Splash Screen tool to create rgb565 images from any image

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
Hey guys, here's a .NET application that lets you convert any image into a proper 320x480xR5G6B5 image. Similar to the rgb2565 tool, but it handles all resizing, centering, and color conversion for you. It also let's you preview the image.
If you have Mono, this application should work in Linux/Mac as well.

Source code and binaries can be found here: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/12/quick-and-dirty-converter-tool-to.html

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Hey guys, here's a Windows tool that lets you convert any image into a proper 320x480xR5G6B5 image. Similar to Stericson's rgb565 tool, but it handles all resizing, centering, and color conversion for you. It also let's you preview the image.

Source code and binaries attached. I'm looking into compiling a fastboot tool for Windows.
Koush, let me know how the fastboot thing goes. I was actually able to get a fastboot.exe to compile using cygwin... but it just doesn't work :). I never could get it to see the device. I didn't really look into it too much after that though.

Also, thanks for the RGB565 tool. That makes it a lot easier :D

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RecDev - Godfa
Nov 10, 2008
Great going Koush! I really hope you get the fastboot working! I also tried and failed hooribly :) If you do get it working it would simplify the process alot!

Stericson

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Great going Koush! I really hope you get the fastboot working! I also tried and failed hooribly :) If you do get it working it would simplify the process alot!

Stericson
Yeah :) I'm actually primarily a Windows user. But luckily VMWare is pretty awesome, and I can do everything in there that I need to do, including flashing a real phone using fastboot!

More instructions here:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/10/developing-and-debugging-android.html

You guys used Cygwin? When you say it didn't work, what do you mean? Crash or no effect? I was thinking about trying to just port it into Visual Studio rather than try to use Cygwin within the Android build environment. I don't think there are that many dependencies for that to really be a problem.

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
You guys used Cygwin? When you say it didn't work, what do you mean? Crash or no effect? I was thinking about trying to just port it into Visual Studio rather than try to use Cygwin within the Android build environment. I don't think there are that many dependencies for that to really be a problem.
Yeah, the fastboot.exe just won't see the device. It runs, and if you don't provide arguments it will output the usage, but fastboot devices won't show the phone. I didn't try to debug the exe to troubleshoot exactly why it didn't work though. I may do that sometime this week, since I'll have a lot of free time :).

If you want a copy of the (non-working) exe, just let me know.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Yeah, the fastboot.exe just won't see the device. It runs, and if you don't provide arguments it will output the usage, but fastboot devices won't show the phone. I didn't try to debug the exe to troubleshoot exactly why it didn't work though. I may do that sometime this week, since I'll have a lot of free time :).

If you want a copy of the (non-working) exe, just let me know.
Haven't had time to delve into this yet, but I think to do driver level stuff without a proper cert, you need to put your system into a test mode? Maybe similar to the Android x64 drivers that are unsigned?

gwydionwaters

Jun 3, 2009
i can't seem to compile this tool on mac using mono.

i get an error that the type name space name windows does not exist in the name space system