Sprint plans to start throttling top 5%

Search This thread

Abu Nazir

Apr 3, 2013
Just found this article a few hours ago and thought i would share this with u guys. Makes me absolutely furious since i just switched to sprint. I could of went with another carrier that doesnt have a crap network if i knew they were going to renege on the one thing that sets them apart from everyone else. Dont know about u guys but i will def b terminating my contract and, hell, just go back to net10. What do u guys think?? They will start throttling the top 5% heaviest users on 6/1/2014. Which to me means anyone who uses over 5-7gig a month, which i can use in a day. Lol. :) Well anyway here it is....

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sprint-throttling-heavy-data-users/

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
Just found this article a few hours ago and thought i would share this with u guys. Makes me absolutely furious since i just switched to sprint. I could of went with another carrier that doesnt have a crap network if i knew they were going to renege on the one thing that sets them apart from everyone else. Dont know about u guys but i will def b terminating my contract and, hell, just go back to net10. What do u guys think?? They will start throttling the top 5% heaviest users on 6/1/2014. Which to me means anyone who uses over 5-7gig a month, which i can use in a day. Lol. :) Well anyway here it is....

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sprint-throttling-heavy-data-users/

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Free mobile app

read carefully they are only doing it on congested towers and after the congestion goes down or you connect to a different tower that isn't congested you are no longer throttled

this is a quote from the fierce wireless site

"The approach "will enable us to provide more customers with a high quality data experience during heavy usage times," Sprint said in a statement sent to FierceWirelessTech. "Once the customer is no longer connected to a congested cell site, or the site is no longer congested, speeds will return to normal."

Last edited:

davec1234

May 22, 2010
Can they make it any worse? I guess they can.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

bonebeatz1234

Feb 5, 2010
rockford,il
If not not getting throttled yet then i hate. See when they do. Horrible service sprint should be ashamed I'll go back to tmobile now that they have unlimited if sprint don't get better my lte was fine. Until last month can't watch any youtube videos wtf. I wanna blame this lg g2 as the problem but now i believe sprint might be under the poor speeds

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

If im not getting throttled yet then i hate to See when they do. Horrible service sprint should be ashamed I'll go back to tmobile now that they have unlimited if sprint don't get better. my lte was fine Until last month i can't watch any youtube videos wtf. I wanna blame this on the lg g2 as the problem but now i believe sprint might be under the poor speeds

Reactions: Abu Nazir

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo
Saying a "tower is congested" is nonsense and if you believe that I have a bridge in brooklyn I can sell you for a dollar.

Who is determining this congestion? Sprint is. You are going to sit there and believe that they wont throttle everyone over a certain data usage amount? Why would they unthrottle you on a different tower? Cause they know the vast majority of people use the most data from home and/or work. Thats usually a few main towers your phone.connects to throught a day. All they have to say is "hmmm this user is over 5gb at home... throttled" and then can claim that that tower is congested 24/7 if they want to.

Who is sprint accountable to for proof? The customer? Like we have the data and can tell.

These carriers can do whatever they want and snow people about how data costs so much and its a mountain of lies. I just priced bandwidth again today from level 3 and cogent at .56 a GB. Stop believing the nonsense people. You are being apathetically spoonfed garbage about how expensive data it. The problem is the average consumer is wholly uneducated about data costs and the mobile carriers have all towed the line with press about how expensive it is to make you believe it.... its lies. All of it.

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
You are correct on that, the more I think about it the more I want to leave for someone like T-Mobile. I know about the possible merger but DT just said that if it falls flat they want 1 billion as a fee. That's money neither sprint nor softbank can afford right now

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app starting to miss my Gnex and the ease of Nexus devices

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
You guys maybe think the reason Sprint's network is slow is because of these data abusers on your towers during peak times? I use a bit of data myself but I think that this new policy will actually increase the network performance for most of us.
I'm all for this because I've experienced 0.6 Mbps on an LTE site because of data abusers and it made my experience with Sprint poor.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
You guys maybe think the reason Sprint's network is slow is because of these data abusers on your towers during peak times? I use a bit of data myself but I think that this new policy will actually increase the network performance for most of us.
I'm all for this because I've experienced 0.6 Mbps on an LTE site because of data abusers and it made my experience with Sprint poor.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Some of us use all our data during off hours (overnight here) but I bet you we will still be throttled. I use a average of 30gb a month, I'm at 20gb now and still have 11 days left on my billing cycle, and all of that is from Netflix and Pandora

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app starting to miss my Gnex and the ease of Nexus devices

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo

Sent from my LG-LS980

This is kind of what I am talking about. For a tower to actually be congested you have to have a fairly high populated area. If you are in a major city, sure a tower MIGHT be congested (and thats a big maybe). But most often in those situations the network is deployed with multiple towers. Think NYC or Chicago for example. Three towers might serve 1 square mile. However the vast majority of us dont live in areas like that. I have 3 towers within 3-4 miles of my home. It only serves a population of maybe 6,000 people. Now how many of those are sprint users? 10% Thats hardly congestion. Even at 50% the network would be fine. I bet I and my gf both get throttled 24/7 at home, and away from home and I am hardly in the top 5%.

There is no way in heck that this is going to be limited to the top 5% of users on congested towers.

We all need to stop repeating the spoon fed garbage these carriers feed us and get a bit more edcuated on how data really works. Its not what you believe it be. Tower congestion is a subjective issue. Sprint can simply just say it is. Where is the verification?

Aye there's the rub!

Reactions: Abu Nazir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Saying a "tower is congested" is nonsense and if you believe that I have a bridge in brooklyn I can sell you for a dollar.

Who is determining this congestion? Sprint is. You are going to sit there and believe that they wont throttle everyone over a certain data usage amount? Why would they unthrottle you on a different tower? Cause they know the vast majority of people use the most data from home and/or work. Thats usually a few main towers your phone.connects to throught a day. All they have to say is "hmmm this user is over 5gb at home... throttled" and then can claim that that tower is congested 24/7 if they want to.

Who is sprint accountable to for proof? The customer? Like we have the data and can tell.

These carriers can do whatever they want and snow people about how data costs so much and its a mountain of lies. I just priced bandwidth again today from level 3 and cogent at .56 a GB. Stop believing the nonsense people. You are being apathetically spoonfed garbage about how expensive data it. The problem is the average consumer is wholly uneducated about data costs and the mobile carriers have all towed the line with press about how expensive it is to make you believe it.... its lies. All of it.

Sent from my LG-LS980
    If not not getting throttled yet then i hate. See when they do. Horrible service sprint should be ashamed I'll go back to tmobile now that they have unlimited if sprint don't get better my lte was fine. Until last month can't watch any youtube videos wtf. I wanna blame this lg g2 as the problem but now i believe sprint might be under the poor speeds

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

If im not getting throttled yet then i hate to See when they do. Horrible service sprint should be ashamed I'll go back to tmobile now that they have unlimited if sprint don't get better. my lte was fine Until last month i can't watch any youtube videos wtf. I wanna blame this on the lg g2 as the problem but now i believe sprint might be under the poor speeds

Sent from my LG-LS980

This is kind of what I am talking about. For a tower to actually be congested you have to have a fairly high populated area. If you are in a major city, sure a tower MIGHT be congested (and thats a big maybe). But most often in those situations the network is deployed with multiple towers. Think NYC or Chicago for example. Three towers might serve 1 square mile. However the vast majority of us dont live in areas like that. I have 3 towers within 3-4 miles of my home. It only serves a population of maybe 6,000 people. Now how many of those are sprint users? 10% Thats hardly congestion. Even at 50% the network would be fine. I bet I and my gf both get throttled 24/7 at home, and away from home and I am hardly in the top 5%.

There is no way in heck that this is going to be limited to the top 5% of users on congested towers.

We all need to stop repeating the spoon fed garbage these carriers feed us and get a bit more edcuated on how data really works. Its not what you believe it be. Tower congestion is a subjective issue. Sprint can simply just say it is. Where is the verification?

Aye there's the rub!