• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Sprint LG V40 ThinQ

Search This thread

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos
Hey man, I saw the post about doing this but my question is, will I be able to use a sim card from a different carrier or it will just install the latest software? I have the v40 from sprint and can't find a way to unlock it.

No this will not carrier unlock the V40 you have to talk to Sprint about that, but if you sim unlock on stock Sprint Oreo, you may lose it when crossflashing to US unlocked Pie

raymondharig

Nov 20, 2014
Yes indeed they are idiots.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them idiots, just SLOW when it comes to updates. I want to switch service providers but sprint and t-mobile are eventually merging, and they will most likely be the first to roll out the 5g network in my area. the fact that i still have oreo isn't THAT big of a deal, because i don't use any apps that are incompatible *yet. I just wish sprint would get the lead out and release the pie update, almost everyone else has.

farfromuman

May 23, 2008
PIE on the V40 is actually worse than Oreo. Only a couple of the new PIE features are in the ROM, all the major stuff was skipped.
PIE takes away the ability to change to the low power location mode so Google can ping GPS all day for location logging and drain your battery faster. It also limits the wifi scanning frequency for the scanner aps so they are now useless and at work I have to use another phone for setups.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Jwalker1897

Jul 29, 2021
LG V50 ThinQ
In case anyone is still watching this thread, I am new to XDA forums. Have an LG V40 Thinq from Sprint, they recommend that I upgrade to a new device, I can but really love my V40. Can the Sprint version be ported to the T-Mobile network? They tell me that It cant. signed "FREE ---my V40, to hell with BRITNEY!!!" Kidding btw, case anybody takes offence.... ;-)

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
In case anyone is still watching this thread, I am new to XDA forums. Have an LG V40 Thinq from Sprint, they recommend that I upgrade to a new device, I can but really love my V40. Can the Sprint version be ported to the T-Mobile network? They tell me that It cant. signed "FREE ---my V40, to hell with BRITNEY!!!" Kidding btw, case anybody takes offence.... ;-)
Same question here!
If I understand it correctly, Qualcomm phones have all existing frequencies built in their chips, some obviously hidden/blocked to make it work only on specific network. So why wouldn't the v40 (unlocked) work on T-Mobile if I'm not bothered with 5G at this moment?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Same question here!
If I understand it correctly, Qualcomm phones have all existing frequencies built in their chips, some obviously hidden/blocked to make it work only on specific network. So why wouldn't the v40 (unlocked) work on T-Mobile if I'm not bothered with 5G at this moment?

If t-mobile is telling you that, it's not true. The sprint device, at&t, verizon are all basically the same, but they have slightly different firmware.

I'd suggest to flash the US Open Pie kdz (there isn't a Q version of it), or, if you're feeling adventurous and want Q, then flash the Korean Open kdz and use the OP partition from US Open Pie to basically get Us Open Q.

The v40 is a great device, very capable. Unfortunately, LG devices have a proprietary IMS stack, which means Lineage or any aosp Rom cannot implement VOWIFI or VOLTE, which means having to stick with the last available version (and security patch) that was put out by the oem.

Oh , and btw, if you go the korean open / OP from US Open, band 71 DOES work! Yes, shocking, but the korean open does support it, even though there is no band 71 in korea!

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: nyttliv7

Jwalker1897

Jul 29, 2021
LG V50 ThinQ
If t-mobile is telling you that, it's not true. The sprint device, at&t, verizon are all basically the same, but they have slightly different firmware.

I'd suggest to flash the US Open Pie kdz (there isn't a Q version of it), or, if you're feeling adventurous and want Q, then flash the Korean Open kdz and use the OP partition from US Open Pie to basically get Us Open Q.

The v40 is a great device, very capable. Unfortunately, LG devices have a proprietary IMS stack, which means Lineage or any aosp Rom cannot implement VOWIFI or VOLTE, which means having to stick with the last available version (and security patch) that was put out by the oem.

Oh , and btw, if you go the korean open / OP from US Open, band 71 DOES work! Yes, shocking, but the korean open does support it, even though there is no band 71 in korea!

cheers
Do I need to install the LGUP flash tool first, I am a bit naïve with this. Thank you so much much for all the info btw, a little searching of what you've shared and I've already learned alot!

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Do I need to install the LGUP flash tool first, I am a bit naïve with this. Thank you so much much for all the info btw, a little searching of what you've shared and I've already learned alot!

Yes, for LG devices, you need the lgup software tool to upgrade or crossflash a kdz (LG's proprietary firmware files).

This is the way we learn. It does pay to read many of the posts in a 'guide' to know what probs others have had, if there are any mistakes in the guide, etc.

cheers

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth

cheers
I have the US Open on my Sprint v40. Just wondering if it's nessesery to change to T-Mobile APN?

Top Liked Posts