• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Sony Xperia 1 mrk ii [XQ-AT51] soft bricked after FW change with newflasher

Search This thread

lhvitved

Oct 10, 2020
I could really use a bit of help.

I wanted to root my phone (Nordic edition of XQ-AT51). I went to XperiFirm (5.4.0) and found the most possible fit, being Customized EU 58.0.3.132 / R14A.
I tried Flashtool64 (0.9.31.0) but it got stuck on Device connected in flashmode, and nothing happened for 10 minutes.
Went in here and found a nice guide suggesting Newflasher. successfully-flashed-customization-t4119707

Downloaded it (version 36) , following the guide for removing any .ta files, and then moved Newflasher to same dir as the downloaded firmware, ran it as administrator answered
n,n,n,y and everything went without visible error (and quite fast)

Case is, now my phone is stuck in an endless reboot loop - first it complains about the unlocked bootloader, then showing the Sony logo for a few seconds, and then restarting.

I can break it by going into Flashmode, but thats about it.

Any good suggestion on how to move forward from here ?

iArvee

Apr 23, 2014
Manila
Try reflashing again. What ta files did you remove, exactly? You should have only removed the simlock.ta, and do a full wipe (don't preserve userdata). Also, how did you unlock the bootloader beforehand? Via cmd, and did you toggle "enable oem unlock" in dev options?

lhvitved

Oct 10, 2020
Try reflashing again. What ta files did you remove, exactly? You should have only removed the simlock.ta, and do a full wipe (don't preserve userdata). Also, how did you unlock the bootloader beforehand? Via cmd, and did you toggle "enable oem unlock" in dev options?

Thank you for the feedback !

I unlocked the bootloader using fastboot (and entered the key generated by the sony webpage) - and prior to that enabled USB debugging and OEM Unlock within dev options.
Then I did what in retrospect might be the rootcause for the misery. I followed a guide for rooting the phone (the purpose of unlocking the bootloader alltogether) but failed to realize that the boot file I was after should likely match the excact SW the phone is running (which isn't available on XperiFirm) - so I used Magisk with the file to generate a patched version on the phone, and then I used fastboot to install the patched loader. Following that the phone started to complain about Corrupt Software (in a somewhat similar endless boot loop).

So - in order to get the SW on the boot on the same page, I re-downloaded the full FW to get that on the phone.
First I tried using the Flashtool (updated drivers and stuff) but as mentioned that one got stuck, I've seen other users in here getting stuck at the same, and found this guide suggesting using Newflasher, removed all .ta files, following the guide saying that was the golden nugget and went into it (all going fine, probably not the best thing in retrospect to have said yes to removing the persistent part?)

I have downloaded the firmware again, and this time only removed the simlock.ta as suggested. Loaded that, again with newflasher, including wiping the persistent part (as it'd been done before anyway), but the result is sadly the same, phone starts to complain about the unlocked bootloader (which is fine obviously) and the for a brief second shows the Sony logo before it restarts. Only options to change that pattern are the vol up or vol down following a USB to PC connection.
I could try a different software, but the available set is quite limited.
Oh, and should it be relevant somehow, to get it back to life, I do have another phone which I haven't touched with the right software.