Speakerphone (loudness, clarity)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Proper etiquette aside (hint: don't use speakerphone while doing your "business" in a public bathroom), rate this thread to express how you think the Samsung Galaxy Note 8's speakerphone performs. A higher rating indicates that you love it: it's loud and it's clear.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Had some time with note 8 display unit in Samsung store. I liked everything, but the external speaker. It is too high pitched, making listening to it a discomfort. I had the same issue with Note 7.
Today will go there again to double check. So far, this is the only thing holding me from preordering this phone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
Had some time with note 8 display unit in Samsung store. I liked everything, but the external speaker. It is too high pitched, making listening to it a discomfort. I had the same issue with Note 7.
Today will go there again to double check. So far, this is the only thing holding me from preordering this phone

I really miss the nexus 6p speakers.

Had some more time with note 8 display units in Samsung store. I was surprised to find out that equalizer settings were applicable to the external speaker sound. For some reason I had been thinking that those settings are for earphones only.
So I reduced the high frequencies and that's it, the sound became much more better without causing discomfort for the hearing. For those who will find volume level low, you can boost all frequencies and get much louder sound.
Finally I made my pre-order for a black 64 GB unit.

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
What about the clarity and crispness of sound? Samsung aren't known for.producing good sound even their TVs speakers are poor.
After using Axon 7 and nexus 6p I've got used to good loud clear speakers, this is my major concern with note 8.

Sattero

May 2, 2008
Brno
For music it's miles away from iPhone 7 (not Plus, I have the "small" one) but not in the good way, it has smaller amount of bass and is more high pitched. I use my phone to play some music in a dinner room or in the bathroom so this is kind of disadvantage on Note 8 side.

Don't have any comparison on calling loudness and clarity but for music... it's shame that Sammy didn't make a stereo setup like Apple did with iPhone 7 which helped a lot.

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
For music it's miles away from iPhone 7 (not Plus, I have the "small" one) but not in the good way, it has smaller amount of bass and is more high pitched. I use my phone to play some music in a dinner room or in the bathroom so this is kind of disadvantage on Note 8 side.

Don't have any comparison on calling loudness and clarity but for music... it's shame that Sammy didn't make a stereo setup like Apple did with iPhone 7 which helped a lot.

You're saying you'd be glad to give up your headphone jack for dual speakers?

Honestly, Samsung should've followed Sony, HTC, or other phone companies that enabled speaker output from the earpiece alongside with the main speaker.

Reactions: tiguy99

Sattero

May 2, 2008
Brno
Lol hell no, I am not saying this. I am talking about the dual speaker setup you mentioned also.

Absence of jack is different story, maybe even fairy tail of greedy king who wanted to make all customers to buy wireless headphones which are expensive and most of them sh**ty af. Don't worry, that's what I hate about iPhone 7 the most from the start.

Reactions: winol

CtrlZThis

Apr 28, 2015
Coming from a 6P using Arise, in comparison, the Note 8 speaker is horrible.

Maybe I need to get acclimated to it, but I can hardly hear my alerts and texts as they come in. With notifications volume cranked to 11, switching ringtones in an area where a conversations happening, I really can't hear the tones. It sucks to be honest.

It's not a deal breaker but if I miss to many texts it could be. My 6p speakers are freaking amazing....Almost as amazing as the screen on my Note 8!

The speakers poor quality is absolutely the only thing on this device that I am not happy with

jason504

Mar 3, 2013

Maybe I need to get acclimated to it, but I can hardly hear my alerts and texts as they come in. With notifications volume cranked to 11, switching ringtones in an area where a conversations happening, I really can't hear the tones. It sucks to be honest.

It's not a deal breaker but if I miss to many texts it could be. My 6p speakers are freaking amazing....Almost as amazing as the screen on my Note 8!

The speakers poor quality is absolutely the only thing on this device that I am not happy with
You are right the speaker on this phone gets a thumbs down. But everything else is great. I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CtrlZThis

Apr 28, 2015
You are right the speaker on this phone gets a thumbs down. But everything else is great. I can live with that.

It's not as bad as I guess I made it out to be but it's not an impressive speaker. However this phone is so bad ass that a little less volume is tolerable. I'm so impressed with everything else on it, I feel like an idiot for complaining that the one speaker isn't as loud as my 6p's 2!

Love my Note8 and happy to have my 6p as a backup!

jason504

Mar 3, 2013
It's not as bad as I guess I made it out to be but it's not an impressive speaker. However this phone is so bad ass that a little less volume is tolerable. I'm so impressed with everything else on it, I feel like an idiot for complaining that the one speaker isn't as loud as my 6p's 2!

Love my Note8 and happy to have my 6p as a backup!
Ha ha ha you are correct.

Edu616

Jul 20, 2011
Is there anything like a mod with no root to boost and or tweak the speaker settings?

I remember there was a mod on the LG G5 that would let you use your earpiece as a twitter and you regular bottom speaker as a woofer and it sounded great. I which wi would see something similar on the Note 8.

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON
I remember there was a mod on the LG G5 that would let you use your earpiece as a twitter and you regular bottom speaker as a woofer and it sounded great. I which wi would see something similar on the Note 8.

I think we would need root for mods like that.. I don't want to root... I wish we could do that. It kills me that I was comparing my S8 to my Note 8 yesterday and I then realized how much louder and still clear the S8 was over the Note 8. Now the size of it in my pocket and the dismal speaker loudness are the 2 things making me want to go back to the S8 until the S9.... I've only got 6 days to make my move..... Anyone else know of anything that can be done to boost external volume??

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

This works without root!!! Speaker Booster from the play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.omegacentauri.SpeakerBoost&hl=en

be careful, I found 10-20% boost was enough!!!

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
Must say the speaker phone sound quite good. Still want stereo dual speakers but a step upfrom my S6 edge+.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had some more time with note 8 display units in Samsung store. I was surprised to find out that equalizer settings were applicable to the external speaker sound. For some reason I had been thinking that those settings are for earphones only.
    So I reduced the high frequencies and that's it, the sound became much more better without causing discomfort for the hearing. For those who will find volume level low, you can boost all frequencies and get much louder sound.
    Finally I made my pre-order for a black 64 GB unit.

You're saying you'd be glad to give up your headphone jack for dual speakers?

Honestly, Samsung should've followed Sony, HTC, or other phone companies that enabled speaker output from the earpiece alongside with the main speaker.
    Lol hell no, I am not saying this. I am talking about the dual speaker setup you mentioned also.

Absence of jack is different story, maybe even fairy tail of greedy king who wanted to make all customers to buy wireless headphones which are expensive and most of them sh**ty af. Don't worry, that's what I hate about iPhone 7 the most from the start.
    Just tried it in person.

I cannot believe how terrible the speaker is.
    It's worse than my S6..

It has zero anything even close to bass.