• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Some comments on xda-developers

Search This thread

leonixyz

Dec 3, 2014
Hello,

when I first came to xda-developers.com I was searching for a guide on how flashing cyanogenmod on my second device that I like to use for learning android app development. My experience was one of the most painful on the internet since I was 14 (now I'm 29).

1) Using a forum instead of a wiki for providing information to the user is confusing. It's ok for troubleshooting, if someone has particular problems, or for discussions, but for presenting contents like guides etc. is imho stupid. If each forum has its administrators, they could simply copy-paste the relevant sticky posts to the wiki, and the community will do the rest of the job by updating and refactoring the guides. The outcome will be thousand times better.

2) The guides are often written so bad, that one looses all hopes to fix a problem easely or quickly, and I really mean because of how they are written: coloured text, different text sizes, so much blank lines, and always the same f.......g disclaimer! Ok!! it's clear!! my warranty is void!! you don't have to tell it me each time I read a new topic! and even if you don't write that stuff, you aren't legally responsible for damages. I bet that's true in any country of the world! Communication shall be concise, clear, not redundant. That isn't the case for most of the topics I've read. You don't have to repeat each time you propose to use adb that I have to have Adroid Tools installed, that I have to have the latest update of that software, that if it's not installed I have to download it from that link and do this and that to install it, etc.

3) Odin's alternatives aren't mentioned the 99% of the cases. I'm a Linux user, and all topics I've read are targeted to Windows users.

Using a wiki instead of this vBulletin will solve these kind of problems. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing those problems.

Regards.

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hello,

when I first came to xda-developers.com I was searching for a guide on how flashing cyanogenmod on my second device that I like to use for learning android app development. My experience was one of the most painful on the internet since I was 14 (now I'm 29).

1) Using a forum instead of a wiki for providing information to the user is confusing. It's ok for troubleshooting, if someone has particular problems, or for discussions, but for presenting contents like guides etc. is imho stupid. If each forum has its administrators, they could simply copy-paste the relevant sticky posts to the wiki, and the community will do the rest of the job by updating and refactoring the guides. The outcome will be thousand times better.

2) The guides are often written so bad, that one looses all hopes to fix a problem easely or quickly, and I really mean because of how they are written: coloured text, different text sizes, so much blank lines, and always the same f.......g disclaimer! Ok!! it's clear!! my warranty is void!! you don't have to tell it me each time I read a new topic! and even if you don't write that stuff, you aren't legally responsible for damages. I bet that's true in any country of the world! Communication shall be concise, clear, not redundant. That isn't the case for most of the topics I've read. You don't have to repeat each time you propose to use adb that I have to have Adroid Tools installed, that I have to have the latest update of that software, that if it's not installed I have to download it from that link and do this and that to install it, etc.

3) Odin's alternatives aren't mentioned the 99% of the cases. I'm a Linux user, and all topics I've read are targeted to Windows users.

Using a wiki instead of this vBulletin will solve these kind of problems. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing those problems.

Regards.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you. For starters, XDA-Developers is a developers web site, developed by developers for developers, not the general public.

1) I was a Windows programmer long before Android. I knew absolutely nothing about Android when I joined XDA. Everything, I mean everything, I've learned about Android I learned here in the forums that you say are so difficult to understand. And I'm 44.

XDA's format has been the same for the years I've been here and it works for most. In my years here, this is the first complaint/gripe of this type that I've seen. Granted, I can't read every post in every thread in every forum. I can say this with some certainty, changing this web site is not as easy as Copy & Paste as you mentioned.

2) Bear in mind, most of the poorly written guides you speak of are written by people who's native language isn't even English. They are just trying to help any way that they can. I agree there are alot of redundancies in the guides here. I'm not gonna down someone's grammar that is obviously trying to teach/share what knowledge they have.

3) Odin doesn't apply to most devices, only Samsung that I'm aware of, that's why there are no alternatives for it mentioned. As for Linux verses Windows... Windows is the most widely used operating system, period. Hence the reason for little or no reference to Linux fixes, tools, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for your bad experience.

N

NOOK!E

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you. For starters, XDA-Developers is a developers web site, developed by developers for developers, not the general public.

1) I was a Windows programmer long before Android. I knew absolutely nothing about Android when I joined XDA. Everything, I mean everything, I've learned about Android I learned here in the forums that you say are so difficult to understand. And I'm 44.

XDA's format has been the same for the years I've been here and it works for most. In my years here, this is the first complaint/gripe of this type that I've seen. Granted, I can't read every post in every thread in every forum. I can say this with some certainty, changing this web site is not as easy as Copy & Paste as you mentioned.

2) Bear in mind, most of the poorly written guides you speak of are written by people who's native language isn't even English. They are just trying to help any way that they can. I agree there are alot of redundancies in the guides here. I'm not gonna down someone's grammar that is obviously trying to teach/share what knowledge they have.

3) Odin doesn't apply to most devices, only Samsung that I'm aware of, that's why there are no alternatives for it mentioned. As for Linux verses Windows... Windows is the most widely used operating system, period. Hence the reason for little or no reference to Linux fixes, tools, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for your bad experience.

You tell him, @shinobisoft!

I'm also sorry for your bad experience, @leonixyz, but the truth is, I have the same exact feelings as shinobisoft. Everything I've ever learned about Android (which is a healthy amount) has come from awesome people here on XDA.

I haven't been a member for too long, but I've been lurking around XDA since 2012 when I got my Nook Simple Touch. Now, I'm a developer for that device! :D

So, yes. That's my little testimonial/contribution to this thread - @leonixyz, I sincerely hope that you'll change your mind about this site someday. :fingers-crossed:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
They have a point. You have to remember this is not a support or user based site. This site is made for developers. Once carriers and OEM start locking down devices so they can't be flashed you will see things calm down.

Reactions: mohammadredfield

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They have a point. You have to remember this is not a support or user based site. This site is made for developers. Once carriers and OEM start locking down devices so they can't be flashed you will see things calm down.