Spectrum App Detecting VPN Connection

Search This thread
Hello all,

I setup OpenVPN so I could access my home network and view my TWC Spectrum subscription when out and about . The Spectrum TV app is detecting that im using a VPN and limits what I can watch.

I see in the past users on XDA developers removed blocks from the old app (APK) but im wondering if there's another way to hide the fact I'm using a VPN. I am using the default port (1194) but I'm wondering if changing that will help before I go through and do that.

Thanks.
[Spectrum TV app](http://imgur.com/BPsAYJk.jpg)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

legendofsounds

Apr 11, 2017
hello all,

i setup openvpn so i could access my home network and view my twc spectrum subscription when out and about . The spectrum tv app is detecting that im using a vpn and limits what i can watch.

I see in the past users on xda developers removed blocks from the old app (apk) but im wondering if there's another way to hide the fact i'm using a vpn. I am using the default port (1194) but i'm wondering if changing that will help before i go through and do that.

Thanks.

sent from my nexus 5x using tapatalk

i had the same problem so i just spoofed the ip on a different time warner cable / spectrum node
and gave me all channels

legendofsounds

Apr 11, 2017
@legendofsounds can you please elaborate on how you got this working?

twc spectrum assigns you an ip address (DHCP) for your subscription so that ip is only going to work for your username and password for the spectrum tv app.
What i did is i logged in to my Netgear r6300 router settings and went to the internet tab i seen my ip address and copied the same numbers shown for
ip: x.x.x.x
subnetmask: 255.255.x.x
defaultgateway: x.x.x.x

i went to visit my family in another city/Node
and logged in to they're router settings and set a static ip with the same ip i had back in my house
once i hit apply settings opened spectrum tv on a roku logged in with my credentials and it worked like a charm.

NOTE: If you try this in the same city where modem A is it wont work because the ip will have a conflict problem

zielin

Nov 5, 2010
Thanks for clarifying!

This is an interesting work around (and one I'm surprised works).

However, it doesn't help the situation I (and I believe the original poster) are in. I'm able to log into the VPN running on a machine inside my TWC hosted network using my router or even an individual PC, and that works fine. I'm able to see all channels.

Problem is when I'm on my phone using a mobile connection (or wifi on a network that I don't have control over). I can connect to the same VPN on my phone, but the TWC app disallows use when it detects that the phone itself is connected to a VPN. So it seems that we need a way to connect our phones to a VPN without the TWC app knowing it's connected to a VPN.