanium Backup. Regardless, I toggled it off and tried them all again. No dice.

I never have, either. Which is why I posted this thread. I tried everything I could think of that might be interfering with them.

I had the same issue with Amazon after root. I'm assuming you're using AdAway? That was my problem. Go into AdAway > Preferences > Root based ad blocking > uncheck enable web server.

That worked, enough for me to get logged into them.

Same, I'm using both Amazon and GPay regularly, and I've used Paypal since rooting. Are there any maigsk modules or other root apps that could be interfering? Maybe try disabling all of those temporarily.

I fixed mine by just adding *amazon* to the whitelist/Allowed. I'm still using the web server option.

This worked as well, was able to turn the web server back on.

I also have absolutely no problems with Magisk Su using Magisk hide. Google Pay, PayPal and banking apps work without any problems.

Oddly enough, GPay DOES work. I dunno if I mentioned that.

Turns out AdAway was the culprit, but I'm not sure why. Been using it for years and I've never had to add an app's website urls to its whitelist before.

Wish I could figure out why the fingerprints refuse to work, even though the sensor works fine when I add prints to it.

I never encountered an app crashing or refusing to work with adb debugging enabled. The only one I know of that will complain of it, but still work, is Titanium Backup. Regardless, I toggled it off and tried them all again. No dice.

I never have, either. Which is why I posted this thread. I tried everything I could think of that might be interfering with them.

That worked, enough for me to get logged into them.

This worked as well, was able to turn the web server back on.

Oddly enough, GPay DOES work. I dunno if I mentioned that.

Turns out AdAway was the culprit, but I'm not sure why. Been using it for years and I've never had to add an app's website urls to its whitelist before.

Wish I could figure out why the fingerprints refuse to work, even though the sensor works fine when I add prints to it.
    Hm. I am also using AdAway in root mode. No problem so far 🤔

awsan

• Apr 22, 2015
    What helped me with banking apps was doing the following

Install the app and run it once
    Go to magisk and use magisk hide on the app
    Go back to the app and force close it then clear cache and data
    Reboot to recovery wipe cache and dalvik
    Reboot to system and make sure it's still the magisk hide list
    Run the app and it should work flawlessly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone