SONY XPERIA Z IS GETTING THE Android 5.0 Lollipop

Search This thread

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Lets hope for the best. ;) Me too ready for Unlocking the bootloader but worrying about BE 2 or X Reality or Super vivid. Lets see. :(
Yes, like I said, hopefully things will change in a few months before we get the update. There are some genius level devs developing and maintaining root for Android, so I'm hopeful.

If not, I see a Nexus device in my future. The 6 is a little large for me and it will be sad to leave Sony devices behind, but the fast updates, Google and third party developer support are very very tempting. :)

Sent from my C6603

Reactions: Rajeev

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
I am also tempted, but the realisation that I will get crap AOSP camera software, and screen mirroring without sound means I will stick with Sony;)
I only take something like 5 pictures a month (my Wife takes pictures while we're out and about) and don't use screen mirroring as I have a R Pi setup as a media centre on my TV in the living room.

I'm still undecided as to what to get for my next device though. The Z has been hands down the best Android device I've had. It's still perfectly viable to continue using it over 18 months after release and will be for some time to come. In these times of constantly upgrading tech, that's saying something.

I'll see what's about (and for how much) in around Feb-March time next year. I'm in no rush just yet. ;)

Sent from my C6603

Reactions: shoey63

neoxx3m

Dec 8, 2009
Ljubuski
I only take something like 5 pictures a month (my Wife takes pictures while we're out and about) and don't use screen mirroring as I have a R Pi setup as a media centre on my TV in the living room.

I'm still undecided as to what to get for my next device though. The Z has been hands down the best Android device I've had. It's still perfectly viable to continue using it over 18 months after release and will be for some time to come. In these times of constantly upgrading tech, that's saying something.

I'll see what's about (and for how much) in around Feb-March time next year. I'm in no rush just yet. ;)

Sent from my C6603

My next device will be Z2. Z3 is almost the same device with some tweaks and new design and price between Z2 and Z3 is the main reason why I choose Z2. :good:

Reactions: doghous

doghous

Sep 17, 2010
Amsterdam
www.vwclub.gr
My next device will be Z2. Z3 is almost the same device with some tweaks and new design and price between Z2 and Z3 is the main reason why I choose Z2. :good:

I completely agree. Tbh that's what I did. My girlfriend got herself a new number with the Z2 which she gave it to me and I have her my XZ [emoji12][emoji2]
After doing some research I came to the conclusion that the XZ3 was not worth the extra money.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reactions: neoxx3m

deadDManN

Oct 28, 2014
I hope it don't limit is any more, some time I damn Google for disallow wire permission on SD card, some of my app stop working, and also I can't manage my file remotely, and many more.... I haye this policy, it against of being owner of something, you buy a hardware, you should be able to use it as you want, also how it gonna hurt security, also when still phone app and only phone app can work with our ?! Even if there is such thing these should be optional...

I even wished Sony as he did about some of its app, let us to give some desired app Admin permission, without going through root process

Any way, some time I wish to go back to 4.3 and wished never upgraded to 4.x
But time will move on and app s won't stop coming for that version, I hope they fix it on 5 instead of doing more damn things

reptile64

Aug 7, 2008
Thessaloniki
Screenshot_3.png

Reactions: vkass

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I'm happy? yes.
    But too bad we gonna get it about a year after the official release, just like every Android update =\
    Come on now, let's not be silly. :silly:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/06/19/whoa-android-4-4-4-factory-images-posted-as-build-kut84p/

4.4.4 released the 19th of June. We got it the beginning of September, well ahead of many other OEM's devices. Less than 3 months to bring up, produce, test, certify and release. Great going by Sony.

They could promise to support this device for the next 5 years and some people would still be negative.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    "We’re bringing Android 5.0; Lollipop to the entire Xperia Z Series " SAID SONY today :D !!!

"You’ve probably seen Google unveil Android version 5.0; Lollipop…

Since the initial reveal of the Android “L” Developer Preview, we’ve seen lots of questions on our upgrade roadmap about our plans – so, here goes…

We’ll be making Sony Mobile’s Android “L” upgrade available for the entire premium Z series*: including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3v, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition devices will be first up – we’ll be back with more details on that soon.

We’ll start the upgrade at beginning of 2015 for the core Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 series – continuing thereafter for all remaining devices above.

We’ve been working hard to bring this major update to as many of our Z Series devices as we can, as quickly as we can. We’re really excited about the new Sony features & functionality and the improvements we’ve made to the user experience – and we’ll be sharing more soon… so stay tuned to the blog and @SonyMobileNews for all the latest and greatest.

*Software rollouts are a phased process – timings & availability will vary by market/operator. Most models supported but some operator/market exceptions will apply"
    i love you Sony :D ! they really supported this device fair enough :)) #respect for them
    http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/10/16/were-bringing-android-5-0-lollipop-to-the-entire-xperia-z-series/
    I never thought that Sony will release Android 5.0 for our devices. We already got so many updates from Sony.
    Coming from a Samsung device I never got that much updates.
    Next device will be a Sony device for sure! :)
    Those who are worrying about root in Android L just check this

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/chainfire-roots-nexus-9/ ;)
    Chainfire has been preparing for Android L for a long time, so it's no surprise he was straight on it. :)

Nexus devices are a different proposition than OEM devices though. It's easier to unlock the bootloader (no unlock code required) and doesn't affect warranty to do so, for a start.

As I understand it from reading in the various threads on SuperSU, a modified kernel is required because of changes in SELinux introduced in Android 5.0. It's all quite technical and a lot of it goes over my head, but it's to do with security policies and permissions that need altering without setting SELinux to completely permissive.

I hope there's a simple solution for our device that doesn't require flashing a modified kernel when we get the update. As it's a few months away, I'm quite hopeful. If not and the boot.img has to be altered then I'll just have to unlock my bootloader. People with non-unlockable bootloaders will be out of luck if that's the case though.

Sent from my C6603
    Those who are worrying about root in Android L just check this

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/chainfire-roots-nexus-9/ ;)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone