Sprint has released Pie for S8 and S8+, flashing worked perfectly on my AT&T S8+

Search This thread

sean8102

Aug 4, 2008
Hot Springs
Hey guys I just got done flashing the G955USQU5DSC1 Android Pie Firmware that Sprint released for the S8/S8+ (and Note 8). The steps are below if you want to do it It's your risk and since we just had the first US carrier push the Pie update the others should be close behind but if you want it now this works perfectly. At least it did for me and for a few others I saw on reddit. I was able to do so without wiping my phone either, no data loss at all. Everything is working perfect, AT&T bootscreen, Wi-Fi calling, VOLTE etc.

Step 1: First off download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for Mobile Phones https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows if you don't have them installed already (reboot after installing them) Use "SamFirm" to download the Sprint Firmware (no throttled download speed like most sites etc) I used v0.3.6 https://bit.ly/2Gso6QQ

Step 2: Launch "SamFirm" (I set the Auto/Manual check box to Auto) and input your model number (Settings>About Phone) or SM-G950U for S8 and SM-G955U for S8+

Step 3: In the "Region" field of "SamFirm" application put in "SPR" for Sprint, and click "Check Update". When you're ready to download it should look like this (G-950U for S8 instead of S8+) When you click download it will ask where to save the Firmware, I just saved to my Downloads folder.
iTM45Ja.png

Step 4: Once the Firmware download and decryption process is complete you can close "SamFirm". Go to where you told the app to download the firmware, right click it and click extract. Now it's time to use ODIN. At this point if you just want to be extra safe I would use Samsung SmartSwitch app on your phone to create a backup of your phone either to your MicroSD card (easiest) or to your PC. This will backup App /w app data, home screen layout, settings, documents, music (not needed if on your SD card) etc. But I didn't loose any data or have a reset when I did this.

Step 5: Download and open ODIN, I used ODIN 3 v3.13.1. Do the usual of clicking BL/AP/CP etc. then point ODIN to that file of the Firmware that is inside the folder you extracted (ODIN will take a second to scan each file as you add it, just wait for it to finish). For CSC make sure you select CSC do NOT select HOME CSC. If you select HOME CSC it will wipe your data/reset your phone. Also do not select the USERDATA file. Leave USERDATA blank in ODIN (at least for AT&T and Verizon users who this guide is for).
Vigv2yA.png

Step 6: Boot your device into download mode. Power off your S8/S8+, then press power and hold power, volume down, and bixby button at the same time. You should very quickly get a blue screen, release the buttons. The screen will say press volume up to continue, do so. Now plug your S8/S8+ into your PC. ODIN should show a blue square under ID:COM like in the previous photo. If ODIN looks the same as my screen shot while you're in Download mode you're ready to go. Now just hit start and wait for the process to complete fully. When it dose finish your phone will reboot and ODIN will show a green square with the word "PASS".
5QSzrn2.png

It may take a bit longer than normal for your phone to boot this first time. Also the first time my S8+ rebooted I wound up in the recovery menu, but simply hit the power button since the first selected item is "reboot phone" and the power button is the select button. If you get some white text at the bottom saying its doing something just wait for it to finish and when you get the reboot option hit the power button. That's it. After that my S8+ booted up just fine (this boot may be a bit longer as well but only this time) and I was at the lock screen. All my apps still installed, settings the same etc etc. Just like getting the update OTA.
M5xHlhF.jpg

Last edited:

UnboundGodz

Nov 2, 2017
Ive got an unlocked ATT S8+ and appear to be running into an issue when I fill in the info and select auto.
SamFirm v0.3.6.0
Error: Please specify a region
Checking firmware for SM-G955U/ATT/G955USQU1AQC9/G955UOYN1AQC9/G955USQU1AQC9/G955USQU1AQC9
Error: Could not send BinaryInform. Status code 200/400
Request was invalid. Are you sure the input data is correct?
Could not fetch info for SM-G955U/ATT. Please verify the input or use manual info

Thoughts?

Reactions: jungizzle

kemokemotow

Jan 31, 2017
Please read this instructions

Just finished flashing on galaxy s8 SM-G950u unlocked Verizon.it worked like a magic for me .BUT faced some issues like :
* after downloading firmware using samfrim error was crc not match please redownload file.
-Solution: download firmware without crc check option.
*after download and decryption. Trying to extract the downloaded file error msg ( file is corrupted)
-Solution :download 7zip software to your pc and right click on downloaded firmware file then choose check crc when finish right click again and choose 7zip > extract now you will see more then 4 files.
When finishing even if there is error just ignore and follow (Sean8102) guide
After flashing and your device restart you will see error message ..don't panic just do wipe cash and reboot u
Your device..now you can enjoy with android pie and give middle finger to verizon late updates :)

UnboundGodz

Nov 2, 2017
You have to choose SPR for CSC code because ATT does not have a pie rom for SM-955u

I flashed it yesterday without any issues over the drl7 beta. Process took 15-20 mins but work like a champ after booting up!

Alright thanks, Ill be giving it a go. Curious, what are the benefits to flashing this version?

kumayam

Jan 20, 2008
Alright thanks, Ill be giving it a go. Curious, what are the benefits to flashing this version?
Theres no benefit, it's the 9.0 pie rom update. If u tried the beta versions, it's the same except some
bug fixes. The branded ROMs are all the same, they Just add their own bloatware and other BS but other than that snapdragon rom is the same but are different than exynos rom versions.

Reactions: UnboundGodz

UnboundGodz

Nov 2, 2017
So im doing something wrong, or the files just wont work for my version.

I've placed my device into Downloading Mode with two methods, using adb and the volume down, Bixby, and power button. But for some reason it appears to fail while connecting. Thoughts?
WsDTiEj.jpg

Last edited:

kumayam

Jan 20, 2008
So im doing something wrong, or the files just wont work for my version.

I've placed my device into Downloading Mode with two methods, using adb and the volume down, Bixby, and power button. But for some reason it appears to fail while connecting. Thoughts?
WsDTiEj.jpg

Try to re-install Samsung drivers and see if your data cable is broken or try a different one

UnboundGodz

Nov 2, 2017
Have u tried a different Odin? I'm using princecomsey version

I havent, but I am now. Also ran as Admin if it helps. Will edit when I know more.

EDIT: Appears I just am not getting lucky here. Unsure as to why this is happening, is there anything on my device I should enable/disable for this process?
IB87HMr.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

Have u tried a different Odin? I'm using princecomsey version
Updated prior message, appreciate the help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I just got done flashing the G955USQU5DSC1 Android Pie Firmware that Sprint released for the S8/S8+ (and Note 8). The steps are below if you want to do it It's your risk and since we just had the first US carrier push the Pie update the others should be close behind but if you want it now this works perfectly. At least it did for me and for a few others I saw on reddit. I was able to do so without wiping my phone either, no data loss at all. Everything is working perfect, AT&T bootscreen, Wi-Fi calling, VOLTE etc.

Step 1: First off download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for Mobile Phones https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows if you don't have them installed already (reboot after installing them) Use "SamFirm" to download the Sprint Firmware (no throttled download speed like most sites etc) I used v0.3.6 https://bit.ly/2Gso6QQ

Step 2: Launch "SamFirm" (I set the Auto/Manual check box to Auto) and input your model number (Settings>About Phone) or SM-G950U for S8 and SM-G955U for S8+

Step 3: In the "Region" field of "SamFirm" application put in "SPR" for Sprint, and click "Check Update". When you're ready to download it should look like this (G-950U for S8 instead of S8+) When you click download it will ask where to save the Firmware, I just saved to my Downloads folder.
    iTM45Ja.png

Step 4: Once the Firmware download and decryption process is complete you can close "SamFirm". Go to where you told the app to download the firmware, right click it and click extract. Now it's time to use ODIN. At this point if you just want to be extra safe I would use Samsung SmartSwitch app on your phone to create a backup of your phone either to your MicroSD card (easiest) or to your PC. This will backup App /w app data, home screen layout, settings, documents, music (not needed if on your SD card) etc. But I didn't loose any data or have a reset when I did this.

Step 5: Download and open ODIN, I used ODIN 3 v3.13.1. Do the usual of clicking BL/AP/CP etc. then point ODIN to that file of the Firmware that is inside the folder you extracted (ODIN will take a second to scan each file as you add it, just wait for it to finish). For CSC make sure you select CSC do NOT select HOME CSC. If you select HOME CSC it will wipe your data/reset your phone. Also do not select the USERDATA file. Leave USERDATA blank in ODIN (at least for AT&T and Verizon users who this guide is for).
    Vigv2yA.png

Step 6: Boot your device into download mode. Power off your S8/S8+, then press power and hold power, volume down, and bixby button at the same time. You should very quickly get a blue screen, release the buttons. The screen will say press volume up to continue, do so. Now plug your S8/S8+ into your PC. ODIN should show a blue square under ID:COM like in the previous photo. If ODIN looks the same as my screen shot while you're in Download mode you're ready to go. Now just hit start and wait for the process to complete fully. When it dose finish your phone will reboot and ODIN will show a green square with the word "PASS".
    5QSzrn2.png

It may take a bit longer than normal for your phone to boot this first time. Also the first time my S8+ rebooted I wound up in the recovery menu, but simply hit the power button since the first selected item is "reboot phone" and the power button is the select button. If you get some white text at the bottom saying its doing something just wait for it to finish and when you get the reboot option hit the power button. That's it. After that my S8+ booted up just fine (this boot may be a bit longer as well but only this time) and I was at the lock screen. All my apps still installed, settings the same etc etc. Just like getting the update OTA.
    M5xHlhF.jpg
    Awesome, glad to hear it worked! Last time I flashed my AT&T S8+ over to a U1 ROM I had a heck of a time getting back to a official AT&T ROM setup. Mainly due to finding AT&T USERDATA files that went with bootloader 5, for some reason the AT&T userdata files seem the hardest of the US carriers to find online. It was a pain having no Wi-fi calling esp since coverage at my house is not that great, and its nice having all the other features as well. Wish AT&T were not jerks though and let Wi-Fi calling work on unlocked phones, its the main reason I don't get one :(
    Ive got an unlocked ATT S8+ and appear to be running into an issue when I fill in the info and select auto.

Thoughts?

You have to choose SPR for CSC code because ATT does not have a pie rom for SM-955u

I flashed it yesterday without any issues over the drl7 beta. Process took 15-20 mins but work like a champ after booting up!
    @sean8102

FYI - I followed these steps last night with my Unlocked G955U1 S8+

It worked 100%

I had been running a stitched together beta AllCarriers One UI ROM from over in the Verizon section over here for the last few months.

My goal yesterday was to wipe data and have a true / authentic ATT user experience with Pie so as to ensure my WiFi calling and VoLTE services continued, and got regular OTA updates and have everything working 100%. And so far, it looks to be the case. I'm still unlocked and can flash any other recent ROM I see fit it looks like. For now, I'm content having 100% working official One Pie ATT experience and working WiFi calling and VoLTE on my U1, even if the phone does not identify itself as a U1 right now :)

Note: The only thing I did different was i purposely flashed the HOME CSC, and did a Wipe System and Wipe Cache (x2) to ensure I was starting 100% stock fresh, and that worked just fine.
    I followed your guide successfully, will I continue to receive Ota updates as usual as they are released in the future?

Yes you should be able too because it's the same rom att put out and pretty much all the branded US carriers, only difference is bloatware.