Sony wouldn't repair their yellow tints, even this is FACTORY DEFECT

Search This thread

shvyue

Nov 21, 2008
Send my Xperia S in at the end of June for the yellow tints problem. Waited two weeks and Sony replied that they wouldn't repair the phone because of "illegal unlock"?? The phone is factory unlocked. Tried to discuss this issue on http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/34135, and 1 day later my account with sonymobile was suspended. Just feel so disappointed with Sony's customer service.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 855

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
Have you unlocked your bootloader or sent it in rooted or something like that?

If that's the case, it's normal that they didn't touch it as you lost your warranty if you unlocked your bootloader. If you rooted it, you should have restored it before sending, because technically, rooting voids your warrantytoo.

Maybe you bought it used and the previous owner unlocked the bootloader and didn't tell you?

kensama

Feb 20, 2011
Send my Xperia S in at the end of June for the yellow tints problem. Waited two weeks and Sony replied that they wouldn't repair the phone because of "illegal unlock"?? The phone is factory unlocked. Tried to discuss this issue on talk.sonymobile.com/thread/34135, and 1 day later my account with sonymobile was suspended. Just feel so disappointed with Sony's customer service.

Had got the same problem with yellow tints, but my phone wasn't unlocked and has been repaired by Sony in two weeks.
If you had unlocked your phone even with the Sony method it's indicate that warranty is avoid in this case.

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
Interesting...with an unlocked bootloader it still shouldn't have been an issue. Your warranty is in theory still intact, just with CPU modifications and such afterwords that can void it (overclocking and such with custom kernels). In the terms it just says "may" so they avoid liability if you break it yourself. It appears in this case (and the other one posted above) they decided to throw that out the window and just say "meh, sorry, today, because it's cold and didn't sleep well, its your fault."

You didn't by any chance have Doom's kernel on when you sent it in?

It's almost like every center changes their interpretation of a voided warranty depending on the weather or if they just feel like it :p.

I wouldn't associate your account being blocked as Sony's fault though, as you picked a username that appears to be picked by bashing your head on the keyboard :p. It was probably what they thought was a spam account?

Last edited:

skip0pot2mus

Jun 13, 2012
If you formatted the device then reflashed it with a stock GB firmware would anyone be able to tell that it had been unlocked ever?

Lord Takyon

Jul 26, 2010
Had got the same problem with yellow tints, but my phone wasn't unlocked and has been repaired by Sony in two weeks.
If you had unlocked your phone even with the Sony method it's indicate that warranty is avoid in this case.

Sony really need to sort themselves out, been going backwards and forwards for weeks. Latest issue is they are now claiming I purchased my phone in another country, it was supplied by my carrier.

Been a Sony fan since x10, but they are getting worse with cs. The phones are better, but they really need to train their staff.

My phone is not foreign, how the hell would they know in the first place? They've never seen the phone and I have never been asked for an imei number.

This is a joke now.

Sent from my XperiaS via transwarp conduit.

skip0pot2mus

Jun 13, 2012
I wouldn't associate your account being blocked as Sony's fault though, as you picked a username that appears to be picked by bashing your head on the keyboard :p. It was probably what they thought was a spam account?

This guy:

profile-image-display.jspa

"nolramlb" hasn't been banned, his name is terrible, and he's made over 1200 posts in ONE MONTH, now that's some spam!

Rageypeep

Feb 21, 2011
Exeter
We over in the HTC forums have the same prob, unlock the bootloader then you lose all warranty on your phone. We have faulty WiFi antenna on the One X, the contacts don't connect the antenna correctly, HTC say that if you unlocked your bootloader you can't get the antenna fixed, no one can say how unlocking a bootloader and WiFi antenna can be connected in any way, but HTC are being dogs about it. As for the yellow tints, they are a common problem across the bord, it's only the glue sticking the screen and the glass, play some games, give your phone a good use to heat it up and you will find that,the yellow tints go after a week or so :)

It's odd to see that it seems all/most mobile manufactures some what lack customer service. :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

nickholtus

Aug 26, 2011
hi all,

To get it repaired by sony:

so bootloader relocking thread
relock bootloader
and send it back to sony (i did it with my play and they repaired the screen)

shvyue

Nov 21, 2008
Interesting...with an unlocked bootloader it still shouldn't have been an issue. Your warranty is in theory still intact, just with CPU modifications and such afterwords that can void it (overclocking and such with custom kernels). In the terms it just says "may" so they avoid liability if you break it yourself. It appears in this case (and the other one posted above) they decided to throw that out the window and just say "meh, sorry, today, because it's cold and didn't sleep well, its your fault."

You didn't by any chance have Doom's kernel on when you sent it in?

It's almost like every center changes their interpretation of a voided warranty depending on the weather or if they just feel like it :p.

haha, that's interesting. I got that username because they said my normally used one has been taken. I've never done any CPU overclocking/mod, or never had any customer kernel installed. I don't know their "illegal unlock" means network unlock or software unlock. The phone was sent back to the repair centre with original GB software.

shvyue

Nov 21, 2008
Here is the feedback from Sony UK's repair center, if this can help. I can guarantee the phone is working properly with photo evidence. I don't know why see put Display broken rather than "yellow tints".etc. Now the phone sounds totally dead at the Sony repair center.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 366

skip0pot2mus

Jun 13, 2012
Perhaps they tested it for so long it's run out of battery! :)

I'd be complaining like hell right now to Sony Customer Services!!

sminki

Feb 18, 2012
hard shoulders of reality
Here is the feedback from Sony UK's repair center, if this can help. I can guarantee the phone is working properly with photo evidence. I don't know why see put Display broken rather than "yellow tints".etc. Now the phone sounds totally dead at the Sony repair center.

exactly what i had with them, don't worry, it's not BER at all, there's probably not an option on their system for "owner unlocked bootloader and voided warranty" ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh dear,

well...It's a bit annoying that they can kind of...bend their policy when they feel like it (your UK service doesn't do it, when a lot of other centers are either too dumb/don't care).

I must admit though, that's an amazing excuse for rejecting your device. Amazing how an official method provided by Sony can lead to your device having screen problems, lol, it's like they don't read anything from the central operations....

They attribute the problem to bad batches and such but they are free to make up whatever excuse they like and ignore a confirmed issue whenever they feel like :/..and manage to blame the customer for the issues. You can write a novel about this crap, I swear :/
    One more thing is that the imei code is 15 digits long, but the one we used to ask for the unlock code is 14 digits only! So that doesn't mean our phone askes for the unlock code as the imei didn't match! m i rite?

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

The last digit on IMEI is not relevant for unlocking code. The rest of the IMEI match, and there are NO PHONE with that same 14 digit number on it.

U r not rite.

I have a Xperia S with defective microphone and yellow spot problem. I have sent it for RMA, but got it unrepaired back! And I had to pay 85 euro's!..
    Reason: 'modified software'. I have sent the phone with fully working stock firmware, not rooted. I had an unlocked bootloader though.

I contacted the repair center (in the Netherlands), and as far as they could tell me (they don't know much..), they told me that my warranty was lost possible because of the unlocked bootloader...

Some bullshit!

Learn't from this is that one does not simply send a phone with unlocked bootloader to a service center.

ALLWAYS lock your Bootloader

to the interested none who have been following my saga...

after receiving my "S" back from sbe-ltd.co.uk (SONY's UK repairer) for the second time in a worse condition that it went (went with yellow tint, came back with no display, broken screw and dented corner!) I made a complaint that they didn't give a **** about, here's their reply in all it's glory:

Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    "Your handset was returned unrepaired as the software it contains has been modified. Your handset was not even opened the second time, the screws were not damaged by our repair centre. This is because they were not touched the second time that it was received as the unit did not pass the first phrase of the software process. As your handset did not pass the software process; we were unable to continue the repair and your handset was not passed to any other technician. We are unable to suggest you to re-submit your unit because it has previously been declared Beyond Economic Repair. Please could you provide photographic evidence of the damage you mention below? It is possible that your flex underneath your display was affected by the failed software update which our repair centre performed but do not take responsibility for this as your unit’s software has been illegally modified."

So there you have it, "official" confirmation that unlocking your bootloader and flashing your device (by an engineer) can physically damage hardware (of course it doesn't! :p) That last line cracks me up, and it is downright embarrassing for them! Even a non technical person knows that it's complete nonsense!

Good luck with your UK repairs you unlocked guys..! (remember, that's sbe-ltd.co.uk - i'm adding it again, just for the googlebot :) )

Wow... some duchebags. Do the repair yourself the next time! Takes 5 minutes to completely disassemble the Xperia S. Believe me. its EASY! :D

Sony UK are being useless, I said before they refused to repair mine as I 'used it outside the temperature range specified' Unfortunately I don't have control of the weather conditions.

I was a Sony fan, but after this I don't know.

Sent from my XperiaS via transwarp conduit.

Sony still makes great handsets!
    Remember this:

The repair center for Sony, allso repairs other phones. It is not Sony that repairs the phones, but certified centers for GSM devices. This also includes HTC, Samsung, Sony, Moto, LG and others.

Please do not for the love of god devoke from a brand that you love and trust. Then you will regret when you must send your next phone to the service center aswell.. It´s most likely that the phone will end up at the same service partner.

Its ****.. i know. We just have to deal with it i think. :)