Speaker volume much softer than it was when I first got the phone

Search This thread

Phone_Junkie

Jul 21, 2010
Chicago Area
I took receipt of this unit today and having all of the issues described in this thread, including the sound changing when I rotate the screen. I read from the first post hoping to have a solution by the last. I'll be calling Moto tonight.

32GB cloud white. Back to my iPhone 6+ for now I guess.

fab299617cc12bad84e465cda4642d53.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

Last edited:

stigui

Aug 12, 2012
I'm noticing it too, in google music pause and play the same song. The second you hit play it gets loud then gets softer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
At 72% battery btw

Last edited:

danyjad

Dec 2, 2010
Lévis
I have this exact issue. More than annoying. Purchased this phone with a renewal from Bell Mobility in Canada, worst decision I ever made, as Moto now doesn't want anything to do with it and Bell is giving me the runaround, took 2 weeks for them to tell me it's not covered by the warranty (what else to expect from Bell?), and now they're looking things up, it's been a week without ANY news, so I'm thinking about filing a complaint. This phone is clearly defective, sound gets normalized to like 40% of what it should be. I got this phone 279$+tx on contract, I expect more from it!

Anyways, I got the phone back from them as they "negociate" with the service center or God know who...

Just thought you should know what a pain it is in Canada, carriers are more or less stealing our money with no service whatsoever. Suffice it to say, this should be my last Moto and Nexus.

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go Note 4... Touchwiz maybe?

/rant

ReaperManHK

Sep 16, 2011
Los Angeles
I got a replacement phone. It came with Android 5.0 and no problems. I then updated to 5.1, and no problem. I don't think it is a software bug, guys. :( Better get a replacement while it's still in warranty.
I'm not so sure.. I was experiencing this issue, so just for the sake of it I put on the latest CM12.1 nightly and no longer have this issue. Weird. Will post here if anything changes.

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
me too

When this happens on mine I flip it on one side then the other. The sound comes back for a couple of seconds then goes quiet again. This doesn't seem like a hardware problem. Its almost the same kind of fading out that happens when there are notifications while playing music except it never recovers. I wonder if OK Google is listening the whole time and it's owning the audio process somehow... Gonna check that now. Maybe disabling that feature will have an effect.

TheShadyColombian

May 7, 2015
Charging is the problem

When I first got my phone music and youtube videos were really loud with the built in speakers. So much so that I had to turn the volume down a little bit for comfort. Now when I make sound it starts out very loud but quickly softens drastically. Like something is trying to auto normalize the sound to a much lower volume.

What bugs me is it used to work great. I'm on the same firmware version and such that I was on before.

Is anyone else having volume issues with their built in speakers?

DEFINATELY charge amount. Plugged into Turbo Charger and it's blaring loud. :D

RW-1

Jun 30, 2010
www.dynamicflight.com
DEFINATELY charge amount. Plugged into Turbo Charger and it's blaring loud. :D

I agree, in addition ...

I don't know why they don't test for proper grounding of the thing. for a lot of phones besides the N6, if you are running the line out to the stereo and trying to charge, your mileage will vary on the issues you will see.

Not a deal breaker for me, but if on line out to car stereo, not charging, you can hear a faint buzz as you get a finger close to the screen or touch it, geez ....

karpouzasg1980

Jun 19, 2015
I solve the issue

Hi there . I had the same issue with the volume of the nexus 6 goes up and down. I flash several roms with no solution. Finally install the benzo rom and after the last update the issue no longer exist. In the kernell section of the rom on the audio you have to amplify the audio to 20 de activate the v4 driver and thats it. The issue no longer exist.

Pointmanipo

Jul 17, 2011
Boynton Beach
Re: Thanks.

Hi there . I had the same issue with the volume of the nexus 6 goes up and down. I flash several roms with no solution. Finally install the benzo rom and after the last update the issue no longer exist. In the kernell section of the rom on the audio you have to amplify the audio to 20 de activate the v4 driver and thats it. The issue no longer exist.

Thank you for that. I did just that. I love the ROM and all the features.

Wezi

Dec 9, 2011
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the v4 driver? Can this be disabled on other kernels?

I'm also experiencing sound throttling, which I wouldn't mind so much if it was on very low battery, but it appears to be doing it below 40 ish.

Wezi

Dec 9, 2011
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the v4 driver? Can this be disabled on other kernels?

I'm also experiencing sound throttling, which I wouldn't mind so much if it was on very low battery, but it appears to be doing it below 40 ish.

Ok answered my own question. v4 is the Viper4Android sound drivers. CM has its own EQ so i'll see if amplifying that has any affect otherwise i'll flash Viper4Android and see if that makes a difference

jaskaransingh

Jan 21, 2012
I bought it off Amazon

I happen to have the same issue with the speakers. I would get a replacement but the only problem is that I bought my N6 off amazon and they won't accept the return after the 30 day return period has expired. I was just wondering if I can talk to Amazon or Motorola about it. Will they offer to help?

raresoul77

Nov 13, 2011
I had the same problem. Out of frustration, I slapped the edge of the phone on my leg ( both sides) and the problem went away. Hope this helps

Karim Khoury

Aug 24, 2015
Help please

So this actually worked on my N6 maybe it will work for yours. After a reboot problem remains. I applied small pressure evenly to the speakers with my fingers and bam problem gone. I seriously hope we don't have bad hardware. Hope this helps you guys as well.

Hello

Can you please he;p me fix it as well please?
I listen to music everyday and I cant stand this issue if it works i will give you a few dollars

Karim Khoury

Aug 24, 2015
A simple question

i've been looking through the mixer_paths.xml file to see if i can find headphones and speaker values to increase to increase volume and this mixer_paths file is different than what i'm used to with samsung and LG phones. i'm probably missing some values to see because i normally use 920 text editor but that app currently isnt working with android 5.0. has anyone found the values to change the increase volume?

Hello

I have 2 nexus 6's and 1 of them has this problem
is there anyway of getting the file from the working phone to fix the other one?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I solve the issue

Anyone found a solution for this or it just is what it is? Also notice the volume increases when I rotate the landscape view..then normalizes lower after a few seconds...

I've hard reset....flashed a fresh copy of 5.0.1 still no solution? Could this be a hardware issue?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app
    I got a replacement phone. It came with Android 5.0 and no problems. I then updated to 5.1, and no problem. I don't think it is a software bug, guys. :( Better get a replacement while it's still in warranty.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone