Something about root

Search This thread

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power
Yes you do, you just haven't come across one yet but you will. Widvine l1 support, losing your warranty after unlocking your bootloader are just two obvious ones.
I would like to know what you gain from rooting an 855 soc apart from what I have already mentioned? Not being sarcastic, honestly would like to know. Even true full custom roms probably will be very limited on a tablet, I'm guessing DEX is a pain to incorporate bugfree.
Well if the buttons stop working or anything else hardware wise I really don't think there would be a warranty problem.

Well lets see:
TiBu
Shortcutter
Button mapper (wonderful things if you're rooted)
ES file Explorer Pro etc. etc.

Your flat out wrong about custom roms. I've had custom roms on all my Sammy tabs and they've been great. With the un writable system (Android 10) custom roms are going to be necessary. I luv my custom boot ani's and audio's.

I've been rooted since day one and have had not a problem one. Those that do are likely just knuckleheads doing stupid ****.

I just pre ordered aTab S7 256 and I'll root that ***** straight out of the box. You shouldn't critique rooting if you're not because you really don't what you're talking about... Not to be "sarcastic"... Member...

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

I can confirm it is working fine in a S7+ (SM-T970 EUX). At least in my case.

-Unlock OEM (under developer options)
-Boot in download mode (with the tablet powered down, press volume up + volume down and connect usb cable to PC)
-Long press volume up to unlock bootloader (you will lose all your data!)
-Download the original firmware (Using SamFirm),
-Flash it using ODIN in donwload mode (Optional, just to make sure you are using the same image you are going to patch)
-Extract boot.img.lz4 from AP_xxxx tar file.
-Decompress the lz4 to get the uncompressed boot.img
-Copy the file to the tablet
-Patch it using the latest Magisk Manager.
-Copy the patched boot image back to the PC.
-Recompress it as boot.img.tar
-Flash it using AP slot in Odin and reboot tablet.

You are done! Magisk manager shloud say now it is rooted. (you will also have a BIG warning every time the tablet is powered on, telling you how irresponsable and despicable you are by modifying the device)

Thanks to Nightmare0 and all the others that pointed the tools and hints to do it!

RedCrowx
Hey @RedCriwx
I just patched the whole AP file in magisk and flashed that on my Tab S6. Will that work on the S7 to the best of your knowledge?

Last edited:

mikedavo

Sep 16, 2017
Well if the buttons stop working or anything else hardware wise I really don't think there would be a warranty problem.

Well lets see:
TiBu
Shortcutter
Button mapper (wonderful things if you're rooted)
ES file Explorer Pro etc. etc.

Your flat out wrong about custom roms. I've had custom roms on all my Sammy tabs and they've been great. With the un writable system (Android 10) custom roms are going to be necessary. I luv my custom boot ani's and audio's.

I've been rooted since day one and have had not a problem one. Those that do are likely just knuckleheads doing stupid ****.

I just pre ordered aTab S7 256 and I'll root that ***** straight out of the box. You shouldn't critique rooting if you're not because you really don't what you're talking about... Not to be "sarcastic"... Member...

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Hey @RedCriwx
I just patched the whole AP file in magisk and flashed that on my Tab S6. Will that work on the S7 to the best of your knowledge?
Oh, you mean you like to tinker.
Well yeah if that's you're thing. I got a kick out of tinkering too, as I've already mentioned, I have rooted every device I've owned until this tablet. Btw where are all the custom rom you speak of for this year old device?
Tell me why did you buy this tab, so you could tinker or to actually enjoy it?
Like I said from the start, root is just not necessary anymore to get great experience in fact it can hinder the experience.
I can critique anything I want mate, it's up to the listener to to respond or (not). If your but hurt about it, that's your issue because I don't have control over what you do.
I use my tab to watch movies, play games, do work, do art. There is not a dam thing root is going do to make those better.
If you wanna look at boot screens and semi transparent notifications and what ever that you're diggidy but don't accuse me of being some kind of false prophet.

Last edited:

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power
Oh, you mean you like to tinker.
Well yeah if that's you're thing. I got a kick out of tinkering too, as I've already mentioned, I have rooted every device I've owned until this tablet. Btw where are all the custom rom you speak of for this year old device?
Tell me why did you buy this tab, so you could tinker or to actually enjoy it?
Like I said from the start, root is just not necessary anymore to get great experience in fact it can hinder the experience.
I can critique anything I want mate, it's up to the listener to to respond or (not). If your but hurt about it, that's your issue because I don't have control over what you do.
I use my tab to watch movies, play games, do work, do art. There is not a dam thing root is going do to make those better.
If you wanna look at boot screens and semi transparent notifications and what ever that you're diggidy but don't accuse me of being some kind of false prophet.
Whaaaaas

RedCriwx

Jul 18, 2010
Seville

I don't think it would work. Magisk can't patch a lz4 compressed file (I tried and it throws an error). You have to decompress it in order to patch it. Inside the big APxxx.tar file everything is compressed with lz4 so I don't think Magisk is able to path anithing inside.

I haven't tried myself, but if you ask me a would say no, it will not work.

RedCrowx

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power
I don't think it would work. Magisk can't patch a lz4 compressed file (I tried and it throws an error). You have to decompress it in order to patch it. Inside the big APxxx.tar file everything is compressed with lz4 so I don't think Magisk is able to path anithing inside.

I haven't tried myself, but if you ask me a would say no, it will not work.

RedCrowx
Ok, here's what I did :
Downloaded the latest firmware zip from SamFW to my PC (XAR) Which is USA
Unzipped the file in a folder I named S7
Copied the AP file to my Tab S6
Opened Magisk Manager (Need to install Magisk Manager?)
Tapped "Magisk is up to date"
Chose "Install" then "select a file to patch"
Selected the AP file I saved to my external storage

Magisk did it's thing and patched the AP file (you don't have to reboot).
Magisk saves the file (magisk_patched.tar) to internal storage Download folder by default.
Copied "magisk_patched.tar" back to my PC in the S7 folder.
Now it's ready to flash in Odin.

Magisk_patched.tar to AP Slot
BL to BL Slot
Home_CSC to CSC Slot
There's no CP file for the WiFi version

Now your S7 should be ready to root

Keep in mind that this was preliminary to how I rooted my Tab S6 WiFi (it's easy).

I'll write up an unlock Bootloader & Root the Tab S7 WiFi version as soon as mine arrives (Sammy says it will ship the 18th)... Just to be sure.

I'm not sure why you would have to go through the extract boot image thing but this is how I did my S6 and feel confident at this stage it will work for the S7 WiFi version.

Let me know what you think guyz. The worst that could happen is you'll have to flash full firmware if something goes wrong.

I'm ready to go! All the ducks in a row.

TAB S6 WIFI VERSION XAR (USA) WAITING FOR MY TAB S7!

EDIT:
This is after you unlock the bootloader which wipes data.
Home CSC vs. CSC file... Home CSC Doesn't wipe data... CSC does.

Last edited:

RedCriwx

Jul 18, 2010
Seville
Ok, here's what I did : ...

I tested it and you are right, it works copying the hole AP_XXXXX.tar.md5 file. But even then, that way you are working with a 6GB file. It takes "forever" to copy to the tablet. It takes "forever" to be patched with magisk manager, it takes "forever" to copy the patched file back ro your PC and it takes "forever" to flash it with Odin. With "forever" I mean like 2.5-3 minutes on each operation.

If you extract the boot.img file, you are working with a 30MB file, so each operation is almost immediate, and you end up saving like 10 minutes in all the process.

I would reccomend working with just the boot.img.tar file to speed up the process.

RedCrowx.

Last edited:

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power
I tested it and you are right, it works copying the hole AP_XXXXX.tar.md5 file. But even then, that way you are working with a 6GB file. It takes "forever" to copy to the tablet. It takes "forever" to be patched with magisk manager, it takes "forever" to copy the patched file back ro your PC and it takes "forever" to flash it with Odin. With "forever" I mean like 2.5-3 minutes on each operation.

If you extract the boot.img file, you are working with a 30MB file, so each operation is almost immediate, and you end up saving like 10 minutes in all the process.

I would reccomend working with just the boot.img.tar file to speed up the process.

RedCrowx.
Not a patient fellow ehh @RedCriwx
This is rudimentary stuff and important for some folks to know. Criticize if you like but knowledge is a good thing both ways. :)

ssalkuwari

Mar 26, 2020

-Boot in download mode (with the tablet powered down, press volume up + volume down and connect usb cable to PC)
-Flash it using ODIN in donwload mode (Optional, just to make sure you are using the same image you are going to patch)

You are done! Magisk manager shloud say now it is rooted. (you will also have a BIG warning every time the tablet is powered on, telling you how irresponsable and despicable you are by modifying the device)

Thanks to Nightmare0 and all the others that pointed the tools and hints to do it!

RedCrowx

after flashing boot.img.tar it rebooted then rebooted again and it went into recovery giving me two options .. i had to Wipe/Factory reset to get my tablet to boot into the system normally

SamSydney

Sep 26, 2020
Can you help me please?

After flashing the patched file, you should wipe data.

Hi gents, can anyone help me please?
I followed ssalkuwari step by step, I had to Wipe/Factory reset to get my tablet to boot into the system normally, and finally got two messages when I started my Tablet.
The first one says bootloader is unlocked and the second one says this tablet is not running Samsung official software. I assume I succeed to root it.
However, when I checked the tablet if it's rooted with few apps, all of them giving me it is not. Even I tried to check that with Rootoking and RootKing. Still getting the same results, that the tablet can't be rooted.
Any help?

Last edited:

hurray

Oct 25, 2010
OnePlus One
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

RedCrowx

Thank you very much! This has worked for me (also on SM-T970 EUX) very well! :)
The only difference was that I used the whole AP-file for patching. Indeed it was much bigger than only the boot.img but also a little bit easier to do.
Good to know that both approaches are working.

Btw: I also used information directly from the Magisk Site itself: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root

stuzor

Dec 31, 2008
Sorry for the slightly off topic but can anyone who has tripped knox on their tab s7+ confirm if widevine has been affected? Any lowering of resolution in paid streaming apps like netflix, youtube tv or prime video? Jonesing to root my tablet but not sure I want to risk losing widevine L1.

Nightmare0

Apr 17, 2020
SIngapore
Sorry for the slightly off topic but can anyone who has tripped knox on their tab s7+ confirm if widevine has been affected? Any lowering of resolution in paid streaming apps like netflix, youtube tv or prime video? Jonesing to root my tablet but not sure I want to risk losing widevine L1.
Still L1. I can still watch Netflix.

Nightmare0

Apr 17, 2020
SIngapore
Lol, it's l3, sure you can still watch Netflix, but it won't play at hd/4k with l3.
My tablet is L1, rooted. Btw, you cannot play Netflix 4K video on an Android device, only HD 1080P. If it's L3, then you can only play 540P video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201029-221555_DevCheck.jpg
    Screenshot_20201029-221555_DevCheck.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 78

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
About 3 weeks ago I bought the WIFI (T870) version of the S7 and I am loving it. Samsung gave me a $400 discount in trade for my Tab S4, plus an additional $100 instant rebate which made the purchase very affordable. I have no regrets whatsoever. I am one of those users who loves to tinker. But I am hesitate to root given that this tablet just rocks and using ADB I have been able to remove all of the unnecessary bloatware. I don't have a burning desire for a custom rom. As a matter of fact, I was running a debloated rooted stock ROM on my S4. However, there are some user data backups for a couple of my games that I can't access. The only backups I have are with TWRP and Titanium Backup. TWRP is not available for this device and TB requires root. I have been playing these games for several years and don't relish the idea of starting from scratch. So root it will be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried rooting the Tab S7 with magisk with no luck.
    After flashing patched AP magisk doesn't show as installed
    Extract boot.img.lz4 and tar it. Use magisk to patch it. Flash it by using AP slot and then wipe data.
    It didn't work for me can you send me the TAR file you used?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vkAcCLa2PDTsall2Q97hfnJs6jPC-kIv/view?usp=sharing
    It is too large so I cannot upload it. This is the Google Drive link. (Only for T970 ver. TH1)

RedCrowx
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone