Something about root

Search This thread

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vkAcCLa2PDTsall2Q97hfnJs6jPC-kIv/view?usp=sharing
It is too large so I cannot upload it. This is the Google Drive link.
It does work, I patched it, flashed as AP, and root is present.

However, I have a weird issue now — when the display is turned off, either using the power button, or automatically after the timeout set in settings — it doesn’t turn back on for me now. When I press the power button now, the Tab goes on, but the display stays off.

Thought it was due to turning off autobrightness, think I’ve seen historically somewhere such behavior. But no, even when I turned autobrightness on now, it won’t come back on now. Every time it goes off, I have to force reboot, to make it turn back on.

Any idea what can be causing this?

Nightmare0

Apr 17, 2020
SIngapore
It does work, I patched it, flashed as AP, and root is present.

However, I have a weird issue now — when the display is turned off, either using the power button, or automatically after the timeout set in settings — it doesn’t turn back on for me now. When I press the power button now, the Tab goes on, but the display stays off.

Thought it was due to turning off autobrightness, think I’ve seen historically somewhere such behavior. But no, even when I turned autobrightness on now, it won’t come back on now. Every time it goes off, I have to force reboot, to make it turn back on.

Any idea what can be causing this?

I've tested, and I haven't got this issue. Try to turn on the "Magisk Core Only Mode" and reboot. It may be caused by some module.

By the way, the boot file I uploaded is only for Galaxy Tab S7+ T970, software version TH1. What's the model and software version of your device?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
OK, that's the reason, I've got T976B. Will have to wait for the firmware for it and patch it then — currently not yet on sammobile…

I thought I checked that yours was the same version, but apparently not…

Nightmare0

Apr 17, 2020
SIngapore
OK, that's the reason, I've got T976B. Will have to wait for the firmware for it and patch it then — currently not yet on sammobile…

I thought I checked that yours was the same version, but apparently not…
I've found the firmware for T976B. Use Samfirm to search SM-T976B, region DBT. Flash the latest firmware and then patch the boot file and flash it.

mikedavo

Sep 16, 2017
You know, the tab s6 is the first device I've owned and not rooted.
I have instead installed samsung package disabler, pushed through a couple of ADB commands for shortcutter and gsam battery monitor. Honestly in practical terms I don't believe root is an advantage any more, infact it causes more problems than it solves.
There are apps avaliable now on the play store that with the granting of permissions can do most of if not all of what only rooted apps could do in the past eg. Xposed edge has been replaced with Edge gestures.
Granted there are some notable exceptions such as backup apps and kernel tweakers but nothing game changing.
I won't be rooting my tab s7 plus when it arrives for aforementioned reasons.

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power
You know, the tab s6 is the first device I've owned and not rooted.
I have instead installed samsung package disabler, pushed through a couple of ADB commands for shortcutter and gsam battery monitor. Honestly in practical terms I don't believe root is an advantage any more, infact it causes more problems than it solves.
There are apps avaliable now on the play store that with the granting of permissions can do most of if not all of what only rooted apps could do in the past eg. Xposed edge has been replaced with Edge gestures.
Granted there are some notable exceptions such as backup apps and kernel tweakers but nothing game changing.
I won't be rooting my tab s7 plus when it arrives for aforementioned reasons.
I have a TabS6 rooted and I don't have any problems at all.

mikedavo

Sep 16, 2017
I have a TabS6 rooted and I don't have any problems at all.
Yes you do, you just haven't come across one yet but you will. Widvine l1 support, losing your warranty after unlocking your bootloader are just two obvious ones.
I would like to know what you gain from rooting an 855 soc apart from what I have already mentioned? Not being sarcastic, honestly would like to know. Even true full custom roms probably will be very limited on a tablet, I'm guessing DEX is a pain to incorporate bugfree.

Last edited:

RedCriwx

Jul 18, 2010
Seville
I can confirm it is working fine in a S7+ (SM-T970 EUX). At least in my case.

-Unlock OEM (under developer options)
-Boot in download mode (with the tablet powered down, press volume up + volume down and connect usb cable to PC)
-Long press volume up to unlock bootloader (you will lose all your data!)
-Download the original firmware (Using SamFirm),
-Flash it using ODIN in donwload mode (Optional, just to make sure you are using the same image you are going to patch)
-Extract boot.img.lz4 from AP_xxxx tar file.
-Decompress the lz4 to get the uncompressed boot.img
-Copy the file to the tablet
-Patch it using the latest Magisk Manager.
-Copy the patched boot image back to the PC.
-Recompress it as boot.img.tar
-Flash it using AP slot in Odin and reboot tablet.

You are done! Magisk manager shloud say now it is rooted. (you will also have a BIG warning every time the tablet is powered on, telling you how irresponsable and despicable you are by modifying the device)

Thanks to Nightmare0 and all the others that pointed the tools and hints to do it!

RedCrowx

Last edited:
Reactions: dej1i

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried rooting the Tab S7 with magisk with no luck.
    After flashing patched AP magisk doesn't show as installed
    Extract boot.img.lz4 and tar it. Use magisk to patch it. Flash it by using AP slot and then wipe data.
    It didn't work for me can you send me the TAR file you used?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vkAcCLa2PDTsall2Q97hfnJs6jPC-kIv/view?usp=sharing
    It is too large so I cannot upload it. This is the Google Drive link. (Only for T970 ver. TH1)
    I can confirm it is working fine in a S7+ (SM-T970 EUX). At least in my case.

-Unlock OEM (under developer options)
    -Boot in download mode (with the tablet powered down, press volume up + volume down and connect usb cable to PC)
    -Long press volume up to unlock bootloader (you will lose all your data!)
    -Download the original firmware (Using SamFirm),
    -Flash it using ODIN in donwload mode (Optional, just to make sure you are using the same image you are going to patch)
    -Extract boot.img.lz4 from AP_xxxx tar file.
    -Decompress the lz4 to get the uncompressed boot.img
    -Copy the file to the tablet
    -Patch it using the latest Magisk Manager.
    -Copy the patched boot image back to the PC.
    -Recompress it as boot.img.tar
    -Flash it using AP slot in Odin and reboot tablet.

You are done! Magisk manager shloud say now it is rooted. (you will also have a BIG warning every time the tablet is powered on, telling you how irresponsable and despicable you are by modifying the device)

Thanks to Nightmare0 and all the others that pointed the tools and hints to do it!

RedCrowx
    Can you help me please?

After flashing the patched file, you should wipe data.

Hi gents, can anyone help me please?
    I followed ssalkuwari step by step, I had to Wipe/Factory reset to get my tablet to boot into the system normally, and finally got two messages when I started my Tablet.
    The first one says bootloader is unlocked and the second one says this tablet is not running Samsung official software. I assume I succeed to root it.
    However, when I checked the tablet if it's rooted with few apps, all of them giving me it is not. Even I tried to check that with Rootoking and RootKing. Still getting the same results, that the tablet can't be rooted.
    Any help?
    Sorry for the slightly off topic but can anyone who has tripped knox on their tab s7+ confirm if widevine has been affected? Any lowering of resolution in paid streaming apps like netflix, youtube tv or prime video? Jonesing to root my tablet but not sure I want to risk losing widevine L1.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone