Sony all but confirms. NO Xperia PLAY 2!

Search This thread

murat17

Nov 22, 2011
Rotterdam
I really don't get it sow much people want an xperia play 2 or a phone like this but sony keeps saying no, why :s make an xperia play HD or at least a phone wits psych controls is enough for the most i think

mehdi.moha

Dec 21, 2010
Vaxjo
Just came across this. Sony's chief marketing officer announced no plans for a Xperia PLAY 2.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Xperia+Play/Sony+Ericsson+Xperia+Play/news.asp?c=41486

I simply hate touch screen controls and dont see myself getting another phone unless it has the game controls....so much better then touchscreen.

+1
on my opinion H/W controler is much better that touch control .
also xperia play 2 was one of my best wishes !

but now , don't care , really don't care sony waht sony said . cause they already don't know what they wanna do

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
Every article that says this is basically regurgitating the same thing: such and such "Squashed Rumors".

What rumors. What did he say EXACTLY? That's what I want to know, because the media (especially tech media) is very good at hearing something that isn't said.

Personally, I think that with a focus on the playstation experience, an xperia play 2 is inevitable.

MilkyJoePD

Oct 30, 2011
I bet SE were thinking, "How great are we, a part of a gamepad that is sort of a touchscreen, not buttons? Aren't we clever and innovative?"

Hmmm... No.

Hindsight is good; foresight Is better.

Sent from my R800i using XDA

EnzoSZFang

Jun 1, 2012
I think the decision as of now would be no more XP2

Bcz XP is successfully as a play phone, but for help much to expend the PlayStation @ Android market.

I think for Sony, their aim is to sell the game but not just the phone.

luis12285

Apr 23, 2008
Corinth
Sony has sunk a lot of cash into the slow to react vita.... This is the reason for no ics.... Or a ver. 2......
(?) If you were in sony's shoes would you Not do the same thing?

sent from my XPlay

Geeve

Jul 10, 2011
I don't get why Sony tries to piss off so much the XPlay owners/commmunity. Instead of continuously giving out bad news for the device, they should try to reconcile with us by giving something else in change.

Although Sony is a nice company with great ideas, concepts and products, they seem to fail at this matter. I am still waiting for a good update for XPlay with many new additions.

swebosdev

Aug 30, 2011
It won't be either, Sony wanted to kill the play ever since they found out someone bought one instead of a vita.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

ClioCreslind

May 28, 2012
Whatever they do, a phone with Vita OS won't stand a chance.

First, majority of people need their phone to be dependable and secure, and NOT be a "plaything". An OS that evolved around a game console simply won't be treated seriously by consumers.

Second, Apps from all the major players are required such as google map, gmail, facebook, twitter, flash player, whatsapp, youtube, dropbox, etc... needless to say there's always arm-twisting between these, and other companies, to prevent any new OS from succeeding.

Without a serious image and support from these companies, a phone running on such an OS won't hit a critical mass required to attract app/content developers, and it will flop even harder than Xperia PLAY.

At this time, the next Xperia Play's best OS choice is still Android. But even then, I think Sony really dislike the idea of Playstation ecosystem sitting on top of Android. They may think it changes too fast, too many different hardware, or difficult to control piracy.

So even the best choice is not appealing. So I think Sony won't be putting Playstation content on Smartphones for years yet. And that's a shame because It think that's exactly what we all want happening now.

Last edited:

IanPPK

Jun 17, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
If you haven't heard, Sony and HTC are now partners with regards to PlayStation Certified devices, domains that's where the next Xperia PLAY will come from, although I haven't seen a flip or slide phone from HTC that sold well since the mytouch 4g. All I can say is that the next series of android phones will be very interesting to see, and only then can we truly discover where the xperia play will go.

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
If you haven't heard, Sony and HTC are now partners with regards to PlayStation Certified devices, domains that's where the next Xperia PLAY will come from, although I haven't seen a flip or slide phone from HTC that sold well since the mytouch 4g. All I can say is that the next series of android phones will be very interesting to see, and only then can we truly discover where the xperia play will go.

I'm seriously hoping HTC produces a phone with a gamepad. I've had a thing against sony for a long time (going back to before PS3 launched, but its gotten ever worse ever since). I was seriously biting the bullet to get this phone for its gamepad functionality. I've always wanted an HTC phone, and if they manage to come out with a game phone with decent specs, I'll be all over it. Anything to shoot sony the bird.

dabes88

Jan 29, 2012
leicester
If they gave the xperia play higher specs and made it more future proof then they would be seeing them starting to fly out now. Ironic at e3 they were saying they only put out the best.
This xperia play belongs in 2010

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's still too early to be announcing the Xperia Play 2 cause the Vita was released a few months ago.