Speculation....Tab S to be dropped when Android L launched?

Search This thread

corvus.corax

Jul 1, 2013
Athens
I agree. The masses don't care. In general, they buy on price if the specs are adequate. The manufacturers, on the other hand, need to keep pushing their latest, greatest tech to prove they are staying relevant and their marketing is out there trying to convince buyers the new products are so much better whether, in reality, it matters or not. So, if Samsung offers an S at the price of the Pro, the masses will likely go for the S, if the Pro price hasn't been lowered too much. We here - who are not representative of the masses - on the other other hand, are usually tempted by the future.

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
So conspiracy theorists do carry on. I'm out because this thread is turning argumentative and I'm not helping.

There might be some, I'm not included; but you did actually ignore what was said about past performance and brushed it aside referring to a niche market. Totally incorrect.

So, this thread isn't the worst (as some have implied), there is a factual and sound basis for those theorists.

In this case ..... No "voice of reason" at all. ....

Last edited:

apicia

Aug 23, 2011
MA
The Tab S with LTE makes me think about the future of wireless. Mobile network support is the next standard on all devices with so many providers offering unlimited data. It will soon be uncapped altogether, much like minutes on voice calls. That seems the next natural progression. My Verizon tech told me how they stopped the expansion of FIOS landlines into new areas. The CEO of Verizon believes everything will be wireless in the near future, including cable TV. To those of us the lived pre-2000 and know what life was like stretching the kitchen phone into the bathroom to call a girl (and hope she is home to answer), it is cool to think we will all be connected to the internet, with one device or another, wherever we are or go.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
Sorry. I find this mildly absurd. In recent years, Samsung has a good track record of updating all of their flagship products, even if it does take a while. If this were a midrange or budget product, I'd totally agree with you. Samsung doesn't update it's budget products. In this case, though, I think you're way off base. If the Galaxy Note 8.0 and original 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 (both crap sellers) got KitKat, the Tab S line will get L. This isn't even a question in my mind.

I agree I find it hard to believe that the Tab S won't get an update. I think it's more just a matter of Samsung, like all manufacturers, being under pressure to always be cranking out a "new and improved" product. There wasn't anything wrong with the Tab Pro. If I had been spending my own money I probably would have bought one over the Tab S just to save a few bucks...and would have been perfectly happy with it (BTW I think it will also get an L update). Given that it was for work and I was spending my employer's money, I got the S 8.4 over the Pro 8.4:good: It's not really that the Pro was abandoned so much as it was superseded by the S. On that note, I think they are really introducing new models too fast but they probably don't have any choice.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

The Tab S with LTE makes me think about the future of wireless. Mobile network support is the next standard on all devices with so many providers offering unlimited data. It will soon be uncapped altogether, much like minutes on voice calls. That seems the next natural progression. My Verizon tech told me how they stopped the expansion of FIOS landlines into new areas. The CEO of Verizon believes everything will be wireless in the near future, including cable TV. To those of us the lived pre-2000 and know what life was like stretching the kitchen phone into the bathroom to call a girl (and hope she is home to answer), it is cool to think we will all be connected to the internet, with one device or another, wherever we are or go.

"So many providers offering unlimited data". What!?!?!?!? Looks to me like just the opposite. Some Verizon big wig might be talking about everything being wireless. But that's because Verizon wants you to pay and pay and pay for data. I still have my unlimited data plan grandfathered in. But with every upgrade that gets harder to do. TV over Verizon's wireless? Under Verizon's current plans how long would your 2 GB/Month plan last? Less than 2 hours worth of HD TV. According to Verizon's web site their most basic smartphone "more everything" plan is:

"Individuals can enjoy unlimited talk, text, & 250 MB of data for $45 monthly access with Verizon Edge."

Reactions: xRevilatioNx

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Barry doesn't just talk for the sake of being heard.

He does some of the time; but never intentionally. ;)

He backs everything up with factual, common sense, analysis.

Most of the time; there's usually opinion added with some personal extrapolation.

Here's what I've heard in this thread:

Samsung's going to replace the Tab S to coincide with Android L

Has there ever been an example of a whole-scale Samsung device upgrade or replacement tied to a new Android release? I can't think of one. Usually Samsung launches on whatever's out and upgrades devices in newest to oldest order. They've even launched devices on older Android versions when newer ones were available because they didn't have time to move to the new Android version and didn't want to delay the launch. The Note 4's launching with 4.4 and Android L is coming out in a couple of weeks and I'd bet Samsung's had it in their labs for weeks or months. Using the logic applied here the Note 4 will have a three month lifespan and be superseded by the Note 5. And the Note 4 is a very important device volume wise.

The Tab 7.7 is a relevant example of a device being abandoned and the S could suffer the same fate

Some folks here don't agree with me that it was intentionally priced to limit its sales; perhaps due to AMOLED constraints (or costs) or to drive higher margin. But people here have talked about unusual circumstances surrounding its launch. So if Apple's stop-sale did impact availability and sales isn't that an anomaly that doesn't apply here? Maybe Samsung intended to market the hell out of it and make it their volume tablet leader; outside events prevented that from happening by everyone here's admission. As for pricing, for whatever reason, the 7.7 was hundreds more than other same-size Android tablets. The S' are the same price the Pro's launched at which correlate to the Note-series going back to 2011. So there's a huge difference between the 7.7 and S in terms of their launch/lifespan and what pricing means/meant to the market. And before anyone throws in the Pro's, the S is the Pro. For whatever reason Samsung wanted to get to market with fresh high-end tablets and the S' weren't ready. It takes anywhere from six months to a year to go from concept to sales. So the S' were well under way when the Pro's launched. So the Pro's always were intended to have a short shelf life. We'll never know what the 7.7's future could have been because it wasn't a normal launch and was priced stratospherically compared to other Android tablets (which had 40% market share in 2011, it was 62% last year). The average selling price of a tablet this year is $381 and that includes Apple's products setting the high end. That's a lot of sub-$200 Android tablets driving the low end. The battle Samsung's actually fighting (starting with the 7.7) is convincing people that an Android tablet is worth iPad prices. So far, based on sales, they aren't there yet.

S-805/Exynos 5433 either with Android L or by themselves is reason enough for Samsung to launch a Tab S replacement

Has there ever been an example of Samsung launching a new global device or upgrading a series based solely on a new SoC being available? I can't think of one. To move a series up a version there's normally a slew of major (or presented as major) new features. Examples being a fingerprint reader, water proofing, thinner/smaller/lighter, superior camera, big display bump (720P>1080P), and s/w advances (new S Note, multiview, e-Meeting, Hancom, etc). And if you go back and look at their product launch presentations on YouTube they spend about 10 seconds talking about the SoC and even less discussing Android. That's because "stuff" sells mobile devices; not incremental gains in SoC and Android version.

Bottom line is this. Tablets aren't selling, especially at the high-end (see above chart). Replacing the Tab S with a Tab S 2 and the only difference between them being the latter getting Android L earlier (the S will definitely get it; it's too new not to) and newer but still quad and eight core processors isn't going to increase sales; at least not by themselves. Are there any examples of Samsung replacing a device with no improvements other than Android version and SoC? I'm not aware of any (and one-region-wonders like the LTE-A Korean devices don't count). And have you seen the early TW overlayed versions of Samsung's rendition of Android L? You can't tell it from 4.4. So with the Tab S having Samsung's current "latest and greatest" what other than a newer SoC and Android L will they put in the Tab S 2 to create the typical degree of separation from the device it's replacing that they have before?

So maybe some of the 6M XDA members (300M mobile devices were sold last year) are waiting for better SoC's before buying a S but I highly doubt the masses are. Samsung sold 8.5M tablets in Q2. And I'd venture a guess that 60-70% are low or mid range. They'll sell 8.5M Note 4's during launch week. The Tab S is important to this forum but it's not going to change Samsung's fortunes one way or the other; at least not in the next twelve months. If Samsung's going to shake up the mobile market it won't be with tablets because the velocity just isn't there (even including Apple's numbers); especially at the high-end we're talking about here. And you could say they did already shake up the tablet market by launching the industry's only 2K AMOLED displays that have won universal critical acclaim.

Over and out. ;)

pinsb

Sep 9, 2011
London, UK

Has there ever been an example of a whole-scale Samsung device upgrade or replacement tied to a new Android release? I can't think of one. Usually Samsung launches on whatever's out and upgrades devices in newest to oldest order. They've even launched devices on older Android versions when newer ones were available because they didn't have time to move to the new Android version and didn't want to delay the launch. The Note 4's launching with 4.4 and Android L is coming out in a couple of weeks and I'd bet Samsung's had it in their labs for weeks or months. Using the logic applied here the Note 4 will have a three month lifespan and be superseded by the Note 5. And the Note 4 is a very important device volume wise.

Barry I think that's aimed at the original post I made?

Can we be clear, I didn't say it was going to happen, I asked a question whether people thought it might happen. Questions require the poster to listen to the reasoned responses and then make a weighted decision based upon those responses. Statements pre suppose a bias or pre disposition to a desired outcome.

The Tab 7.7 is a relevant example of a device being abandoned and the S could suffer the same fate

Some folks here don't agree with me that it was intentionally priced to limit its sales; perhaps due to AMOLED constraints (or costs) or to drive higher margin. But people here have talked about unusual circumstances surrounding its launch. So if Apple's stop-sale did impact availability and sales isn't that an anomaly that doesn't apply here? Maybe Samsung intended to market the hell out of it and make it their volume tablet leader; outside events prevented that from happening by everyone here's admission. As for pricing, for whatever reason, the 7.7 was hundreds more than other same-size Android tablets. The S' are the same price the Pro's launched at which correlate to the Note-series going back to 2011. So there's a huge difference between the 7.7 and S in terms of their launch/lifespan and what pricing means/meant to the market. And before anyone throws in the Pro's, the S is the Pro. For whatever reason Samsung wanted to get to market with fresh high-end tablets and the S' weren't ready. It takes anywhere from six months to a year to go from concept to sales. So the S' were well under way when the Pro's launched. So the Pro's always were intended to have a short shelf life. We'll never know what the 7.7's future could have been because it wasn't a normal launch and was priced stratospherically compared to other Android tablets (which had 40% market share in 2011, it was 62% last year). The average selling price of a tablet this year is $381 and that includes Apple's products setting the high end. That's a lot of sub-$200 Android tablets driving the low end. The battle Samsung's actually fighting (starting with the 7.7) is convincing people that an Android tablet is worth iPad prices. So far, based on sales, they aren't there yet.

It's not that I disagree with your assessment, I disagree with your timeline and the inference you're drawing as a result.

As I said in an earlier post when the 7.7 was launched (Feb 2012) the only real player in town was the IPad and Samsung had designed (over-engineered) the 7.7 to be feature rich against the IPads then available. However within a very short number of months the Nexus 7 was launched (Jul 2012), the market then exploded with a whole range of tablets from me-too manufacturers trying to get in on the game.....but the Nexus had effectively set a benchmark price of $200 to play in the market. Not withstanding the legal issues Samsung was having with Apple regarding the 7.7 the reality was that their market had moved from a customer price expectation of $500+ to a $200 product in 3 months, I accept and accepted above, commercially they had to abandon the 7.7 from a sales viewpoint. What I take issue with is a perfectly acceptable piece of very expensive hardware did not get software updates for a sensible time afterwards, if they want to abandon the product fine, don't abandon the already invested customers though and that's what they did.

S-805/Exynos 5433 either with Android L or by themselves is reason enough for Samsung to launch a Tab S replacement

Has there ever been an example of Samsung launching a new global device or upgrading a series based solely on a new SoC being available? I can't think of one. To move a series up a version there's normally a slew of major (or presented as major) new features. Examples being a fingerprint reader, water proofing, thinner/smaller/lighter, superior camera, big display bump (720P>1080P), and s/w advances (new S Note, multiview, e-Meeting, Hancom, etc). And if you go back and look at their product launch presentations on YouTube they spend about 10 seconds talking about the SoC and even less discussing Android. That's because "stuff" sells mobile devices; not incremental gains in SoC and Android version.

Bottom line is this. Tablets aren't selling, especially at the high-end (see above chart). Replacing the Tab S with a Tab S 2 and the only difference between them being the latter getting Android L earlier (the S will definitely get it; it's too new not to) and newer but still quad and eight core processors isn't going to increase sales; at least not by themselves. Are there any examples of Samsung replacing a device with no improvements other than Android version and SoC? I'm not aware of any (and one-region-wonders like the LTE-A Korean devices don't count). And have you seen the early TW overlayed versions of Samsung's rendition of Android L? You can't tell it from 4.4. So with the Tab S having Samsung's current "latest and greatest" what other than a newer SoC and Android L will they put in the Tab S 2 to create the typical degree of separation from the device it's replacing that they have before?

So maybe some of the 6M XDA members (300M mobile devices were sold last year) are waiting for better SoC's before buying a S but I highly doubt the masses are. Samsung sold 8.5M tablets in Q2. And I'd venture a guess that 60-70% are low or mid range. They'll sell 8.5M Note 4's during launch week. The Tab S is important to this forum but it's not going to change Samsung's fortunes one way or the other; at least not in the next twelve months. If Samsung's going to shake up the mobile market it won't be with tablets because the velocity just isn't there (even including Apple's numbers); especially at the high-end we're talking about here. And you could say they did already shake up the tablet market by launching the industry's only 2K AMOLED displays that have won universal critical acclaim.

Over and out. ;)

Sorry I'm a little confused now, on the one hand you seem to be arguing that the S (Jun 2014) replacing the Pro (Feb 2014) was almost for single reason and you seem to also be arguing that Samsung don't replace a model for a single reason but instead for a whole range of feature enhancements. This makes an interesting read....

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129...msung-galaxy-tabpro-8-4-what-s-the-difference

I agree that high end tablets are not volume selling, but they do get a hugely disproportionate amount of coverage in the media and that leads to greater brand recognition and that leads to greater sales for your low end products as well.

Something to throw into the mix for all of this is Samsung are a vertically integrated business far more then most of the other players in the market, their products contain a much higher content of self designed and manufactured components. One thing I know is that when you've spent $2bn building a fabrication facility you have to ensure it's manufacturing and producing output 24 hours a day, that means you have to sell products at the retail point and that means if a current model isn't selling they'll replace it quickly to get another bite at the cherry (they're not as constrained by long lead times and inventory commitment as other tablet manufacturers).

I'm comfortable with all of this, as long as Samsung commit to support a product for 2 years worth of software updates after they stop marketing it so I know I get at least a three year life out of my purchase.

And lastly why would they launch a new version, I think you've sort of answered this yourself, to launch the first 64 bit tablet in the Tab S Slate with a Exynos 5433 chip inside will redefine the market and give them both lots of media coverage and lots of kudos in terms of maintaining their position as the market leader. These things have huge below the line commercial value and should not be lightly dismissed by the company with the biggest marketing budget in the world for 2013.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-14bn-marketing-budget-biggest-history-525979

I still await to see, the title of the thread clearly states it's speculation and I don't know the answer, but I'll not be surprised if within 90 days of Android L launch we see announced a 64 bit Tab S in some form or another.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Sorry I'm a little confused now, on the one hand you seem to be arguing that the S (Jun 2014) replacing the Pro (Feb 2014) was almost for single reason and you seem to also be arguing that Samsung don't replace a model for a single reason but instead for a whole range of feature enhancements. This makes an interesting read....

No, I'm actually saying the opposite. Compared to the Pro's the S' introduced...

• AMOLED displays (the most hyped and significant feature)
  • Thinner, lighter, smaller (except the 10.5 which grew marginally but offered a bigger display)
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Trick accessories including a matching keyboard
  • Ultra power saving mode
  • Paper Garden
  • SGS5 "look"

Here's how you know the Pro's weren't a major effort for Samsung. They were exact replicas of the N10.1-14 that launched in November, 2013. The 8.4 and 12.2 were sizes previously not offered as a Note but that's about it. Every s/w feature on the Pro's is common with the N10.1-14 with the exception of M-UX which it never got. They all used the same design which mirrored the Note 3. So you could say the N10.1-14 and Pro's are a single product family with either the N10.1-14 launching early or the Pro's late. There's a reason the N10.1-14 was launched well ahead of similar/identical non-Note products.

Regardless, it's pretty clear the S' are and were always meant to be Pro replacements. And it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung's next big tablet "thing" is a fresh Note-series with the 4K LCD display they've been working on, the greatly improved S Pen and Multiview features from the Note 4, along with Note 4's design and metal vs. plastic trim. When you compare a Note to an iPad there's a hell of a lot that's unique separating the two. And the price is higher for Note's along with their margin. If you were Samsung which would you focus on? Updating a year-old cash cow (and adding the long missing 8.4" version) or adding a new SoC and Android version to a just released device with a killer feature (AMOLED) supporting it?

So looking at the list of upgrades from Pro<>S above, what's the list between S<>S 2 going to look like? My thesis is that with Samsung never previously emphasizing SoC or Android as the reason to move a device series up, there's got to be a list before there's an S 2.

There's a first time for everything (Samsung using SoC and Android as a reason to move a series up ) so I could be wrong in which case I'll humbly apologize. But all this is just conversation and speculation. No need to say things that require moderator intervention. ;)

Last edited:

Deusdies

May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN, USA
So I just bought this tablet from Amazon. I currently have iPad air which is fine but the iOS8 update made it almost unusable (apps crash all the time, WiFi barely works). The Tab S was meant as a replacement, but from what I'm reading here, it seems that a Note 10.1 2015 or whatever is inevitable, or S Slate.

My question is: should I return the Tab S within the 30 days return period?

Thanks!

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I wouldn't do anything based on this thread which is riddled with speculation (including mine). If you're enjoying your Tab S, why return it? If a Note 2015 is releases it'll be $50-100 more than the Tab S and most likely have an LCD display (AMOLED's awful on light colors which most productivity/creation apps are). You've got something in your hands today. Who knows when or if anything discussed in this thread will become real.

Deusdies

May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I wouldn't do anything based on this thread which is riddled with speculation (including mine). If you're enjoying your Tab S, why return it? If a Note 2015 is releases it'll be $50-100 more than the Tab S and most likely have an LCD display (AMOLED's awful on light colors which most productivity/creation apps are). You've got something in your hands today. Who knows when or if anything discussed in this thread will become real.
Yeah, you're probably right. I am yet to see if I'll enjoy the Tab S (it has arrived, but I'm at work :( ). I had a Tab Pro 10.1 and was not super happy about it, it was okay, but it had significant lag issues. Hopefully Tab S will be better.

apicia

Aug 23, 2011
MA
Let us know how you made out!

I am currently using the Tab S 10.5" 16GB. It is fantastic. I previously owned the Tab Pro 10.1. They both have identical hardware to my knowledge, other than 2GB RAM (Tab Pro) vs 3GB RAM (Tab S). The Tab S slightly outperforms the Pro when running multiple apps or intensive games. The big difference is the screen. The Pro 10.1 had a fantastic screen. The detail was incredible. The contrast was good and viewing angles were very good. The Tab S has a fantastic super AMOLED screen. You get the same resolution, but the Infinite Contrast and absolute viewing angles are sweet as candy.

The Tab S 10.5 is the best tablet out there right now. The 10.5" AMOLED screen is intoxicating. One thing I had to do was turn off the auto brightness and lower it a bit. I can get very bright and saturated. With brightness turned down a bit, the saturation is nice and viewing angles/contrast are superior.

Rage1ofakind

So I just bought this tablet from Amazon. I currently have iPad air which is fine but the iOS8 update made it almost unusable (apps crash all the time, WiFi barely works). The Tab S was meant as a replacement, but from what I'm reading here, it seems that a Note 10.1 2015 or whatever is inevitable, or S Slate.

My question is: should I return the Tab S within the 30 days return period?

Thanks!

My favourite tablet (or tablets) were the iPad Mini 2 and Air. When Samsung launched this device I bought the 8.4". And now in all honesty I actually don't like the Mini 2 and Air anymore, the display is no match, and even though the iPads are metal, for some reason this Tab S feels a lot better in day to day use. Mainly because of how insanely thin and gorgeous it looks.
Watching YouTube clips, TV shows and movies on this is so much better.

So I would advise you to keep that order as you'll love the tablet. Hopefully you do :p. The built in TV remote & TV guide features are great as well. And no doubt the Android L update will crank it up a notch.

There will always be newer and better tablets on the horizon, but at the moment this is the best one out. (For a few more weeks till the Nexus 9)

Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Deusdies

May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN, USA
My favourite tablet (or tablets) were the iPad Mini 2 and Air. When Samsung launched this device I bought the 8.4". And now in all honesty I actually don't like the Mini 2 and Air anymore, the display is no match, and even though the iPads are metal, for some reason this Tab S feels a lot better in day to day use. Mainly because of how insanely thin and gorgeous it looks.

So I would advice you to keep that order as you'll love the tablet. Hopefully you do :p. The built in TV remote & TV guide features are great as well. And no doubt the Android L update will crank it up a notch.

There will always be newer and better tablets on the horizon, but at the moment this is the best one out. (For a few more weeks till the Nexus 9)

Hey, thanks for replying! The device actually came last Friday and I absolutely love it. Sure, it lags here and there, but nothing too bad at all. I thought that after buying it I'll probably still play with my iPad Air while I still have it. Turns out, the iPad has been sitting there collecting dust and every now and then I pick up my new Galaxy Tab S.

I thought that I'd miss some apps from iOS (mostly games), but it's amazing how much android tablet support has evolved - I found literally no games that I missed, as they all seem to have an Android port.

Also I completely agree on the build - Tab S does feel much better in hand, even though it's plastic. I guess that may be because it feels warm to touch.

The screen is GORGEOUS, it's beyond belief. When I played that demo video they have I just said "holy ****".

So far, really happy with my decision, and the iPad air is already on eBay :D

Reactions: Rage1ofakind

pinsb

Sep 9, 2011
London, UK
Well as the N9 appears, from some press reports at least, to be a 64bit device I still think we'll see a Tab S Slate LTE-A based on the new Exynos chipset announced within 90 days.

I've been watching prices in the UK and the channel (retailers and distributors holding stock) are definitely aggressively pricing to move inventory, pricing on Amazon UK has dropped about 20% in the last 3 weeks.

apicia

Aug 23, 2011
MA
Well as the N9 appears, from some press reports at least, to be a 64bit device I still think we'll see a Tab S Slate LTE-A based on the new Exynos chipset announced within 90 days.

I've been watching prices in the UK and the channel (retailers and distributors holding stock) are definitely aggressively pricing to move inventory, pricing on Amazon UK has dropped about 20% in the last 3 weeks.

An LTE Tab S Slate with Android L would be awesome, although initially very expensive I would guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you do some research tablet sales are cooling; even Apple's. Unlike smartphones, the replacement cycle is slower for tablets with current owners keeping them much longer. Phablets are denting tablet sales; especially in emerging markets where people can't afford two devices.

Apple and Samsung both lost market share in Q2; Apple more so. Apple was down in volume while Samsung gained. Price is obviously impacting sales with low cost tablet vendors growing in volume and market share.

We on XDA have a skewed view of the world. The masses are far less concerned about the speed of their CPU/GPU if they even know or care what they are. Same thing with Android L. If the latest and greatest Android version were that important to the masses Samsung wouldn't be selling the volume of devices they do and GPe and Nexus devices would be more popular.

Samsung most likely reused the high-end architecture from earlier tablets on the S' to save money and get them to market faster. Bearing the cost of redesigning them for 5433/S-805 isn't going to affect their sales or their perception by the masses. If Android L is so important getting the existing S' on it quickly makes more sense than launching a new tablet. But I don't think the masses care. If they did HTC wouldn't still be hemorrhaging sales after positioning themselves as the "fastest" OEM at updates. The S' claim to fame are their exclusive AMOLED displays. That's what you'll see advertised over the holidays.

Samsung's working on 10" 4K tablets displays that'll need 5433/S-805. That's most likely going to be the "next big thing." And the Note tablets need a refresh so logically they're next up to bat and they have a loyal following and drive higher margins.. As for a faster LTE-A tablet, I'd be surprised if even 30% of the tablets Samsung sells have cellular modems. And if high-end tablet sales are price depressed making them even more expensive seems illogical.

Trying to guess Samsung's next move is a fools game. If they make something you like buy it and be happy. The launch of the S' didn't change the features and usability of the Pro's one bit.
    I haven't read this anywhere, it's just my own personal view based on Samsungs previous behaviour.

While the Tab S seems to be a great piece of kit it looks to me like sales haven't been great (tracking numerous used sales sites they do not sell particularly quickly, I've even seen units listed for 3+ weeks - and I know the unit is still available because I've e-mailed the sellers).

Given Samsung abandoned the PRO series pretty quickly for poor sales how many people think Samsung may use the opportunity of the launch of Android L (speculated for this month) to abandon the S series and launch a new 'latest greatest' version to replace it?

The fact that so many markets don't have 'official' 32GB units shows the amount of product in the channel that hasn't sold through yet.

Thoughts?
    Sorry. I find this mildly absurd. In recent years, Samsung has a good track record of updating all of their flagship products, even if it does take a while. If this were a midrange or budget product, I'd totally agree with you. Samsung doesn't update it's budget products. In this case, though, I think you're way off base. If the Galaxy Note 8.0 and original 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 (both crap sellers) got KitKat, the Tab S line will get L. This isn't even a question in my mind.
    Barry doesn't just talk for the sake of being heard.

He backs everything up with factual, common sense, analysis.

Most of the time; there's usually opinion added with some personal extrapolation.

Over and out. ;)
    Samsung did this with the P6800 a few years back, did one subsequent software update then nothing.

That's not really a valid comparison. The S', based on distribution and marketing spend alone, are clearly mass market products. The Tab 7.7 was a niche product, not unlike the Galaxy Round, Korean-only LTE-A devices, and probably the Note Edge. All Samsung's high-end tablets from less than a year ago to present share most of the same h/w and s/w components. The Tab 7.7 shared nothing with any other Samsung device and was priced higher than 10" high-end tablets when it was released. If it didn't get updated it was because there weren't enough in circulation for Samsung to be bothered. Any L update will serve the N10.1-14, Pro's, and S' equally so, while not impossible, it would be bizarre if all of them didn't get Android L.

From Engadget...
    Really, our biggest caveat is that it's expensive, even compared to mid-range models like the $350 7.0 Plus. The 7.7 isn't a plaything for mainstream consumers, but people who care deeply about laying claim to the latest and greatest gadgets, and are willing to pay dearly for the privilege. As any early adopter would tell you, getting burned on price is just one trade-off to scoring bragging rights. Indeed, such enthusiasts might well decide that nearly $250 premium over mid-range tablets is worth the long battery life, brisk performance and brilliant display. So is that you? Do you need the best that badly? We'll let you do some soul-searching and chew on that*for a bit.​

So I would advice you to keep that order as you'll love the tablet. Hopefully you do :p. The built in TV remote & TV guide features are great as well. And no doubt the Android L update will crank it up a notch.

Hey, thanks for replying! The device actually came last Friday and I absolutely love it. Sure, it lags here and there, but nothing too bad at all. I thought that after buying it I'll probably still play with my iPad Air while I still have it. Turns out, the iPad has been sitting there collecting dust and every now and then I pick up my new Galaxy Tab S.

I thought that I'd miss some apps from iOS (mostly games), but it's amazing how much android tablet support has evolved - I found literally no games that I missed, as they all seem to have an Android port.

Also I completely agree on the build - Tab S does feel much better in hand, even though it's plastic. I guess that may be because it feels warm to touch.

The screen is GORGEOUS, it's beyond belief. When I played that demo video they have I just said "holy ****".

So far, really happy with my decision, and the iPad air is already on eBay :D