Question Sometimes Only Receive Texts After Restart

Search This thread
Hey All,

So I have an unlocked S22 Ultra and have my Verizon SIM card installed. Over the last week or 2 I have noticed that occasionally, not all the time I will notice I am not receiving text messages. Once I realize it has been hours I will restart my phone. Once I restart, the text messages come flooding in. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this and a possible fix/resolution?

Thanks.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Is global power management active?
Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise global power management is active. It will cause erratic behaviors. It's not needed or desirable, it never did work well. It can not be disable here though.

Example: how its controls appear on a Samsung N10+ in Device Care, battery, it's usually a little buried but it's there. You'll find something similar to this. It's part of the core Android system.
These settings will cause trouble...
Screenshot_20220906-102230_Device care.jpg

Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise global power management is active. It will cause erratic behaviors. It's not needed or desirable, it never did work well. It can not be disable here though.

Example: how its controls appear on a Samsung N10+ in Device Care, battery, it's usually a little buried but it's there. You'll find something similar to this. It's part of the core Android system.
View attachment 5705745
So here is an example of my screen when I go into Dev Options > Standby Apps. Looks like global power management is active. I can't find the settings page of your screenshot on my S22 however. I can tell you that I do have adaptive battery enabled but I can't seem to find those other settings. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-120724_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-120724_Settings.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
So here is an example of my screen when I go into Dev Options > Standby Apps. Looks like global power management is active. I can't find the settings page of your screenshot on my S22 however. I can tell you that I do have adaptive battery enabled but I can't seem to find those other settings. Thanks.
Yeap it's active and raising hell.
Doesn't even do much in terms of power savings and can even make it worse even after its "adapted"🤣
Look around, the setting for it is there. On individual apps toggling the don't use battery in the background does not invoke global power management.
Screenshot_20220906-115941_Device care.jpg

Yeap it's active and raising hell.
Doesn't even do much in terms of power savings and can even make it worse even after its "adapted"🤣
Look around, the setting for it is there. On individual apps toggling the don't use battery in the background does not invoke global power management.
View attachment 5705781
Ok I will poke around the settings. So are you saying for me to disable adaptive battery and then to also disable all of the other settings you circled in your original post screenshot? Thanks for the help on this.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
So does that mean that all I need to do is disable adaptive battery and the rest takes care of itself?
Yes, if that's the cause. It's a known troublemaker. For me if listening to Poweramp via bt it will kill it in a few minutes, very annoying if you don't know where to look.

If you disabled any of the many small Samsung system apks, that may be the cause. Most use little or no resources and are best left alone.

Ok I will poke around the settings. So are you saying for me to disable adaptive battery and then to also disable all of the other settings you circled in your original post screenshot? Thanks for the help on this.
You don't need to disable Adaptive Battery. Add your texting app to never sleeping apps.

Device Care - > Battery - > Background usage limits - > Never sleeping apps. Hit the plus sign and add the apps you don't want to sleep.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You don't need to disable Adaptive Battery. Add your texting app to never sleeping apps.

Device Care - > Battery - > Background usage limits - > Never sleeping apps. Hit the plus sign and add the apps you don't want to sleep.

In my case that solution didn't work and it continued to misbehave anyway...
Adaptive battery never worked right. It never adapted even after a week and the excessive battery drain continued unabated.
Deal with power hogs on a case by case basis instead. Android will run better without it once optimized.
Lazy solutions yield inferior results.

Last edited:
Yes, if that's the cause. It's a known troublemaker. For me if listening to Poweramp via bt it will kill it in a few minutes, very annoying if you don't know where to look.

If you disabled any of the many small Samsung system apks, that may be the cause. Most use little or no resources and are best left alone.
Just a quick update. I did disable adaptive battery and I noticed a major difference in my battery life (much worse). I re-enabled adaptive battery and it seems to have taken a week or so for my battery life to be where it was at pre-disabling of adaptive battery. What I did was just go into the messages app settings and set it to unrestricted and so far so good.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Just a quick update. I did disable adaptive battery and I noticed a major difference in my battery life (much worse). I re-enabled adaptive battery and it seems to have taken a week or so for my battery life to be where it was at pre-disabling of adaptive battery. What I did was just go into the messages app settings and set it to unrestricted and so far so good.
It needs to be optimized. Adaptive battery is a lame stop gap measure. An optimized device produces superior SOT and standby mode battery times. I tried it all different kinds of ways, for months... it was too much fun🤣

An optimized N10+ gets double the battery life...
Screenshot_20220922-175626_AccuBattery.jpg

It needs to be optimized. Adaptive battery is a lame stop gap measure. An optimized device produces superior SOT and standby mode battery times. I tried it all different kinds of ways, for months... it was too much fun🤣

An optimized N10+ gets double the battery life...
View attachment 5718159
Is there a guide on this? I'd love to be able to get those metrics. My battery life went to hell when I disabled adaptive battery.

Is there a guide on this? I'd love to be able to get those metrics. My battery life went to hell when I disabled adaptive battery.
Don't listen to him, you do as you please with Adaptive battery if you are seeing the results for itself.

He has a Note 10+ running Android 9 or 10, not a S22 Ultra with Android 12.

You did it the correct way, which was go into Messages and put it to Unrestricted.

You can do that for every app which you need notifications from at all times. I have it set like that for my email app, Outlook for work, Whatsapp, etc.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I pretty much hunted the hogs down one by one.
Then I try optimize the app by settings if it was useful. Otherwise disable it usually with Package Disabler. To blindly use a list will cause trouble as you don't know what or how the app function or their dependencies if any. Each user is unique and so will be their lists and solutions.

The learning curse is a bit steeper with Androids to get the most out of them. It's sort of like asking someone how to use a computer. No simple answer other then to play with until you have specific questions to ask. I play with my N10+ on and off when bored or have an issue.

I never do firmware updates or upgrades as this will create issues. Most apps I never update either. Don't change the playing field if the device is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Don't listen to him, you do as you please with Adaptive battery if you are seeing the results for itself.

He has a Note 10+ running Android 9 or 10, not a S22 Ultra with Android 12.

You did it the correct way, which was go into Messages and put it to Unrestricted.

You can do that for every app which you need notifications from at all times. I have it set like that for my email app, Outlook for work, Whatsapp, etc.
Lol, adaptive battery never work right. I'm getting 11-12hrs SOT with a derated 3600 mAh battery.
Of course if I followed your advice I get the same lousy SOT as you do even if I had a new battery.
If I didn't optimize and didn't use adaptive battery the SOT be even worse.
Adaptive battery is a bandaid for the lazy and inept, but you're still gonna be ozzing cpu cycles.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

View attachment 5705745
    Ok, I just disabled it and restarted the phone, fingers crossed! Thanks so much for the advice!