Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey

Search This thread

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
I've put together a Google forms survey to collect some objective breakage data: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey

Please take some time to complete the survey one time whether you've experienced a breakage or not, it's important to have a complete set of data. You will be able to view the survey results after submitting the form.

Please take the survey a 2nd time ONLY if you have previously completed it to report no damage but now have a damaged screen or back glass and wish to report it. Make sure to properly check Question 2 to indicate a re-take.

Direct link to results summary, just in case you want to check back later: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey Responses

Direct link to results spreadsheet: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey Responses (Spreadsheet)

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
I've put together a Google forms survey to collect some objective breakage data: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey

Please take some time to complete the survey one time whether you've experienced a breakage or not, it's important to have a complete set of data. You will be able to view the survey results after submitting the form.

Direct link to results summary, just in case you want to check back later: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey Responses
Just filled it in.
Though it would've been useful to include some additional questions, such as the manufacturing week and year, and the part of the serial number that indicates the manufacturing batch.

Last edited:

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
Though it would've been useful to include some additional questions, such as the manufacturing week and year, and the part of the serial number that indicates the manufacturing batch..

Do you know the exact details on how to determine week/year/batch from S/N? I can add those questions, but I don't want to collect S/N's outright.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Do you know the exact details on how to determine week/year/batch from S/N? I can add those questions, but I don't want to collect S/N's outright.
Behind the SIM flap is a plastic information sheet that can be pulled out. The production week and year, for example, are indicated by something like "14W38" (that's what's on mine) which means that my unit was manufactured in the 38th week of 2014. I'm not sure about the serial number though. I just looked and there's no immediate "S/N" indication. However there is a big number after the "CE" sign, for me it says "CE 0682". Maybe that is the number of the production batch?

phroenix

Mar 13, 2011
My two cents

Very informative, thank you.
Just know, if you go looking for something, you can find it.
This phone is still new, so for anyone thinking of getting it, don't let the mass post on glass cracks and drm / camera conversation put you off. This phone is big in the game.
At the time of posting, its a resounding majority "No" to broken glass (small sample)

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
One day into the survey and we have 51 responses. I find the most interesting data to be that 65% do not use a screen protector and 73% do not use a case.

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
One day into the survey and we have 51 responses. I find the most interesting data to be that 65% do not use a screen protector and 73% do not use a case.

Confirmed! Sony Xperia Z3C users aren't the smartest around! :silly:
What's the percentage of cracked screens?

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
What's the percentage of cracked screens?

The sample size is still small, but 6% for front glass, 9% for back glass.

There is one response where both front and back glass cracked.

In all cases no screen protector or case was in use, with the exception of one cracked back glass while using a TPU case.

There's a link to results in the OP.

It would be nice to get several hundred responses for a more accurate picture.

Iruwen

Dec 14, 2012
Percentages are pretty much useless here because naturally, mainly people with issues come and participate here in the first place. Only Sony or some kind of independent media could give a clue on those percentages.

Reactions: dispatch

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
But even then there will be a selection bias - people with glass issues are more likely to find this thread than people who are perfectly happy.

Exactly.

Edit: but even if only those with glass issues report at least that does give some idea of the number of users affected.

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
On the Sony Mobile support forum, there is a post from a person whose Z3C's glass cracked while the phone was laying on a table and playing music. Since I did notice that especially the rear glass vibrates very heavily at higher volumes, I'm wondering if those vibrations could induce cracking in some cases?

Nplus1

Mar 2, 2009
Paris
How could you think that simply the vibrations generated by the (however minuscule) speakers could crack a sheet of glass, let alone Gorilla/Dragontrail glass? Just check some stress tests to see what kind of forces these types of glass can withstand.
The same strange reports about glass cracking on its own appeared for the LG Optimus G and LG Nexus 4 right after launch and then nothing.

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
How could you think that simply the vibrations generated by the (however minuscule) speakers could crack a sheet of glass, let alone Gorilla/Dragontrail glass? Just check some stress tests to see what kind of forces these types of glass can withstand.
The same strange reports about glass cracking on its own appeared for the LG Optimus G and LG Nexus 4 right after launch and then nothing.

The rear is not Gorilla Glass nor Dragontrail.
The glass sheets in said stress test videos are usually much thicker than those used on phones.
Strong vibrations can cause a sheet of glass to crack, especially if the glass has a production fault.

Nplus1

Mar 2, 2009
Paris
The rear is not Gorilla Glass nor Dragontrail.
What kind of glass do they put on the back, then?
The glass sheets in said stress test videos are usually much thicker than those used on phones.
Strong vibrations can cause a sheet of glass to crack, especially if the glass has a production fault.
The vibrations generated by the very small speakers are not exactly what I would call "strong", much less glass-cracking strong!

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
What kind of glass do they put on the back, then?

The vibrations generated by the very small speakers are not exactly what I would call "strong", much less glass-cracking strong!

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...ss-is-on-Xperia-Z3-Compact/m-p/838791#U838791
There is no doubt that the rear uses different glass than the front, since the rear is way more prone to scratching than the front.

The vibrations at high volume are pretty strong in this phone, don't forget you've got two of those speakers. In case of (like I said) faulty glass, they may even be harmful to the glass.

gman90

Oct 11, 2014
dropped z3c on cement and.....

.....no damage. I watched my 1 day old z3c slide off a laundry pile in my basement onto the cement floor (about 5 foot drop) and no cracks or noticable damage.

However, i just took my xperia z2 out of its protective case to sell it and noticed a crack all the way across the back glass. Ive never dropped that phone and its always been in a high quality case. Im thinking the z2 may uave cracked trying to pry it out of the protective case (which fit very tight).

Just my two cents.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Please take the survey a 2nd time ONLY if you have previously completed it to report no damage but now have a damaged screen or back glass and wish to report it. Make sure to properly check Question 2 to indicate a re-take.

Direct link to results spreadsheet: Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact - Glass Survey Responses (Spreadsheet)
    Too fragile

To those of you who think you're so smart with your protective screens and cases. Some of us want a small phone because we actually want a small phone, and don't want to pad it out with protective cases. Sadly the Z3 is as small as it gets for a premium phone. However, for some absurd reason, Sony have decided to put a glass plate on the back, making it both fragile and easy to drop, which means that you have to get a protective case which completely and utterly defeats the point of having a small phone.
    Maybe someone here can justify the glass backplate instead of a grippy rubber back and sides. Because the only benefit I can see is that it looks nice to show off to your mates.
    I'm a user who likes to be able to take photos one handed while climbing, or check my facebook while skinning up a mountain, and I want a small but powerful phone that I can easily use one handed. As it is, I can either get a large powerful phone or a small under performing phone. I've been waiting and waiting for a powerful small phone. Finally I've accepted that the Z3 compact is as small as it'll ever get for a high-end phone, so I bought one. One week later the glass backplate has a hairline crack across it. It sucks. I don't know when it happened. It was in my back pocket when I went running last night, then it was on my bedside table overnight, then in my coat pocket while I cycled to work.
    Fragile things belong in a display cabinet. Items that are to be used and abused (like a MOBILE phone) should not be fragile.

If I sound annoyed, it's because I am. I waited 2 years with my HTC Desire X in the hope there would be a high-end phone that would be as small or preferably slightly smaller than that. But it never came, despite the "minis" and the "compacts". Finally I cave in, spend 400 pounds on a top-end phone and a week later it's broken.
    You never get the full picture from looking at forums when it comes to issues like this. You only see the handful of people complaining but it might only affect 0.1% of z3c sold.
    I bought my device day 1 and took it on tour for 2 weeks (musician). So it endured alot of stress, I've always had it in my pocket while playing, jumping around etc. Been to the beach with it, sight seeing, etc. It's been in a cheap case about half the time. I don't like having such a great looking device in a protective condom you know :)
    Anyway, I don't have any issues with the hardware. No scratches (screen protector on the front), no cracks. Im really happy and the device looks sturdy enough for me. At least so far, it's only been like 3 weeks so...
    Theories

First time poster, just bought my Z3C only a few days ago and this has got me worried. My batch is 14W38, made in China (like everything else these days). I don't have a case on and only a screen protector on the front.

I have a few theories -
    1. The glass is so tight fitting against the frame that when heat is applied to any part of the glass, it can't move or expand and therefore cracks.
    2. The glass itself is defective in that it is unable to radiate the heat but keeps it to one location and then cracks.
    3. The glass is uneven in its thickness during manufacture that causes it to be fragile when heat / pressure is applied to the weak spot.

It's only theories at this stage but I guess we won't know for sure unless Sony owns up to the root cause of this problem.
    After my z3 compact cracked while charging overnight I have send it to Sony Netherlands. It has been there for two weeks and it came back from repair today, and the back has been replaced under warranty. Even though a lot of people didn't believe me, I won't think Sony would replace it under warranty if it had damage from falling. This proves to me it is a production faillure.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone