Sonim XP3800 - images, rooting and software

Search This thread

ytagger

Sep 23, 2020
The Sonim XP3800 is a very rugged phone, but it is very limited. Rooting can expand its capabilities.

1) This is the stock image for the Sprint model

3A.0.5-05-8.1.0-29.70.00_USER_PST.zip

2) This is the magisk - patched boot image

boot.img

3) Flash tool

Sonim Feature Phone Software Installer

Username: testmulti
Password: testmulti123

4) After flashing the patched boot image, use adb to install Magisk Manager

5) To install apps directly from the phone, install https://github.com/bavelee/PokeInstaller

6) To enable DIAG mode, install Activity Launcher. Then open EPST Hidden Menu activity DiagView. Now enable DIAG mode. This is a special DIAG mode which also includes other USB modes. QFIL may not recognize it. Otherwise, enable it through root with
Code:
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

Last edited:
Reactions: SpectralUA

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
@ytagger - which carrier/version is the image for? I setup dev mode on my US Cellular unlocked XP3, had a successful connection via the Sonim Software Tool, unzipped the image and overwrote the boot.img, but I got a version not applicable to phone or downgrade error when trying to flash it. What’s the approach for this?

ytagger

Sep 23, 2020
@ytagger - which carrier/version is the image for? I setup dev mode on my US Cellular unlocked XP3, had a successful connection via the Sonim Software Tool, unzipped the image and overwrote the boot.img, but I got a version not applicable to phone or downgrade error when trying to flash it. What’s the approach for this?
This image is for Sprint. I'll try to upload the US Cellular version later

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
Hmm - I had a better understanding of how to flash and root the Sprint image. I don’t know how to work with the US Cellular one. It does not seem to have the img files that allowed the Sonim flash tool to work

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
Argh - I adb pushed magisk onto the Sonim XP3 to see if I could install the boot image. Unfortunately, couldn't find a way to select the file inside magisk (sonim only allows Gallery, Contacts, Music Player to select files). Can't fastboot flash the boot.img because I can't unlock the bootloader

So lost @ytagger . Tried QFIL but struggled to make anything work.

noob0

Apr 23, 2021
Hey I don't have any experience with this and was looking to put apps on the sprint Sonim without using adb, i tried using the flash tool and downloaded the boot img on the computer, but I have no idea if I'm using the tool wrong or if the boot img needs to be modified extracted or unzipped and if I'm supposed to find the file in the build path or something else entirely, can somebody please help me?

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
I can’t really help you, but I can mention that adbed some apps to the device and realized how impossible it can be to use apps in android without a touch screen And such low resolution. I may not see the value in this that I had hoped for.

noob0

Apr 23, 2021
I can’t really help you, but I can mention that adbed some apps to the device and realized how impossible it can be to use apps in android without a touch screen And such low resolution. I may not see the value in this that I had hoped for.
Check out the website apps4flip they have a bunch of apps that work without a touchscreen and those are meant for a crippled android 5, the sonim I think is better, there is even a mouse for it in the forums there though it probably doesn't drag, my problem was locating the boot.img in the build path of the flash tool if that's how you use it, if anybody can help that would be great

SpectralUA

Sep 21, 2010
Hi, all. Someone succeed with dualsim activation? Have some xp3 and xp5s. Both with double slots but only one active card. I think similar sim-disable method for 3, 5s, 8.

Reactions: howipig

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
That app4flip website is amazing even if you don't care for the religious overtones. I spent an entire day examining the stuff people had considered and the mouse app is perfect to handle apps that rely on a touchscreen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, all. Someone succeed with dualsim activation? Have some xp3 and xp5s. Both with double slots but only one active card. I think similar sim-disable method for 3, 5s, 8.
    The Sonim XP3800 is a very rugged phone, but it is very limited. Rooting can expand its capabilities.

1) This is the stock image for the Sprint model

3A.0.5-05-8.1.0-29.70.00_USER_PST.zip

2) This is the magisk - patched boot image

boot.img

3) Flash tool

Sonim Feature Phone Software Installer

Username: testmulti
    Password: testmulti123

4) After flashing the patched boot image, use adb to install Magisk Manager

5) To install apps directly from the phone, install https://github.com/bavelee/PokeInstaller

6) To enable DIAG mode, install Activity Launcher. Then open EPST Hidden Menu activity DiagView. Now enable DIAG mode. This is a special DIAG mode which also includes other USB modes. QFIL may not recognize it. Otherwise, enable it through root with
    Code:
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone