Sound crackling/distortion with certain headphones?

trza2k

Jun 8, 2012
For detailed information about the problem see: http://www.jensign.com/S4Distortion/

The issue is CONFIRMED FIXED with I9505XXUBMEA firmware. I expect future updates for other regions should have this fix.

ORIGINAL POST:
Anyone having issues with audio crackling/distortion when using headphones?

It seems with audio volume above 50% using UE600 headphones i get crackling/distortion(usually on bass) that gets worse as i increase volume. I've read other reports of similar audio issues with decent head phones but not sure what the issue is.

I tried stock, cx-270 and koss headphones but they don't display the issue.

Last edited:

fade2green514

Mar 21, 2011

It seems with audio volume above 50% using UE600 headphones i get crackling/distortion thats gets worse as i increase volume. I've read other reports of similar audio issues with decent headhpones but not sure what the issue is.

try the headphones on another device to make sure the headphones arent blown

innozan

Nov 17, 2012

It seems with audio volume above 50% using UE600 headphones i get crackling/distortion thats gets worse as i increase volume. I've read other reports of similar audio issues with decent headhpones but not sure what the issue is.

Which s4 do you have? qualcomm chip or wolfson chip?

trza2k

Jun 8, 2012
So far i've read 3 people have confirmed crackling issues that are bad enough that you cannot listen to music.

Details:

JVC FXZ100 and UE 600 headphones have issues with crackling relating to bass.

stock, cx-270, re0, koss pathfinder, sennheiser ie8 and CX-500 appear to have no crackling.

Reactions: trenzterra

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
My UE600 crackles at volumes 10 and above.

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

I was thinking this is an issue with low impedance headphones?

The UE600 is 13ohms which is pretty low. JVC's is 16ohms.

EDIT: But the CX-270 is 16ohms as well. Very strange.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
I did some more testing at a local store, and found one unit that distorts heavily above volume 7 and another that does not distort at all even at 15!

so I went to do a 1 to 1 exchange but unfortunately the new unit I got distorted at volume 7 too! and it was much noisier. So in the end I decided against exchanging.

It's a frustrating problem though.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
Mine is on MDE.

I wonder if this issue could be addressed in software? If it's a hardware issue I have little hopes of it being solved I guess...

cosinav

Oct 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I just found out this problem! xxxk! seriously, this is not acceptable for a flagship smartphone. xxxt like this should not happen! It's crackling heavily on my UE600 and Sony XBA2VP. Its ok with the stock headphones and also my wife's UE200.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
For those with the problem, can you try one of the following:

1. Go to SoundAlive, select Custom EQ and turn 1Hz, 100Hz, 450Hz down all the day.

2. Turn on Flight Mode.

With either one of these options on, do you experience less crackling?

Thanks!

BTW can you guys contact Samsung to get them to investigate the issue? I emailed them but they kinda snubbed it off as a third-party issue.

tango280581

Mar 31, 2011
sutton in ashfield
Seems to be more when I crank the bass. I dont know how yours sounds but mines almost as tho its the jack connection. Dont know if this is relevant but looking at the earphone connector, the samsung ones have 3 bands round the jack the sennheisers have only 2. Can anyone with the crackle just check how many bands the offending earphones have round the connector.

Edit. Think I might be onto something here. Just tested my sons, there only cheapos but theyve got 3 bands, didnt crackle one bit at full volume with full bass.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

Last edited:

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
Mine is 2 bands. But unfortunately, I don't think that is the case, 'cos I tried with a 3.5mm extension (3 bands) and the crackle still happens.

I think it has to do with the sensitivity of our 'better' earphones--perhaps they are better at detecting the noise at low frequency levels. Strangely enough, sometimes when I plug in my earphones I don't get any distortion at all. Could be numerous factors in play.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
In the meantime could you send an email blast to Samsung Support about this issue? There is only so much I can do to bring this matter to their attention, and for now they don't seem to take me seriously or think it's just an isolated problem. Would be great if people could spread the word about this issue so that they'll be more inclined to fix it...