Sony Xperia Z4, Z4 Tablet, Z4 Compact, Z4 Ultra: Exclusive Leak

Search This thread

XASPERATED

Nov 3, 2012
sydney
Why is there such a race to get the latest and the greatest? Arent we happy with this years flagships? Are we so eager to shell out our wallets on the slightest of improvements which we'll barely even notice in our day to day lives as we only use our smartphones for the same uses? sigh..

King p1n

Jul 26, 2013
I will wait for Z5 Compact. It may have 64 bit processor and 4 gb ram and more advanced camera sensor, better battery and bigger screen. I don't see any big upgrade in Z4c and for me 3gb of RAM in a 64 bit processor is useless not to mention that 1080p screen will kill the battery capacity and ruin the use of RAM.
3gb Ram is not useless lmao
64 bit just allows for more ram to be used compared to 32bit which caps at 3gb.
It doesn't in anyway make it useless.
The Z4 won't be the only phone to use 3gb such as the s6 and m9.

Furthermore the 64 bit is more efficient and therefore the 1080p won't be as big as a drain compared to if it was being used with an 801.

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
Im not sure why so many rejoice about qi charging.
I used a few phones with it and i think it sucks. I always end up using the usb port.

- Having to align the phone on a pad to charge sucks. I like to just drop the phone and have it charge. Magnetic port on the sony makes it the only single phone i can do that with...i dont want to fiddle with it even for 10s when it can be done in 0s without even looking.

- Qi charges slower

- Many qi chargers make a bit of noise

So past the cool factor i fail to see how thats any good...

The only thing i would really want improved on the current z3c would be the camera.

jutley

• Mar 23, 2006
    UK
    Agreed.
    That and sturdiness. Those scratched lens, shattered screen and loose magnetic port reports are scaring me... And I haven't received my Z3C yet!

LOL its a myth had mine for a while no such thing lol if it happens to you just replace it sony has 2 year warrenty.

Magnus.LPA

Aug 22, 2008
    LOL its a myth had mine for a while no such thing lol if it happens to you just replace it sony has 2 year warrenty.

Well that is good, but some pictures of worn out lenses are starting to appear on the web, and although they might be the result of some people not being careful, they're still worrying and don't qualify as a myth :/

Also, I haven't be very cautious with my current phone, which is now 3 years old with a basic TPU case, and it has absolutely no scratches on the lens, and very very few on the front glass. And no shattered screen despite countless drops.

That's the kind of sturdiness I'm looking for.

Anyway, I will receive my Z3C tomorrow and will have 15 days to decide whether I keep it or not. So I'll make sure I examine it very carefully and try locate any possible weakness. I will also make thorough tests of the camera. Might even make a very tiny scratch test on the lens with a needle.

Getting this phone for free doesn't mean I will settle for flaws.

And I'm quite certain Sony would say the warranty doesn't apply to scratches.

Last edited:

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
    Damn it, this is killing me... I literally just made up my mind to sell my Z1C and get the Z3C due to various little quirks that were addressed, like:
    - location of speaker (palm always naturally blocks it when holding in landscape mode)
    - rounded and non-metal edges (gets hot after extensive game play, round frames easier to grip)
    - placement of LED (less likely to be obscured by hand, less interference with lens)
    - improved flaps
    - hated the indentation of the speaker grills at bottom edge
    - bigger screen in same footprint
    - better battery life

But wireless charging! Dedicated audio chip! Exposed waterproof USB port! No more magnetic slot! Drool... indeed the next logical upgrade to the Z3C.
    I'm now glad the store did not have Z3C in stock two days ago. I'm also glad I haven't sold my Z1C yet. Guess I'll have to hang on to it for a few more months... argh!!!

Hopefully the Z4C will be announced next month at CES, then I can decide whether to get the Z3C (likely a price drop) or wait for Z4C. Both a win

I'm also with Z1c and thinking my next upgrade plan in 2015 between Z3c and Z4c. I would like to also consider Z4 if it manages to make it further smaller in size(Z3 indeed the size is quite small, it is smaller than Z1/Z2, barely enough for one-hand operational) because Z4c will get a big delay and I don't want to wait. But I think I will still prefer to get Z3c mainly for its cheaper price. Let me wait and see about Z4.

http://www.gizmochina.com/2014/12/16/oneplus-one-mini-may-5-inch-screen-snapdragon-615-processor-cost-1499-rmb-241-95-usd/
    But if you just want a cheap new phone you can also consider OnePlus One Mini now. It got 5" screen, S615, 8M front and 8M main camera. USD$241.95

AK4TAY7BEN

Dec 16, 2012
    seriously i dont get why you guys are so worried about the 1080p draining so much battery. yes indeed it will consume more power, but with new chipset (s810 if true), it is made in 20nm wich already helps a lot with power consumption, it does have a new architecture, LPDDR4 (low power memory), and the battery will be bigger. i am 100% sure it will have longer battery life than z3c (if these rumored specs turns to be true ofc).Also there is a new version of android, new screen tech by sony, new qualcomm power controller, etc. sure a 720p display in there would be even more battery friendly, but this configuration will outclass the z3c in battery life time already. An option for those who didnt like it, with root its possible to manually set the resolution, just like in your PC, so you can choose whatever resolution you want.

This guy gets it. We are also getting a 400 mAh bump according to rumors so battery shouldn't be an issue. Some improvements I would like to see is a better camera, 32GB+ option, and louder less distorted speakers.

Sent from my D5803 using XDA Free mobile app

kandelai

Apr 26, 2008
    Sony to unveil a "new flagship product" next week, possibly a global Xperia Z4

"Sony is getting ready to host press events on May 27 in Taiwan, and on May 28 in Hong Kong, where, according to local media, the company will unveil a "new Xperia flagship product," alongside the selfie-friendly Xperia C4 and the Xperia Z4 Tablet." Link

Pyres

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't see the point of an upgrade. Every 810-based phone has overheating problems, and it's just a spec-bump. This is like a Z3s, good for Sony to be always cutting-edge, but I'm not interested in selling my perfect Z3 Compact right now.
    If they had put a fingerprint reader in it, maybe I would've seen more sense in it...

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008
    I used a few phones with it and i think it sucks. I always end up using the usb port.

- Having to align the phone on a pad to charge sucks. I like to just drop the phone and have it charge. Magnetic port on the sony makes it the only single phone i can do that with...i dont want to fiddle with it even for 10s when it can be done in 0s without even looking.

- Qi charges slower

- Many qi chargers make a bit of noise

So past the cool factor i fail to see how thats any good...

The only thing i would really want improved on the current z3c would be the camera.

Also inductive chargers such as the Qi ones tend to warm up a bit - that heat ends up accelerating the aging process for the battery and leads to a shortened service life. Magnetic charging can be a little fiddly at times as well but at least its less wear and tear on the USB port.

moyan

May 27, 2015
    Z4Cs improve so little and I think their colors aren't colorful compared with z3c. I would like to look forward to z5 or z5c

Last edited:

mcdonsco

Nov 11, 2008

It's the only reason I do not have a z3c now. I tried to live with the dock on it, but it wasn't even remotely the same...so, back it went. If the z4c has qi charging I'll buy it...if it doesn't, I won't.

Just because YOU don't need/want/like/see the usefulness of qi charging doesn't mean it sucks...many of us use it almost exclusively with our phones.

Reactions: qbdx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      So the Z4 Compact phone is going to remain 4.6" display, but being bumped to 1920 x 1080 HD. That is awesome. The 10" tablet specs sound amazing, unfortunately, I prefer the 8" tablet size.

a 1080p resolution on a 4.6 display is a total waste. After ~320ppi anything else will just consume more power with no visual benefit.
      So the Z4 Compact phone is going to remain 4.6" display, but being bumped to 1920 x 1080 HD. That is awesome. The 10" tablet specs sound amazing, unfortunately, I prefer the 8" tablet size.

Let's check the progression:

Xperia ZR (the Xperia Z Compact): released June, 2013
      Xperia Z1 Compact: released January, 2014 (7 months later)
      Xperia Z3 Compact: released September, 2014 (8 months later)

We may expect the Z4 Compact 7-8 months after the Z3 Compact, so around April-May 2015.
      a 1080p resolution on a 4.6 display is a total waste. After ~320ppi anything else will just consume more power with no visual benefit.

I totally agree. I think the current 720p screen is beautiful, and if it means subtracting from the awesome battery life (unless battery specs change in Z4C), then it is a total waste. I think they are doing it for the higher pixel density crowd. It is the only negative potential buyers see on the phone because of the new push for higher resolution. I was even turned off initially thinking it was just another watered down compact phone, until I read the reviews in detail of how awesome the display is and all the other specs.

It's the only reason I do not have a z3c now. I tried to live with the dock on it, but it wasn't even remotely the same...so, back it went. If the z4c has qi charging I'll buy it...if it doesn't, I won't.

Just because YOU don't need/want/like/see the usefulness of qi charging doesn't mean it sucks...many of us use it almost exclusively with our phones.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone