General Sony MUST Read (Xperia 1 III and GP-VPT2BT)

Search This thread

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
Hello readers!

I am an owner of a Sony Xperia 1 III. Recently I purchased one Sony Bluetooth Shooting Grip GP-VPT2BT and I realized that I can NOT use it with the video app on my phone. Interestingly enough, such a device is fully compatible with the Xperia Pro-I and can be paired in Video Pro app\Settings\Maintenance\Bluetooth Remote Control. The Sony Cinema Pro app (the stock app for the video that came with Xperia 1 III) lacks the Maintenance section under the Settings, therefore it cannot be paired.

Sony, would you be so kind to issue an update for the Sony Cinema Pro app, the Xperia 1 III version, and add the Maintenance and Remote Control options? We (the Xperia 1 III owners) spent so much money on the phone and on the grip and I don't see why you don't let us use them together for the stock video app.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: decomposed

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hello readers!

I am an owner of a Sony Xperia 1 III. Recently I purchased one Sony Bluetooth Shooting Grip GP-VPT2BT and I realized that I can NOT use it with my phone. Interestingly enough, such a device is fully compatible with the Xperia Pro-I and can be paired in Video Pro app\Settings\Maintenance\Bluetooth Remote Control. Although my phone has the Sony Video Pro app, my app lacks the Maintenance section under the Settings.

Sony, would you be so kind to issue an update for the Sony Video Pro app, the Xperia 1 III version, and add the Maintenance and Remote Control options? We (the Xperia 1 III owners) spent so much money on the phone and on the grip and I don't see why you don't let us use them together (it is not like we are trying to pair a Samsung grip to a Sony phone... both items are your brand!). Why discriminate between a model's users and another model's users? Aren't we all part of the big Sony family?

Thank you!

I have Video Pro in my Xperia 1 III. The Maintenance section with the Bluetooth Remote Control is there right at the bottom of the menu. I don't have a Bluetooth remote or the shooting grip to test it, but I can assure you that section is available and useable. Are you sure you have the latest version of Video Pro?

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
Hi Shinku. Thank you for your input. The last thing in the menu of my Cinema Pro app is "Accessibility" and "Tips" before that. I don't have "Maintenance". My app' s version is 1.5.1.A.0.7. Do you know how to update the app?
Thank you!

Evil_Sephiroth

Nov 4, 2010
Italy
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hello readers!

I am an owner of a Sony Xperia 1 III. Recently I purchased one Sony Bluetooth Shooting Grip GP-VPT2BT and I realized that I can NOT use it with my phone. Interestingly enough, such a device is fully compatible with the Xperia Pro-I and can be paired in Video Pro app\Settings\Maintenance\Bluetooth Remote Control. Although my phone has the Sony Video Pro app, my app lacks the Maintenance section under the Settings.

Sony, would you be so kind to issue an update for the Sony Video Pro app, the Xperia 1 III version, and add the Maintenance and Remote Control options? We (the Xperia 1 III owners) spent so much money on the phone and on the grip and I don't see why you don't let us use them together (it is not like we are trying to pair a Samsung grip to a Sony phone... both items are your brand!). Why discriminate between a model's users and another model's users? Aren't we all part of the big Sony family?

Thank you!

I know, it's really a bad thing BUT...sony support site for that grip show no compatibility, even with the PRO-I. It work? Good, but you forgot to search for info before buying it.
Unsupported things could work but obviously if not working you are done.

It's intended (and reported on official site) only for compact camera, mirrorless and other "real" camera

Reactions: steso90

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hi Shinku. Thank you for your input. The last thing in the menu of my Cinema Pro app is "Accessibility" and "Tips" before that. I don't have "Maintenance". My app' s version is 1.5.1.A.0.7. Do you know how to update the app?
Thank you!
I believe you mistaken the Cinema Pro app for the Videography Pro app. Based on your version, you are using the Cinema Pro app. For reference, my Cinema Pro app is version 1.5.1.A.0.9. It does not have the Bluetooth Remote Control option. I don't see it on my Cinema Pro app.

The option is available on the Videography Pro app (That's the official full name) and is only officially available on the Xperia Pro-I. However, you can grab the Videography Pro apk from APKMirror and install it onto the Xperia 1 III. Note that some functions may not work and that it maybe a little buggy as it was not designed to work on the Xperia 1 III. But overall it is useable. Latest version as of this post is 1.0.1.A.0.18

Heres a link:

I know, it's really a bad thing BUT...sony support site for that grip show no compatibility, even with the PRO-I. It work? Good, but you forgot to search for info before buying it.

It's intended (and reported on official site) only for compact camera, mirrorless and other "real" camera
There is an official guide by Sony on the Xperia Pro-I support page.

Found another article that specifically says:
Note: GP-VPT2BT and RMT-P1BT can be used with this Xperia phone. Please also check the instruction manual of the compatible device.

Last edited:

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
I believe you mistaken the Cinema Pro app for the Videography Pro app. Based on your version, you are using the Cinema Pro app. For reference, my Cinema Pro app is version 1.5.1.A.0.9. It does not have the Bluetooth Remote Control option. I don't see it on my Cinema Pro app.

The option is available on the Videography Pro app (That's the official full name) and is only officially available on the Xperia Pro-I. However, you can grab the Videography Pro apk from APKMirror and install it onto the Xperia 1 III. Note that some functions may not work and that it maybe a little buggy as it was not designed to work on the Xperia 1 III. But overall it is useable. Latest version as of this post is 1.0.1.A.0.18

Heres a link:

There is an official guide by Sony on the Xperia Pro-I support page.

Found another article that specifically says:

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
With the IGP-VPT2BT, I use Videography Pro - as it is the only app that has the bluetooth remote, but, somtimes is buggy...

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
check back the link above every now and then for updates to the Videography Pro app.
with the latest update (May 1st) I feel it is more stable in the Xperia 1 III.
Still I wish it is made an official app instead. Maybe when the Xperia 1 IV comes out, that version will work better since the 1 III is more similar to the 1 IV than the Pro-I

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
And you both are using the VLOG monitor and holder? Or what kind of Smartphone holder you are using with the VPT2BT?
I just noticed this sorry. If you are referring to me, I am not using any bluetooth remote or vlog kit/monitor. I am just talking about my own experience of using the videography app by itself. As I quote myself in post no #2:

I don't have a Bluetooth remote or the shooting grip to test it, but I can assure you that section is available and useable.
When I mean useable I mean I can access the section, its not missing or greyed out or untapable, and I can toggle the Bluetooth remote option on and off. As also mentioned, I can't test it as i lack access to any bluetooth remote. This means while I can toggle it on and off , I can't verify if toggling the switch does anything on my end. He has to test that himself.

Please read the previous posts in a thread properly before making a reply. Don't be lazy so that you can avoid simple mistakes like this.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
With the latest update, 1.1.A.0.22 which some say is from the new Xperia 1 IV, we can now access both telephoto lenses on the 1 III. My speculation came true. Now all thats left is a proper version for our 1 III.

oldversion.png
old vs new
newversion.png

Reactions: SirRobin78

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
Yes, that's correct! I noticed that, as well. Pretty stable, so far. Yes, a dedicated I III would be more assuring...However, I still await for an upgrade on CinemaPro to provide us with a bluetooth conectivity (remote option).

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
For those looking to try the Vlog Monitor, I suggest to not do it. I do not have one with me so I can't test it, but from reddit, there is a person trying it out and it is not working for him.

I'm guessing that the Vlog Monitor is using UVC or USB video device class to communicate with the phone, not HDMI/Display port. Meaning a phone wanting to display an image to the Vlog Monitor must support UVC output via its usb c port. This is the same protocol that webcams use to communicate with Computers. While the 1 III can output video via USB C to HDMI for example, it is possible that UVC output capability was only added when they came up with the Pro-I, and was subsequently added to the 1 IV. Therefore unless Sony decides to add the feature via an update to the 1 III, we may never see it work unless someone else adds it, maybe using a custom rom or rooting/magisk.

As for those wondering how I came up with this it is pretty simple. Remember how Sony advertised the 1 III can be used as an additional monitor for some of their cameras. Those cameras needed to support UVC output as well. They output an image via UVC to the External Monitor app on the 1 III. If you try to connect your phone to a computer let's say, via hdmi or display port, it doesn't work, you can't use your phone as an external monitor this way.

As mentioned i'm merely guessing, and it maybe possible that Sony is just being an ass and whitelisting only two phones it detects to work with the Vlog Monitor.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello readers!

I am an owner of a Sony Xperia 1 III. Recently I purchased one Sony Bluetooth Shooting Grip GP-VPT2BT and I realized that I can NOT use it with the video app on my phone. Interestingly enough, such a device is fully compatible with the Xperia Pro-I and can be paired in Video Pro app\Settings\Maintenance\Bluetooth Remote Control. The Sony Cinema Pro app (the stock app for the video that came with Xperia 1 III) lacks the Maintenance section under the Settings, therefore it cannot be paired.

Sony, would you be so kind to issue an update for the Sony Cinema Pro app, the Xperia 1 III version, and add the Maintenance and Remote Control options? We (the Xperia 1 III owners) spent so much money on the phone and on the grip and I don't see why you don't let us use them together for the stock video app.

Thank you!

Hello readers!

Thank you!

With the latest update, 1.1.A.0.22 which some say is from the new Xperia 1 IV, we can now access both telephoto lenses on the 1 III. My speculation came true. Now all thats left is a proper version for our 1 III.

oldversion.png
    old vs new
    newversion.png