Question Some issues on Snapdragon S22 Ultra

Search This thread

Raiyan23

Dec 7, 2022
Firstly, the fingerprint scanner. It's pretty wacky, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works with wet hands sometimes it doesn't wanna work with dry hands even. Note : I have a screen protector on it, not a glass one, just a regular one. I heard glass screen protectors will mess with the fingerprint scanner so got a regular one. I've had these fingerprint scanner issues since before I applied the protector so I'm guessing it's not just the protector's fault.

Secondly, I don't know if the speaker itself is like this but the earpiece speaker distorts a lot when listening to mostly bass to mid-range focused stuff. For example let's say pianos or vocals, or even just yt videos. pretty unpleasant.

There's also some banding problems in the UI that's pretty annoying, also the unlock wallpaper animation seems to be bitrate starved, is it just me? Examples

I updated to One UI 5 as soon as I could because everyone was saying the phone got "fixed" and there were no stutters or anything. But it felt quite similar to my experience I've had since I got the phone. I don't know what's wrong, everyone's saying the phone feels extremely smooth now, I mean it does feel smoother but there's constant glitches/bugs/stutters. There's also a lot of unexplained slowdowns when scrolling in some apps, it isn't completely stuttery but it doesn't feel smooth. Feels like it goes down to 60 hz or stops and continues at some points. Some apps also like to just shut down/crash. Extremely annoying. By the way, I've done the animation improvement thing in the developer options, halving the animation speeds. I can't go back now lol

The display also likes to go under 120 hz a lot, the fingerprint scanner animation isn't 120 hz and it's noticeable when unlocking. When playing some games and pulling down the quick panel, it stays in 60 hz. Also in some games it likes to jump between 60 hz and 120 hz a lot, which makes a pretty weird experience. Some games even go down to like 30 hz when launching and at some random points. For example, in Jurassic World the refresh rate just bounces up and down, sometimes 60 sometimes 120. In Colour Switch, the refresh rate goes down to like 30 hz when launching, I have a feeling it's because of the google play games thing coming down, whenever it comes the refresh rate goes down. Also, when scrolling through the game modes the refresh rate is constantly jumping or the something's going on because the scrolling is how i mentioned before, extremely weird and not smooth.

When watching a video on MPV and bringing the quick panel down, the display is stuck at 60 hz and makes for a very weird experience. The phone gets incredibly hot when using MPV to watch 4k 60 videos and the brightness goes down a lot. Like it gets capped at 30%, I understand why it's happening but damn didn't expect it to get so hot. I tried using bilinear upscaling and downscaling filters but even then it was just as hot as using lanczos or spline 16 even so i just stuck with lanczos. I even tried disabling the debanding but nothing much changed, it got hot within 5 minutes still so I just kept using it. When using something like MX Player or Just VIdeo player it doesn't get as hot and the brightness stays constant but the noticeable banding is extremely annoying.
I'm still confused, it shouldn't use that much power I mean it barely hits 10% usage on my CPU and GPU on my PC and I'm using a mid range R5 5600x and RX 6700 XT. I'm using ewa lanczos sharp on PC and just lanczos or spline 16 on phone sky rockets the usage. Maybe I had too much expectation on the phone's SOC?

Anyways, I guess the last part is not about the phone I guess but it was a problem that I felt had to be talked about. I'd like to see some insights on this, is it just me or is the phone supposed to be like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: bodomfan

Raiyan23

Dec 7, 2022
youbseem really disappointed with this device, in general, only few people get this level of frustration, it happens all the time, there will no remedy due to the magnitude of your disatisfaction, my honest advice is that you look for some other device that fulfills your expectations, which clearly this device can not
I upgraded from an M32, I previously used an S8+ and S7 Edge. I wad very satisfied with those but this is just not as consistent as those. What hurts more is that this is more expensive than those. Honestly, I've looked into the smartphone market and nearly none fulfill my expectations. My main problem is the fact that it's heralded as an improvement over the past ones but it's not consistent. A consistent 60 hz experience is far superior than a stuttery, buggy 120 hz experience. I'm extremely happy with the design, build quality, Display (mostly bought it because of this) software look/feel( I really love how One UI looks and functions, when it does so properly, compared to other phones) software support and cameras. It's just that the user experience is pretty compromised other manufacturers aren't any better overall. A couple of my acquaintances have faced problems with Oneplus phones, resulting in faulty screens and stuff. My uncle had to get rid of his google pixel 6 because it was quite frankly unusable . Xiaomi doesn't like to update and I don't like their UI. Vivo's UI looks ok but I'm not sure about consistency for example gsmarena said that it overheats and doesn't have HRR in games. Gaming phones do not get proper updates for long and are too expensive for what they are. Finally, I feel like Oppo is a tad behind everyone else at this price point. The X80 Pro and 12S Ultra seem like proper ultra type phones, the find x5 pro seems like a lower tiered phone in the camera department.

I had thought about this a lot but I was just kind of disappointed in this purchase. Really happy with some stuff and even most stuff when it works correctly, it just doesn't want to work correctly and as I said near the end of the post. I just wanted to know if it's just me or are others experiencing this well?

hoss_n2

Personally, I don't have the banding issues that you got with lock screen and sound bar
Screenshot_20221210_002012_One UI Home.jpg

Personalgroups

Mar 10, 2012
After android 13 installation I also noticed it was butter smooth experience until 2-3 days ago .. now I can see visibly lag or shutters again ..

I dont know about other issues you mention here ..

But I do noticed one thing .. S22 ultra poor reception than a cheap branded phone available on market

Raiyan23

Dec 7, 2022
After android 13 installation I also noticed it was butter smooth experience until 2-3 days ago .. now I can see visibly lag or shutters again ..

I dont know about other issues you mention here ..

But I do noticed one thing .. S22 ultra poor reception than a cheap branded phone available on market
Restarting the phone occasionally helps in increasing speed somehow. And reception for me has been fine for me. Unfortunate circusmatances for you I guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly, the fingerprint scanner. It's pretty wacky, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works with wet hands sometimes it doesn't wanna work with dry hands even. Note : I have a screen protector on it, not a glass one, just a regular one. I heard glass screen protectors will mess with the fingerprint scanner so got a regular one. I've had these fingerprint scanner issues since before I applied the protector so I'm guessing it's not just the protector's fault.

Secondly, I don't know if the speaker itself is like this but the earpiece speaker distorts a lot when listening to mostly bass to mid-range focused stuff. For example let's say pianos or vocals, or even just yt videos. pretty unpleasant.

There's also some banding problems in the UI that's pretty annoying, also the unlock wallpaper animation seems to be bitrate starved, is it just me? Examples

I updated to One UI 5 as soon as I could because everyone was saying the phone got "fixed" and there were no stutters or anything. But it felt quite similar to my experience I've had since I got the phone. I don't know what's wrong, everyone's saying the phone feels extremely smooth now, I mean it does feel smoother but there's constant glitches/bugs/stutters. There's also a lot of unexplained slowdowns when scrolling in some apps, it isn't completely stuttery but it doesn't feel smooth. Feels like it goes down to 60 hz or stops and continues at some points. Some apps also like to just shut down/crash. Extremely annoying. By the way, I've done the animation improvement thing in the developer options, halving the animation speeds. I can't go back now lol

The display also likes to go under 120 hz a lot, the fingerprint scanner animation isn't 120 hz and it's noticeable when unlocking. When playing some games and pulling down the quick panel, it stays in 60 hz. Also in some games it likes to jump between 60 hz and 120 hz a lot, which makes a pretty weird experience. Some games even go down to like 30 hz when launching and at some random points. For example, in Jurassic World the refresh rate just bounces up and down, sometimes 60 sometimes 120. In Colour Switch, the refresh rate goes down to like 30 hz when launching, I have a feeling it's because of the google play games thing coming down, whenever it comes the refresh rate goes down. Also, when scrolling through the game modes the refresh rate is constantly jumping or the something's going on because the scrolling is how i mentioned before, extremely weird and not smooth.

When watching a video on MPV and bringing the quick panel down, the display is stuck at 60 hz and makes for a very weird experience. The phone gets incredibly hot when using MPV to watch 4k 60 videos and the brightness goes down a lot. Like it gets capped at 30%, I understand why it's happening but damn didn't expect it to get so hot. I tried using bilinear upscaling and downscaling filters but even then it was just as hot as using lanczos or spline 16 even so i just stuck with lanczos. I even tried disabling the debanding but nothing much changed, it got hot within 5 minutes still so I just kept using it. When using something like MX Player or Just VIdeo player it doesn't get as hot and the brightness stays constant but the noticeable banding is extremely annoying.
    I'm still confused, it shouldn't use that much power I mean it barely hits 10% usage on my CPU and GPU on my PC and I'm using a mid range R5 5600x and RX 6700 XT. I'm using ewa lanczos sharp on PC and just lanczos or spline 16 on phone sky rockets the usage. Maybe I had too much expectation on the phone's SOC?

Anyways, I guess the last part is not about the phone I guess but it was a problem that I felt had to be talked about. I'd like to see some insights on this, is it just me or is the phone supposed to be like this?