• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Sprint GS6 Stuck on initial Boot Screen (No recovery mode)

Search This thread

strike1nc

Apr 13, 2017
I have a Sprint gs6 that like many others is stuck on the initial boot screen. I have scoured the internet for ideas and tricks, but nothing I'm doing works. This is my last ditch effort since the phone is out of warranty and I have to either pay Samsung to fix it if I can figure this out. I've installed firmware on phones before and such so I'm familiar but not 100% pro at this.

Here are the details: Phone was in use running an app and then randomly it rebooted but it got stuck on the Samsung logo. Its my son's phone so I don't think he tried anything else but I can't be 100% sure.
This is the phone info in download mode
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G920P
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
FRP LOCK: ON
Secure Download : Enabled
KNOW WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0x0000)
AP SWREV: B:4 K:2 S:3

I've downloaded Odin 3.10.6 and have installed this file (G920PVPS4CQB1_G920PSPT4CQB1_G920PVPS4CQB1_HOME.tar.md5)
onto this phone.
BTW: THE ONLY thing I can do is get it into download mode.
For some reason even after installing this rom which says successful it still won't let me boot into recovery mode.

which works here is the log:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G920PVPS4CQB1_G920PSPT4CQB1_G920PVPS4CQB1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> sboot.bin
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> cm.bin
<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> system.img
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> modem.bin
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

I've tried to install twrp and cw but odin fails and the phone is basically preventing anything non standard. I can't do a fastboot because the phone is not operable .

I don't get it!?!?!?! the stock firmware loads with no problem but it still gets stuck on that boot screen.

ANY ideas????

Last edited:

g4_e

Mar 17, 2016
I have a Sprint gs6 that like many others is stuck on the initial boot screen. I have scoured the internet for ideas and tricks, but nothing I'm doing works. This is my last ditch effort since the phone is out of warranty and I have to either pay Samsung to fix it if I can figure this out. I've installed firmware on phones before and such so I'm familiar but not 100% pro at this.

Here are the details: Phone was in use running an app and then randomly it rebooted but it got stuck on the Samsung logo. Its my son's phone so I don't think he tried anything else but I can't be 100% sure.
This is the phone info in download mode
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G920P
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
FRP LOCK: ON
Secure Download : Enabled
KNOW WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0x0000)
AP SWREV: B:4 K:2 S:3

I've downloaded Odin 3.10.6 and have installed this file (G920PVPS4CQB1_G920PSPT4CQB1_G920PVPS4CQB1_HOME.tar.md5)
onto this phone.
BTW: THE ONLY thing I can do is get it into download mode.
For some reason even after installing this rom which says successful it still won't let me boot into recovery mode.

which works here is the log:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G920PVPS4CQB1_G920PSPT4CQB1_G920PVPS4CQB1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> sboot.bin
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> cm.bin
<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> system.img
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> modem.bin
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

I've tried to install twrp and cw but odin fails and the phone is basically preventing anything non standard. I can't do a fastboot because the phone is not operable .

I don't get it!?!?!?! the stock firmware loads with no problem but it still gets stuck on that boot screen.

ANY ideas????
Leave the phone while its boot looping until the battery runs out and it shuts off. Then charge to around 10 or 20 percent without turning the phone off. Then unplug and hold power home and volume UP. Keep holding until a recovery shows and then factory reset. Then reboot and if its still boot looping try going back into download mode and re flashing the firmware.

strike1nc

Apr 13, 2017
Thanks, but no luck

Leave the phone while its boot looping until the battery runs out and it shuts off. Then charge to around 10 or 20 percent without turning the phone off. Then unplug and hold power home and volume UP. Keep holding until a recovery shows and then factory reset. Then reboot and if its still boot looping try going back into download mode and re flashing the firmware.

I left it charging for 50 mins not sure how long it would take to get to 10/20%, but figured that was long enough. The problem is that its not really rebooting.
even after I hold down Vol Down and power to shut it of within 2 sec. it turns itself back on. The phone just hangs on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Logo and sticks there I tried tricking it to power off and on download mode cancel right away going to vol up but it won't go into recovery no matter what I've tried. I've tested the download of the Fireware with 3.10.6, 3.10.7, 3.11.1 and 3.12.5 of odin and nothing is working. I think this phone is done :( ughhh

I've even tried to kill the battery then while holding down VOL UP, Home, PWR I have someone else plug the phone in and still won't go into recovery. I don't get how it is preventing to go into Recovery mode. I know that if I could get into that I would be fine. WHY did the this lame s6 have to come with no SD Card.....

strike1nc

Apr 13, 2017
But no Recovery also?

The reason why you can install a custom recovery is because the FRP lock is on.

but why is it not letting me into recovery mode. The stock firmware works, but it just hangs on this logo? Does that feature also block that. When I look over the FRP Lock everyone in videos can get into recovery option no problem!

Poebat

Jan 15, 2016
but why is it not letting me into recovery mode. The stock firmware works, but it just hangs on this logo? Does that feature also block that. When I look over the FRP Lock everyone in videos can get into recovery option no problem!
Power + Vol up and down. The second the screen turns off let go of the Vol Down and power button and press the home button. That should put you in recovery mode.

strike1nc

Apr 13, 2017
Bummer

Power + Vol up and down. The second the screen turns off let go of the Vol Down and power button and press the home button. That should put you in recovery mode.

man something I hadn't tried in this sequence, but after trying still powers up to logo and no change. I tried holding down for a solid minute just now.
I wish I could post video of link me doing this to confirm I'm doing it right, but I'm pretty sure I was doing it right....

Bummer I was excited to try something new....

Thanks for reply this is so odd never seen a phone do this.

Poebat

Jan 15, 2016
man something I hadn't tried in this sequence, but after trying still powers up to logo and no change. I tried holding down for a solid minute just now.
I wish I could post video of link me doing this to confirm I'm doing it right, but I'm pretty sure I was doing it right....

Bummer I was excited to try something new....

Thanks for reply this is so odd never seen a phone do this.
When the screen turns off try Home + Vol Down. Tell me what happens.

strike1nc

Apr 13, 2017
Last edited:

Poebat

Jan 15, 2016
When I do the VOL Down and PWR it shuts off I let go and within 1-2 sec. MAX it turns itself on and get stuck on the logo screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh2nqso7k189evg/20170414_150830.mp4?dl=0

after I turn it off I know it looks like I'm trying to hold down keys, but I didn't actually press any of them it turned itself on before.
Yeah, in not sure about turning it off completely. Vol Down and up + power is supposed to force restart the phone. Try Vol Down + Vol up.

Edit: ignore all that ^. I tried it myself and I see your issue. Try power + vol up and down + home. Then when the screen turns off Press Vol up + home button. That worked for me

Last edited:

eligoren

Jan 30, 2018
sorry had to send back to samsung for repair.
it was defective i tried everything and i mean everything.

what was the problem? according to samsung....

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Need to let phone die completely! All. The. Way.

Then reboot to recovery and factory reset.

I cannot get into recovery now
do u think i will after draining the battery?

crazynapkinman

Jun 16, 2014
OnePlus 8
what was the problem? according to samsung....

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I cannot get into recovery now
do u think i will after draining the battery?

Yes. It should reboot like normal after full drain and charging up to 10 percent. Initial start will take a bit. Watch the LED. Is it pulsing? Will be easier to tell in a darker room.

If it's pulsing, let it go for a while. Will eventually boot. Wait up to 20 minutes.

Last edited:

eligoren

Jan 30, 2018
Yes. It should reboot like normal after full drain and charging up to 10 percent. Initial start will take a bit. Watch the LED. Is it pulsing? Will be easier to tell in a darker room.

If it's pulsing, let it go for a while. Will eventually boot. Wait up to 20 minutes.

i have done what you have suggested.
the thing is... as soon as i plug the phone back to the charger it powers up
i cannot control it and let it charge for 10 min. before power on.

nhail47

Feb 7, 2016
Indianapolis
If you can get to Download mode, reflash the stock firmware depending which version of Android you were on.

To get to recovery, I have always had to press Down + Home + Power. When it asks to either continue or reboot, reboot then hold Up + Home + Power then let go of power as soon as it starts up

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
NO
as soon as i force a reset (power+vol dwn) or drain battery and connect power, it goes to boot screen and stay there.
no charging screen (since you need to stay in power-down state to get this...)

Te post below is correct. Put your device in download mode and let go of ALL the buttons. Place your fingers over the Home, Vol Up, & Power buttons. Tap Power down to exit download mode and SOON as the screen starts to turn off, press & hold those 3 buttons until it goes into recovery. You'll have the factory recovery installed but I believe you might still be able to do a wipe. So if you get it into recovery just go ahead and wipe it or a factory reset. Whatever you can wipe just do it. You have nothing to lose but if you ticked the wrong buttons in Odin that's your issue. Sounds like you probably checked the repartition button? Maybe not but if you do or did then the device will NOT boot unless you wipe it in recovery. If you get that far then reboot your phone. The operating system is already installed.

If you can get to Download mode, reflash the stock firmware depending which version of Android you were on.

To get to recovery, I have always had to press Down + Home + Power. When it asks to either continue or reboot, reboot then hold Up + Home + Power then let go of power as soon as it starts up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NO
    as soon as i force a reset (power+vol dwn) or drain battery and connect power, it goes to boot screen and stay there.
    no charging screen (since you need to stay in power-down state to get this...)

Te post below is correct. Put your device in download mode and let go of ALL the buttons. Place your fingers over the Home, Vol Up, & Power buttons. Tap Power down to exit download mode and SOON as the screen starts to turn off, press & hold those 3 buttons until it goes into recovery. You'll have the factory recovery installed but I believe you might still be able to do a wipe. So if you get it into recovery just go ahead and wipe it or a factory reset. Whatever you can wipe just do it. You have nothing to lose but if you ticked the wrong buttons in Odin that's your issue. Sounds like you probably checked the repartition button? Maybe not but if you do or did then the device will NOT boot unless you wipe it in recovery. If you get that far then reboot your phone. The operating system is already installed.

sorry had to send back to samsung for repair.
    it was defective i tried everything and i mean everything.