Sony Tablet S has been successfully rooted

Search This thread

djrbliss

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2011
Hi XDA,

I have successfully rooted the Sony Tablet S. I will be publishing detailed instructions in the next few hours. Please be patient, I promise they will be online soon.

A few words of warning. I'm not going to have time to automate this root process into a one-click script, or provide technical support. I'll be sure to provide enough details so that root can be achieved by others, and hopefully someone else will step up and automate the process for those who aren't comfortable with ADB.

Another downside is there is a very real chance that exploiting this bug requires wiping the /data partition of the device. On the device I successfully rooted, /data remained intact, but this may not always be the case. Of course you can back up your apps, contacts, etc. beforehand and restore them after the root is complete.

Stay tuned for an update with the full instructions.

Regards,
Dan

Details have been posted here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=22309495#post22309495

Last edited:

obicom

Nov 9, 2010
Cologne
These are very good news ... congratulations !!! Good job !!

I am locking forward for your detailed instructions.
Please let us participate ASOP ...

Do you have a piece of advice how I can backup my datas perfectly without TitaniumBackup?

Last edited:

ejchis

Jun 29, 2010
Wooo! Great news!

An awesome device just got infinitely better. I'm anxiously awaiting your instructions.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

whiterider13

Jan 15, 2011
Sugar Hill, GA
Hi XDA,

I have successfully rooted the Sony Tablet S. I will be publishing detailed instructions in the next few hours. Please be patient, I promise they will be online soon.

A few words of warning. I'm not going to have time to automate this root process into a one-click script, or provide technical support. I'll be sure to provide enough details so that root can be achieved by others, and hopefully someone else will step up and automate the process for those who aren't comfortable with ADB.

Another downside is there is a very real chance that exploiting this bug requires wiping the /data partition of the device. On the device I successfully rooted, /data remained intact, but this may not always be the case. Of course you can back up your apps, contacts, etc. beforehand and restore them after the root is complete.

Regards,
Dan

You, my friend, just might be awesome. I, like many others, am eagerly awaiting your information. Thanks in advance for your hard work.

*Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive!*

Reactions: condi

condi

Feb 13, 2007
great news !!! :) at last..
now we need to customize and make clockworkmod recovery for sony tab s.,
and gain more and more good devs, more and more new firmwares etc :) !

br
condi

Silvist

Dec 23, 2010
Heyo everyone,

Awesome job djrbliss! I just picked up this tab a couple days ago, but was thinking of returning it when I found a lack of root. I'm glad I was lucky enough to see this turn around. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Last edited:

grcd

Dec 29, 2009
That's excellent! just as I was about to sell my Tablet S, finally a saviour on a white horse (so to speak!) has appeared!

I will keep my word for the donation. Once you post the details and they have been verified, I will be giving you my promised part of the donation, and I will actually double it (it's not a big amount, so don't get ultra happy, but anyway!!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi XDA,

Regards,
    Dan

Details have been posted here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=22309495#post22309495
    Hi XDA,

Regards,
    Dan

You, my friend, just might be awesome. I, like many others, am eagerly awaiting your information. Thanks in advance for your hard work.

*Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive!*
    I wanted to let everybody know that I'll be posting the detailed instructions tomorrow morning. Sorry to keep you waiting.
    Just one question, what's the best way to take back-up of installed apps & games before going for ROOT?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone