Sony Android TV Users

Search This thread

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
thks for yr detailed anwer...
I'm still with Versioln 7.0, Build SVP4KDTV15_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S34 5433-release-keys
The "About.." tells me i'm uptodate and nothing to be downloaded !!! so I don't see where to update firmware...
but yes, I've tried all reommended tips by Sony

Seems you are not. You can update to 5.457 as it seems (manually anyway, with USB stick).
What tv do you have? What model do you have? 43X8301C or 43X8309C? (should be the same, only a different region)
Also check the total firmware link in my big post.

zorglub!

Jun 26, 2010
Paris
My TV model is 43X8309C...and as suggested, I will upgrade to 5.467..Just a quicky...I've 3 USB slots, can I use anyone of those or should I prefer #1 for example
Thks again for yr help

dabyd64

Jan 14, 2012
A Coruna
My TV is up and running again.
Be warned, these Bravia TVs suffer from the same issues as old Samsungs, similar to sudden death.
My TV had 5 years, I only use it for Youtube, Kodi... Storage was always empty (I use a NFS disk for media), yet it took the same path as many others.
When your TV starts randomly freezing, and hard reset doesn't help or actually makes it worse causing a bootloop, it's a bad eMMC signal.
eMMC can be changed, but the RPMB area stores some keys, you can't read it without a secure key, so that part will be lost.
After cloning the memory to a new one, the TV will work again, but Sat TV, Netflix, ChromeCast won't work due the missing DRM data.
Anyways, this TV hardware was becoming old, it's been a while thinking on adding a TV box.
The lastest Chromecast (with Google TV) came just in time, the remote controller should rule everything, as the chromecast is able to control the Tv using HDMI CEC.

So I don't recommend modifying them. As far as I know, there's no easy way to reinstall the firmware.
Sure, you can force the update by pressing PWR + VOL- then inserting the power, it will copy the update... then exit at ~50% because it will check the version, and if same or older, it'll skip it.
So if you modify something in the system, unless a new way to reinstall comes up, you'll be pretty much screwed up. That, or make a backup of the eMMC first, which isn't for everyone, requires soldering, etc....

zorglub!

Jun 26, 2010
Paris
bad luck...
Upgraded to 5.467 but same issue with the rmote control
Can't still switch ON/OFF
Not a big deal though , I switch ON/OFF with the hardware button on the rear of the TV
Pretty archaic no ?

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
bad luck...
Upgraded to 5.467 but same issue with the rmote control
Can't still switch ON/OFF
Not a big deal though , I switch ON/OFF with the hardware button on the rear of the TV
Pretty archaic no ?

Is the remote working?!
I got my tv with 2 remote (second being a touchpad remote, which seems to be RF instead of IR).
Or try a phone with IR (and generic app).
Else try to emulate the IR command in command line as suggested (to maybe eliminate a strange software error).

zorglub!

Jun 26, 2010
Paris
Hi
The only remote I have is the genuine Sony's....(RMT-TX1000 IR)
The rest of the remote seems to be OK, for example soound up/down ok, chains selection OK, virtual keyboard ok
simply On/Off seems screwed up
Strange strange !!!

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
My TV is up and running again.
Be warned, these Bravia TVs suffer from the same issues as old Samsungs, similar to sudden death.
My TV had 5 years, I only use it for Youtube, Kodi... Storage was always empty (I use a NFS disk for media), yet it took the same path as many others.
When your TV starts randomly freezing, and hard reset doesn't help or actually makes it worse causing a bootloop, it's a bad eMMC signal.
eMMC can be changed, but the RPMB area stores some keys, you can't read it without a secure key, so that part will be lost.
After cloning the memory to a new one, the TV will work again, but Sat TV, Netflix, ChromeCast won't work due the missing DRM data.
Anyways, this TV hardware was becoming old, it's been a while thinking on adding a TV box.
The lastest Chromecast (with Google TV) came just in time, the remote controller should rule everything, as the chromecast is able to control the Tv using HDMI CEC.

So I don't recommend modifying them. As far as I know, there's no easy way to reinstall the firmware.
Sure, you can force the update by pressing PWR + VOL- then inserting the power, it will copy the update... then exit at ~50% because it will check the version, and if same or older, it'll skip it.
So if you modify something in the system, unless a new way to reinstall comes up, you'll be pretty much screwed up. That, or make a backup of the eMMC first, which isn't for everyone, requires soldering, etc....

Fastboot?
I got my tv in fastboot, although it freezes or reboots on some of the well known fastboot switches/commands.
And we do have some of the ready to flash images now I guess. Just be ware to NOT flash images that contain tv specific info (like DRM/keys/serial etc)!

Or else, we may be able to use (MediaTek) (SmartPhone) SP Flash Tool (mirror 1 / mirror 2) which btw is the equivalent of Qualcomm's EDL (Emergency Download Mode) / Qualcomm HS-USB QD-Loader 9008 using Sahara and Firehose protocols.
I did not dare yet to try and fire this up, but should be possible, as we have an MTK chipset.
Just too bad we need someone elses ripped bin files, because we still cannot unpack the (stock) encrypted PAK firmware files by Sony! Can someone help to do this?

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
Hi
The only remote I have is the genuine Sony's....(RMT-TX1000 IR)
The rest of the remote seems to be OK, for example soound up/down ok, chains selection OK, virtual keyboard ok
simply On/Off seems screwed up
Strange strange !!!

Seems ridiculous but try this elaborate version (1 min instead of 3 sec) of Sony's solution (mirror):
Batteries out, hold PWR (or malfunctioning button(s)) for 1 minute, then deep press all buttons, shake and nudge etc and then batteries back.
Or check other numerous YouTube movies with solutions (inc cleanings etc)!

zorglub!

Jun 26, 2010
Paris
you're right...seems ridiculous...but after having done that, my remote is resurected !!!
I'll have to change my vision of electronics !!!
you're great...Thks

dabyd64

Jan 14, 2012
A Coruna
Fastboot?
I got my tv in fastboot, although it freezes or reboots on some of the well known fastboot switches/commands.
And we do have some of the ready to flash images now I guess. Just be ware to NOT flash images that contain tv specific info (like DRM/keys/serial etc)!

Or else, we may be able to use (MediaTek) (SmartPhone) SP Flash Tool (mirror 1 / mirror 2) which btw is the equivalent of Qualcomm's EDL (Emergency Download Mode) / Qualcomm HS-USB QD-Loader 9008 using Sahara and Firehose protocols.
I did not dare yet to try and fire this up, but should be possible, as we have an MTK chipset.
Just too bad we need someone elses ripped bin files, because we still cannot unpack the (stock) encrypted PAK firmware files by Sony! Can someone help to do this?
Huh... I don't think it'll be easy.
These images come from people whio already had issues.
The system partition from W807C dump is broken, doesn't boot at all.
My partition was 72% recovered, yet it works fine ( I guess I was lucky).
I have another dump from a asian 43W800C, the system partition works, it's a pretty old version (v417), but the help screen reports v457, and it won't update (Already updated message).
Probably there's a lot more going on.all that is stored in other delicate areas, now I have a safe working backup I'll be trying few things.
What's strange is nobody did anything on these TVs in all these years.

I tried rooting by manually patching the boot image with Magisk, the TV seems ok with that, but magisk app detects nothing.

Last edited:

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
Huh... I don't think it'll be easy.
These images come from people whio already had issues.
The system partition from W807C dump is broken, doesn't boot at all.
My partition was 72% recovered, yet it works fine ( I guess I was lucky).
I have another dump from a asian 43W800C, the system partition works, it's a pretty old version (v417), but the help screen reports v457, and it won't update (Already updated message).
Probably there's a lot more going on.all that is stored in other delicate areas, now I have a safe working backup I'll be trying few things.
What's strange is nobody did anything on these TVs in all these years.

I tried rooting by manually patching the boot image with Magisk, the TV seems ok with that, but magisk app detects nothing.

Yeah its insane, especially because of the dozens of wide open security holes there must be. Even apps like King(o)Root etc can root the machine. Its so old, and has so many open ports, apps, services, etc.
However I am happy we renewed the search, and I think you are giving it a lot of positive input already. Lets keep it going!

dabyd64

Jan 14, 2012
A Coruna
I've tried everything, nothing changed the build version and model in Help menu.
I could swap almost every partition, only doing so with the eeprom partition completely killed the TV.
The SN can be seen in th eeeprom, but not the SW version.
Tried editing the serial, but did nothing, so maybe it's also compressed/encrypted, there's a lot of random data in the eeprom.
Tried unpacking system (squashfs), modifying build.prop to allow root adb, got system bootloop.
This process is extremely slow and I really don't have the knowledge in Android/Linux security stuff.
I put everything together and bought a Chromecast with Google TV, the image quality is far better probably due the VP9 codec, which is not supported by 2015 Bravia.
Much better inprovement in speed and features. The TV will be just a TV from now, with the Chromecast doing the Android TV stuff.

Last edited:

hackwerk

Jan 7, 2010
Amsterdam
I've tried everything, nothing changed the build version and model in Help menu.
I could swap almost every partition, only doing so with the eeprom partition completely killed the TV.
The SN can be seen in th eeeprom, but not the SW version.
Tried editing the serial, but did nothing, so maybe it's also compressed/encrypted, there's a lot of random data in the eeprom.
Tried unpacking system (squashfs), modifying build.prop to allow root adb, got system bootloop.
This process is extremely slow and I really don't have the knowledge in Android/Linux security stuff.
I put everything together and bought a Chromecast with Google TV, the image quality is far better probably due the VP9 codec, which is not supported by 2015 Bravia.
Much better inprovement in speed and features. The TV will be just a TV from now, with the Chromecast doing the Android TV stuff.
3 features I would love anyways would be:
1) Install an adblocker like my fav AdAway (although you could also use a YouTube No Ads app like Vanced (GitHub) etc.);
2) Run (root) background tasks or scripts without having a laptop or Rapberry Pi running;
3) Downgrade (or superupgrade to another/illegal zone with more/newer features) ( y )our ATV.

dabyd64

Jan 14, 2012
A Coruna
For YT, use SmartTubeNext. Works great, been using it for years.
Also, for a much cleaner launcher, install Leanback on Fire, then disable the stock one (adb shell pm disable com.google.android.leanbacklauncher).
The other usual apps are Kodi and Dixmax , the site is in spanish but most content is also available in english. Be careful if your ISP monitors your downloads...

Last edited:
Reactions: hackwerk

coolek33

Jul 15, 2012
Zadupie
Huawei P30
Asus Zenfone 9
Hi. I'm attempting to flash my x900h via fastboot. Getvar all says the bootloader is unlocked. Don't know how but it is. I want to try to downgrade it from android 10 to 9. Don't know it's a good idea. I've extracted flash images from payload.bin. I've attached the photo of what I've got. I don't know exact flash order. Maybe someone can help me with flash order and commands?

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_115726_edit_157027275580205.jpg
    IMG_20220126_115726_edit_157027275580205.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thx in advance.

Tried to debloat but command prompt said my device refused (or denied) connection... so no usb debugging prompt on tv.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

First you need to enable ADB on your TV and allow your PC to connect (YOUTUBE HOW TO).
    Second you need to connect to your TV via your PC by using adb. (Minimal ADB package)
    Then use adb connect IP_OF_YOUR_TV and verify with adb devices (should list 1 device) (Search google "adb how to connect to device")

So if you want to remove a package from your tv, you put both commands into the text file, like this.

adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 HERE_COMES_THE_PACKAGE_NAME
    adb uninstall HERE_COMES_THE_PACKAGE_NAME

You can put all the commands of packages you want to remove into a text editor and save it as a windows batch script (google it). Then put it into the directiy with adb.exe and run it after you connected adb to your device. That way it will remove all the packages you listed in the file one by one.

If a package doesn't exisit on your TV, it won't hurt anything. Also all packages will be restored on factory reset of your tv.

List of packages that you might want to remove for better performance of your TV.

PACKAGE LIST
    ------------------

:: Japanese Keyboard
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.inputmethod.japanese
    adb uninstall com.google.android.inputmethod.japanese

:: Google Play Games
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.play.games
    adb uninstall com.google.android.play.games

:: Sony recommendations row in launcher + row with list of available inputs (HDMI1, HDMI2 etc.)
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.sonyshelf
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.sonyshelf

:: Sony select video
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.sonyselect
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.sonyselect

:: Something todo with the recommendations row
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.bravialifehack
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.bravialifehack

:: Netflix manager, this shows Netflix in the "Discover" menu, Netflix button on remote
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.netflixmanager
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.netflixmanager

:: Sony network recommendation that can be shows in the first launcher row
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.networkrecommendation
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.networkrecommendation

:: Sony Samba
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 tv.samba.ssm
    adb uninstall tv.samba.ssm

:: Hotel crap
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotellanguage
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotellanguage

:: More hotel crap
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotelmenu
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotelmenu

:: Sony Photo Sharing Plus
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.photosharingplus
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.photosharingplus

:: Preinstalled Racing game
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.gameloft.android.HEP.GloftANHP
    adb uninstall com.gameloft.android.HEP.GloftANHP

:: Internet browser
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.opera.sdk.example
    adb uninstall com.opera.sdk.example

:: Internet browser stuff
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.browser.ceb
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.browser.ceb
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.browser.webappruntime
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.browser.webappruntime
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.browser.webappservice
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.browser.webappservice
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.browser.webappinstaller
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.browser.webappinstaller

:: Stuff for google calendar
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
    adb uninstall com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.providers.calendar
    adb uninstall com.android.providers.calendar

:: Stuff for google contacts
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.providers.contacts
    adb uninstall com.android.providers.contacts
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
    adb uninstall com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts

:: Playstation video
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.snei.video.hhvu
    adb uninstall com.sony.snei.video.hhvu

:: Sony account manager
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.snei.np.android.account
    adb uninstall com.sony.snei.np.android.account

:: Sony demo mode
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.demomode
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.demomode

:: Sony PSV (Playstation something..)
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s501.psv
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s501.psv

:: Printer spooler from google
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.printspooler
    adb uninstall com.android.printspooler

:: Resposible for syncing contacts calendar etc.
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.partnersetup
    adb uninstall com.google.android.partnersetup

:: google movies app
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos
    adb uninstall com.google.android.videos

:: Sony keyboard
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.ime.chww
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.ime.chww

:: More recommendations bloatware that can show in the first launcher row
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.woprecommendation
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.woprecommendation
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.irbrecommendation
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.irbrecommendation
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.watchtvrecommendation
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.watchtvrecommendation

:: Google Talk Back thingy (Can be enabled in settings)
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.marvin.talkback
    adb uninstall com.google.android.marvin.talkback

:: Google user dictionary
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.providers.userdictionary
    adb uninstall com.android.providers.userdictionary

:: Forgot what this was, will update later
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.search.s101.tvprograms.vt
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.search.s101.tvprograms.vt

:: Stuff for satelite TV, if you use satelite tv then don't remove this
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.prefsat
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.prefsat
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.gensat
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.gensat

:: CAM but I don't know for what CAM stands, it is available allover the inputs menu etc.
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.cam
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.tvx.search.s101.tvprograms.cam

:: alexa control
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.smarthomesettings
    adb uninstall com.sony.dtv.smarthomesettings
    I've had my XBR55X850C for about a week now and thought I'd share some tips/info.

Updating the TV

First thing you should do is update your TV. There were 2 types of updates available for me and I believe I did these in the wrong order and this caused my Netflix app to disappear (instructions to fix this down below). There was a Sony update and there was an Android update. I installed the Android update first, then the Sony update (which took forever). I think I should have done this in the opposite order and would have probably only needed the Sony update. To install the Sony update, you will see an app with a green icon called "Sony Select". Choose this and you should be prompted with a message saying that an update is required. Follow these steps to update your TV (takes about an hour). Once this is done, check in Settings to see if there is also an Android update available and install that as well. Once that is done, below are some tips I'm providing based on my user experience to get the most out of your TV.

Playing Video Files Over Your Local Network

I'm a cord-cutter and as such I watch files off my network frequently. I don't prefer using DNLA servers like Plex because there's really no need to have everything transcoded from your media server to your Android TV device since my Android TV has enough processing power to handle playing my video files over my network. The simple solution here was to go to the Play Store using my browser from my computer and install ES File Explorer and MX Player Pro to my Sony Bravia. Now I can browse my local network with ES File Explorer, find the video I want to watch and open the video with MX Player Pro.

MX Player [Pro]

Regarding MX Player, one big tip I can give you is to make sure you have the codecs installed for proper audio output. Got mine here: http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254

Another helpful MX Player Pro tip is to use HW+ for video and SW for audio. Using HW+ for audio causes laggy, out-of-sync audio and anything other than HW+ for video causes stuttering, at least with this TV it does. Fortunately in MX Player settings, you can set HW+ default for video and SW default for audio. So far this combination works flawlessly for MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.

Installing APKs

Once you have ES File Explorer installed, you can also browse a network share and install APKs directly from the network share. Works great!

Fixing Missing Netflix App After Update

If after updating everything, you lose your Netflix app like I did, the solution was simple, but requires ES File Explorer to be installed. Using ES File Explorer, I navigated to /system/app/ and launched the netflix-ninja-release.apk file to reinstall Netflix.

Restarting Android / ADB

Occasionally I felt the need to restart Android to resolve some issues I encountered from messing around with things. However, the only "official" way to do this is to unplug my TV which seems a bit archaic. Currently, without root, the only other way I've found was to enable developer options and use ADB wirelessly to reboot Android. To do this, just like on your Android phone, tap on the build number repeatedly until it says developer options unlocked. Then I had to restart my TV by unplugging for 10 seconds and plugging back in to get the Developer Options to show up in Settings. In there I enabled the ADB features.

Next you connect to your TV using ADB wirelessly by issuing the following command: adb connect {ip of your tv}

Then you can restart the TV by issuing: adb reboot

You can ADB into your TV using a terminal app from your Android phone as well, so a computer is not necessary.

EDIT: Just discovered that I can restart Android on my TV by pressing and holding the power button on the remote control for about 10 seconds. Don't need ADB any more.

Control PS4 (or PS3 Slim) with Your TV Remote

Lastly, you can set up Bravia Sync with your PS4 (and/or PS3 Slim, PS3 Phat doesn't have HDMI-CEC) to control the UI of your console using your TV remote. This is very nice for Blu-Ray playback. Just hook up your console to an HDMI port and turn it on. Next, on your TV go to Settings -> External Inputs -> Bravia Sync Settings. Turn on Bravia Sync Control. Next, go to "Bravia Sync device list". You should see your devices listed. Press the "Enable" button. That's it. Now when you select the input for your PS4 (and/or PS3 Slim), it will automatically turn your console on and the console can be controlled using your TV remote. It also works the other way around. You can press the Playstation button on your controller and this will turn the TV on and automatically switch it to the correct input for the console.

Just thought I'd share some helpful tips and save someone else some time in getting the most out of this awesome TV. Hope this helps others out there.
    I pulled the build.prop from my XBR55X850C. See attatched.

Some tips besides what I've already posted before.

Get Rid of the "Featured Apps" Section
    1. Go to Settings -> Apps
    2. Look for an app called "Sony Shelf"
    3. Force Close it
    4. Set Notifications to "Off"

Get Rid of the "Sony Select" App and its Recommendations
    • Go to Settings -> Apps
    • Look for an app called "Sony Select"
    • Force Close it
    • Set Notifications to "Off"

This will take effect immediately upon returning to the home screen/launcher. This gets rid of (or hides) that unnecessary row of Featured Apps or at least prevents it from showing up on the home screen/launcher. Many of these apps listed in this row weren't even installed on my TV and when I launched some of them, I would just see a blank screen. This also prevents anything from showing up from the Sony Select app. Like the Featured Apps row, this app is useless as it showed many services that I never used or that didn't even work or it just showed apps that I can simply launch from the launcher. Now your home screen/launcher looks just like stock Android TV as Google meant it to be (bloat removed/hidden).
    OK, you need to explain this. :) Did you swap boards in your device, or swap SOCs, or ?

What root process, and do you have pics that illustrate root working on the TV?

Very cool.

As you can see, this tv has no panel (screen) at all.
    Its just the boards that's needed to be able to work.
    The psu is not original. Its just a generic laptop 19v 90w charger.
    The tv boots up, I can connect to it whit adb and hacking. ;)
    Full nand dump and steps to achieve root to be released. :cool:
    Solution non-starting KDL-W756C

OK, my box had simply failed to initialise past a white screen with a blue wave asking for langaage select. Sony Support just wasn't!

Software updates only load on the machine if they are later dated than the one installed. I'm in the UK and found a later one on the Dutch Sony site and loaded that from USB. but it FAILED to coorrect my problem. The machine got stuck initializing. I suspected a bad cache or corrupt userdata. Previously I'd noticed some apps refused to start.

So here's what you need.
    Even before you thought your box might fail you should have gone to Settings - About and clicked on Build seven times to become a developer. Now find the new Developer menu in Settings and choose Debugging. Set ADB debugging on. This is important. It will give access to your box if it needs a proper clearout.
    with that done, follow the rest if and when you need to...
    Code:
    adb connect "IP of your box"
    in my case on my network 'adb connect 192.168.1.19'
    then
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    the machine restarts. Adb doesn't release, so in the console window type 'ctrl C'.
    Now connect a USB DATA cable - male each end (full four wires; its important) from your laptop to the TV.

EDIT: The cable I used was from old equipment and appears, after testing to be Data+ to Data+ , and Data- to Data- i.e NOT a normal USB Data cable.

Now enter...
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    and you should see a set of numbers and fastboot ... somthing like this...
    "8000ac9b8a0bbc9f fastboot" confirming that you are connected OK.

Now from the console enter
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    the machine response is something like this:-
    erasing 'userdata'...
    OKAY [ 0.043s]
    formatting 'userdata' partition...
    Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
    File system type not supported.
    OKAY [ 0.732s]
    erasing 'cache'...
    OKAY [ 0.041s]
    formatting 'cache' partition...
    Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
    File system type not supported.
    OKAY [ 0.732s]
    finished. total time: 1.548s

Now here you might be quite worried (I was!!) as the cache and userdata hasn't been formated but continue..
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Don't worry the machine seems to take forever. The Sony logo comes up. The machine reboots the sony logo appears again. Eventually you'll see the boot process with the coloured balls and all. Proceed as for a new install.

Why couldn't Sony tell me that?