• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

mikeparkie

Sep 21, 2005
Swindon
Hopefully I have posted these questions in the right section. Kill the n00b otherwise. I have a number of questions and every time I try to research I don’t seem to get the clear answers I need, so I would appreciate some pointers or links on where I can find some nice tutorials which explain things to me in clear English.

I have been using the AKOP 4.0.4 ROM for a while now (after moving from stock 4.0) and I’m loving it. I’m comfortable with flashing ROM and can follow most guides, albeit takes a few attempts at times. I have the android sdk and have used ABD commands successfully.

My questions:

1. If I download and install a custom ROM or a standard Google factory image, can I install any MOD by flashing the update zip using clockworkmod? and can this break any stock functionality. For example I want to try out Jelly Bean using one of the various custom ROMS but I don’t want to loose the functionality of the toggles I get in AKOP 4.0.4. Is there a MOD I can flash after flashing the ROM which gives me all the added functionality.

2. What are the benefits of using a custom radio?

3. When flashing ROMS, do I need to always wipe the dalvik? What is the general rule of thumb - clear the dalvik and then do a factory reset/wipe?

4. How do I get android to backup all my appdata but NOT automatically download and restore APKs from Google once I’ve signed in from a newly flashed ROM? I generally always install apps+data from titanium ROM backup?

5. Is titanium backup the best approach for restoring apps+data after flashing a new ROM? Or would using Galaxy Nexus tool kit be a better fit?

5. Can you flash multiple MOD’s at once, or bundle them into one update.zip and flash them all together, if so do you just extract and re-zip?

6. Can I take the best MOD’s from a custom ROM and put them into another ROM? Or is this a little tricky for the average user?

7. The brightness on the Galaxy Nexus is too bright at night, is there anyway to lower it more then the slider can go?

I know I’ve asked a lot of random questions and I am attempting to educate myself will the help of the community so thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
mikeparkie

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
Hopefully I have posted these questions in the right section. Kill the n00b otherwise. I have a number of questions and every time I try to research I don’t seem to get the clear answers I need, so I would appreciate some pointers or links on where I can find some nice tutorials which explain things to me in clear English.

I have been using the AKOP 4.0.4 ROM for a while now (after moving from stock 4.0) and I’m loving it. I’m comfortable with flashing ROM and can follow most guides, albeit takes a few attempts at times. I have the android sdk and have used ABD commands successfully.

My questions:

1. If I download and install a custom ROM or a standard Google factory image, can I install any MOD by flashing the update zip using clockworkmod? and can this break any stock functionality. For example I want to try out Jelly Bean using one of the various custom ROMS but I don’t want to loose the functionality of the toggles I get in AKOP 4.0.4. Is there a MOD I can flash after flashing the ROM which gives me all the added functionality.
No, swapping pieces in and out of roms is impossible without actually modifying the code...cherry picking from their gerrit.

There aren't really "custom" radios. Radios are closed source. Any flashable .zip is SOMEONE's radio...from some service. I generally just keep the newest one from my provider on my phone.

3. When flashing ROMS, do I need to always wipe the dalvik? What is the general rule of thumb - clear the dalvik and then do a factory reset/wipe?
Factory Reset. That's all you need. This bullocks about wiping system/cache/twice/spin-in-a-circle-and-touch-your-toes....it does nothing.

4. How do I get android to backup all my appdata but NOT automatically download and restore APKs from Google once I’ve signed in from a newly flashed ROM? I generally always install apps+data from titanium ROM backup?
When you flash a new rom simply uncheck the "Restore my data to this phone" during the set-up process. Google will still sync:
Photos (Google+), Contacts, Bookmarks, Gmail, Wallet, and anything else you have in the google "Account Settings" list. P.S. A general rule of thumb is to NOT restore anything via Titanium that has an Accounts list. Just because this will probably interfere with said's application syncing.

5. Is titanium backup the best approach for restoring apps+data after flashing a new ROM? Or would using Galaxy Nexus tool kit be a better fit?
Yep. Use post 2 of my guide (linked in sig) to make sure you're installing roms properly.

5. Can you flash multiple MOD’s at once, or bundle them into one update.zip and flash them all together, if so do you just extract and re-zip?
No...you can do super-simple stuff. Like if you have a kernel.zip and you found another developers boot.img: you can replace it with the one that resides in the .zip so you don't have to fastboot flash it. If you didn't fully understand that...don't try it. But no: you can't mix and match.

6. Can I take the best MOD’s from a custom ROM and put them into another ROM? Or is this a little tricky for the average user?
No.

7. The brightness on the Galaxy Nexus is too bright at night, is there anyway to lower it more then the slider can go?
You say you're on AOKP...
Settings>Screen>Custom Brightness Levels or something like that. You can adjust the auto-brightness levels...and how bright the room needs to be to fall to said levels.

I know I’ve asked a lot of random questions and I am attempting to educate myself will the help of the community so thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
mikeparkie
:good:

Reactions: mikeparkie

mikeparkie

Sep 21, 2005
Swindon

Thank you for the reply and all the pointers, just what I needed. I have some follow on questions…

4. What makes something an Accounts list? (whats the setting called in Titanium?) or Do you mean just restore user apps and not system apps?

7. I was referring to the minimum brightness, doesn’t the AOKP tweak just allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the senor?

8. When installing a ROM update, can you install the ROM on top of another ROM as long as it’s the same ROM and just an incremental update i.e. build 39 to build 40? As long as I assume the change log for the developer doesn’t say to wipe.

9. Something I’ve always noticed is after flashing a ROM and reinstalling Gapps that my Profile contact card is missing and I have to rekey all my details, is there away to restore this?

Thanks again

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
Thank you for the reply and all the pointers, just what I needed. I have some follow on questions…

4. What makes something an Accounts list? (whats the setting called in Titanium?) or Do you mean just restore user apps and not system apps?

7. I was referring to the minimum brightness, doesn’t the AOKP tweak just allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the senor?

8. When installing a ROM update, can you install the ROM on top of another ROM as long as it’s the same ROM and just an incremental update i.e. build 39 to build 40? As long as I assume the change log for the developer doesn’t say to wipe.

9. Something I’ve always noticed is after flashing a ROM and reinstalling Gapps that my Profile contact card is missing and I have to rekey all my details, is there away to restore this?

Thanks again

4) just restore user apps
7) i think it lets you tweak min brightness
8) yes. if you have problems after a flash over the current rom, you would need to wipe everything and reflash the rom however
9) i wouldnt restore it as it is part of a system app

Reactions: Jubakuba

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado

I mean if it shows up in Settings>Accounts. Like Google+ for example. If you have it set to auto-upload photos...you'll notice Settings>Accounts>Google>Instant Photo Upload is checked.

I just moved off of AOKP to play with Jelly Again today...so I can't give you the exact setting to change...but "dim level" is the level your screen dims to if you don't touch it for ~20 seconds or whatever. That setting needs to be LOWER than the lowest screen setting. So say: Dim Level = 1. Then you're lowest screen setting could be set to 2 (SUPER dim. I keep my phone pretty damn dim and I use 10). Custom Values shows
Screen Level 0-260
Sensor Value0-infinity. 4000 is about as bright as a super sunny day.
Room level brightness = a max of about 800.
So what I do is...
Scroll to the bottom. Change # of levels to 6
Then sensor values would go like this:
Then screen levels
Or similar. This will keep your phone dim...unless it needs to be bright.

I'm OCD. I don't. I like to be the guy who can confirm/report anything that isn't working correctly. If I don't wipe: I can't do that...as any bugs COULD be my fault. But most people only wipe every couple/few installs.
I've never actually paid attention. Mine seems to retain my picture...that's all I've noticed. But contacts storage (as zep said) isn't something I'd really trust restoring from one rom to the next.
Thanks again

Reactions: mikeparkie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My questions:

No, swapping pieces in and out of roms is impossible without actually modifying the code...cherry picking from their gerrit.

There aren't really "custom" radios. Radios are closed source. Any flashable .zip is SOMEONE's radio...from some service. I generally just keep the newest one from my provider on my phone.

Factory Reset. That's all you need. This bullocks about wiping system/cache/twice/spin-in-a-circle-and-touch-your-toes....it does nothing.

When you flash a new rom simply uncheck the "Restore my data to this phone" during the set-up process. Google will still sync:
    Photos (Google+), Contacts, Bookmarks, Gmail, Wallet, and anything else you have in the google "Account Settings" list. P.S. A general rule of thumb is to NOT restore anything via Titanium that has an Accounts list. Just because this will probably interfere with said's application syncing.

Yep. Use post 2 of my guide (linked in sig) to make sure you're installing roms properly.

No...you can do super-simple stuff. Like if you have a kernel.zip and you found another developers boot.img: you can replace it with the one that resides in the .zip so you don't have to fastboot flash it. If you didn't fully understand that...don't try it. But no: you can't mix and match.

No.

You say you're on AOKP...
    Settings>Screen>Custom Brightness Levels or something like that. You can adjust the auto-brightness levels...and how bright the room needs to be to fall to said levels.

Regards,
    mikeparkie

Thanks again

4) just restore user apps
    7) i think it lets you tweak min brightness
    8) yes. if you have problems after a flash over the current rom, you would need to wipe everything and reflash the rom however
    9) i wouldnt restore it as it is part of a system app

I mean if it shows up in Settings>Accounts. Like Google+ for example. If you have it set to auto-upload photos...you'll notice Settings>Accounts>Google>Instant Photo Upload is checked.

I just moved off of AOKP to play with Jelly Again today...so I can't give you the exact setting to change...but "dim level" is the level your screen dims to if you don't touch it for ~20 seconds or whatever. That setting needs to be LOWER than the lowest screen setting. So say: Dim Level = 1. Then you're lowest screen setting could be set to 2 (SUPER dim. I keep my phone pretty damn dim and I use 10). Custom Values shows
    Screen Level 0-260
    Sensor Value0-infinity. 4000 is about as bright as a super sunny day.
    Room level brightness = a max of about 800.
    So what I do is...
    Scroll to the bottom. Change # of levels to 6
    Then sensor values would go like this:
    Then screen levels
    Or similar. This will keep your phone dim...unless it needs to be bright.

I'm OCD. I don't. I like to be the guy who can confirm/report anything that isn't working correctly. If I don't wipe: I can't do that...as any bugs COULD be my fault. But most people only wipe every couple/few installs.
    I've never actually paid attention. Mine seems to retain my picture...that's all I've noticed. But contacts storage (as zep said) isn't something I'd really trust restoring from one rom to the next.
    Thanks again
    Thanks very much for answering all my questions guys, it's very much appreciated