Sony Xperia Z4, Z4 Tablet, Z4 Compact, Z4 Ultra: Exclusive Leak

Search This thread

jug6ernaut

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2006
San Antonio, Tx

kandelai

Apr 26, 2008
a 1080p resolution on a 4.6 display is a total waste. After ~320ppi anything else will just consume more power with no visual benefit.

I totally agree. I think the current 720p screen is beautiful, and if it means subtracting from the awesome battery life (unless battery specs change in Z4C), then it is a total waste. I think they are doing it for the higher pixel density crowd. It is the only negative potential buyers see on the phone because of the new push for higher resolution. I was even turned off initially thinking it was just another watered down compact phone, until I read the reviews in detail of how awesome the display is and all the other specs.

Reactions: BarajaVLC

King p1n

Jul 26, 2013
Ahh to get a Z3C or to wait.
I'm more interested in the new sensor for the camera
So im assuming the 801 to 810 is a huge jump.

Wonder what the battery life will be like too.
Im all for increased battery life :D

Last edited:
Reactions: kandelai

pipspeak

Apr 29, 2008
New York
It doesn't sound like a dead cert the the Z4 will be coming out in compact form. Sony does usually skip a model with the compact versions.

But the changes rumored for the regular Z4 will be awesome -- Qi charging, exposed micro USB port, no more dedicated magnetic charging port (which will make cases much simpler). That is basically my list of what could be improved on the Z3. Now if only Sony would tell us it will have Gorilla Glass on both sides :laugh:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
So I bought a brand new device day one a month ago and now the successor is announced :) it's a strange world we're living in.... :eek:

cyphomatic

Jan 12, 2013
Ahh to get a Z3C or to wait.
I'm more interested in the new sensor for the camera
So im assuming the 801 to 810 is a huge jump.

Wonder what the battery life will be like too.
Im all for increased battery life :D

Since Sony is producing flagships every 6 months, you can wait forever :) there will always follow a better one

teiglin

Jul 7, 2011
a 1080p resolution on a 4.6 display is a total waste. After ~320ppi anything else will just consume more power with no visual benefit.

That's only true if you have average eyesight and you are at least 12" away from the screen. I use my phone and can readily distinguish pixels on my z1c (and its slightly-denser-than-z3c 720p screen) in a variety of situations. There are further issues for rendering most eastern languages, where they can take advantage of >500ppi screens quite easily.

Yes, there are tradeoffs involved, including potentially less battery life, but to say there is "no visual benefit" is simply ignorant. I will welcome the sharper screen, and I know I am not the only one.

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011

That's only true if you have average eyesight and you are at least 12" away from the screen. I use my phone and can readily distinguish pixels on my z1c (and its slightly-denser-than-z3c 720p screen) in a variety of situations. There are further issues for rendering most eastern languages, where they can take advantage of >500ppi screens quite easily.

Yes, there are tradeoffs involved, including potentially less battery life, but to say there is "no visual benefit" is simply ignorant. I will welcome the sharper screen, and I know I am not the only one.

I have better-than-average eyesight (about 20-15), and I can barely distinguish individual pixels on my Z3C, and only when holding it too close to my face to actually use. I would consider anything over 300 PPI good enough, and anything over 350 PPI perfect.

The Z4C being 1080p might be a disappointment if it results in a loss of battery life, but maybe they'll improve their battery tech enough to make up for it. In any case, wireless charging will be very nice to have.

AK4TAY7BEN

Dec 16, 2012
The Z4 will be the start of yearly flagships

I keep hearing that but do you have a source?

Personally the upgrades I want to see in the upcoming Z4C/Z5C are:

Wireless charging/ waterproof usb port
Better camera/curved lens/OIS
Atleast 32GB base storage + sd
Better front facing speakers
MORE battery life
I'm fine with 720p at 4.6 but 1080p would be nice if the battery is increased and the hardware is improved to match (Although imagine an 810 with a 720p screen :laugh: )
3GB+ RAM SD 810 or better, yada yada

King p1n

Jul 26, 2013
I keep hearing that but do you have a source?

Personally the upgrades I want to see in the upcoming Z4C/Z5C are:

Wireless charging/ waterproof usb port
Better camera/curved lens/OIS
Atleast 32GB base storage + sd
Better front facing speakers
MORE battery life
I'm fine with 720p at 4.6 but 1080p would be nice if the battery is increased and the hardware is improved to match (Although imagine an 810 with a 720p screen :laugh: )
3GB+ RAM SD 810 or better, yada yada
Don't have the link at hand but the same website said last month that's what their source revealed to them.

Issemann

Aug 16, 2010
I have better-than-average eyesight (about 20-15), and I can barely distinguish individual pixels on my Z3C, and only when holding it too close to my face to actually use. I would consider anything over 300 PPI good enough, and anything over 350 PPI perfect.

The Z4C being 1080p might be a disappointment if it results in a loss of battery life, but maybe they'll improve their battery tech enough to make up for it. In any case, wireless charging will be very nice to have.
I also have great eyesight and can easily spot the inferior display. But has anyone compared the Z3C to the One m7? I couldn't believe my own eyes when I compared the same HD YouTube video on each display only to see that the Z3C blew the m7 away! ?

Invalid_GR

Mar 17, 2012
Salllonika
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8
I also have great eyesight and can easily spot the inferior display. But has anyone compared the Z3C to the One m7? I couldn't believe my own eyes when I compared the same HD YouTube video on each display only to see that the Z3C blew the m7 away! ��

There are many things to improve (constrast,brightness etc) in a screen and let's hope they focus on these.
Anyway stuff that i want to see in the upcoming Z4C:
-Same footprint device with 4.6-4.8'' screen @ 720p resolution
-S805,3GB ram 32GB storage+SD
-Better camera and if possible OIS
-2800mah battery
-IR Blaster
-Dual sim
-Single covered port for sim/sd card and water resistant USB port so we can find a decent case :)
-Matte back as in Z3 tablet compact
-And of course Lollipop out of the box

Last edited:

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
There are many things to improve (constrast,brightness etc) in a screen and let's hope they focus on these.
Anyway stuff that i want to see in the upcoming Z4C:
-Same footprint 4.6-4.8'' screen size 720p resolution
-S805,3GB ram 32GB storage+SD
-Better camera and if possible OIS
-2800mah battery
-IR Blaster
-Dual sim
-Single covered port for sim/sd card and not protect usb port so we can find a decent case :)
-Matte back as in Z3 tablet compact
-And of course Lollipop out of the box

I would buy this phone in a heartbeat.

robertkoa

May 27, 2014
EYeah ! Lag will be impossible with that Chipset and

720 but I think they will go higher res anyway.

I do not care if the phone is 10mm thick I want at least a
3000 mah battery.

This Z4 if ruggedly built may be a 2 year type phone , so
wonderfully overspecced.

Hope it's rugged Device and fully engineered Camera this time with digital and OIS.

I will pay tops for this, then I won't wish for a Note 4 Compact / Alpha type thing....

Love to see a full 810 in a Compact !

More wattage than HTC Speakers and maybe Kevlar Drivers like tiny studio monitors -already waterproof.

Last edited:

Greg2Lu

Nov 18, 2014
Actually I think this can be produced given the fact that since 2 years the motherboard is smaller and smaller :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Notchr302

Sep 29, 2014
I really hope there is no compact with the next release but If the z4c is real, I'll be broke again.. Damn you Sony!

Sent from my D5803 using xda-developers.com, powered by appyet.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So the Z4 Compact phone is going to remain 4.6" display, but being bumped to 1920 x 1080 HD. That is awesome. The 10" tablet specs sound amazing, unfortunately, I prefer the 8" tablet size.

So the Z4 Compact phone is going to remain 4.6" display, but being bumped to 1920 x 1080 HD. That is awesome. The 10" tablet specs sound amazing, unfortunately, I prefer the 8" tablet size.

Let's check the progression:

Xperia ZR (the Xperia Z Compact): released June, 2013
    Xperia Z1 Compact: released January, 2014 (7 months later)
    Xperia Z3 Compact: released September, 2014 (8 months later)

We may expect the Z4 Compact 7-8 months after the Z3 Compact, so around April-May 2015.

I totally agree. I think the current 720p screen is beautiful, and if it means subtracting from the awesome battery life (unless battery specs change in Z4C), then it is a total waste. I think they are doing it for the higher pixel density crowd. It is the only negative potential buyers see on the phone because of the new push for higher resolution. I was even turned off initially thinking it was just another watered down compact phone, until I read the reviews in detail of how awesome the display is and all the other specs.
    Im not sure why so many rejoice about qi charging.
    I used a few phones with it and i think it sucks. I always end up using the usb port.

It's the only reason I do not have a z3c now. I tried to live with the dock on it, but it wasn't even remotely the same...so, back it went. If the z4c has qi charging I'll buy it...if it doesn't, I won't.

Just because YOU don't need/want/like/see the usefulness of qi charging doesn't mean it sucks...many of us use it almost exclusively with our phones.