Sprite Backup 6 - Worst ever

Applestar

Dec 8, 2006
Sorry to disturb you all - but in my opinion I never saw such a buggy application like Sprite Backup.

I used Version 5 and realized it would copy all ".vol" files before backup. These files store all your contact and calendar data and can be quite big. If you do not have enough free space on your device it will stop your backup. And keep the copy files on your device!

So you got a "pim.vol" for your calendar data and a "pim.volc" file as a copy. In my case I got a 6MB "pim.vol"-file and only 3.5MB left on the device. The backup would not finish but the files would remain!!

Well, now I tried version 6. Since I had a long discussion with the developer on version 5 I was sure they must have tested this to work. Wrong! I deelted SpB Backup and installed Sprite Backup to use a backup to a FTP server (which Spb would not offer...) Well, well. Again the backup failed (strangely enough I tested the FTP connection and it worked - but it would not work at backup time) Strangely enough I realized a lot of RAM missing on the device. Guess what? I found all these ".volc" files again. Copies of the original ".vol" files. Not deleted. Eating up a lot of space...!!!

OF course I deleted the Sprite Backup application via "Remove". And again: 600KB were still missing! I realized: It would NOT delete the folder "Sprite Backup" in "Application Data" on the device. 600KB of then useless software. A backup software that cannot even de-install itself correctly#?!# Any guestions??

Well, it did not end here: Since I use a german OS my storage card is named "Speicherkarte". Would you suggest that Sprite Backup would leave its logs at "Speicherkarte/Logs"? No, of course not. It would be on "Storage Card/Logs". Well, since my SD Cards location is "Speicherkarte" it would just generate the folder "Storage Card" and put the log files there. Great... NOT!

Whats the conclusion? Paid $10 for an upgrade. Very very disappointed about quality and reliability.

I can only recommend "Spb Backup" or probably every other backup application (e.g. SKTool) - but never ever again Sprite Backup. Big disappointment for 2 versions now.

I would love some feedback from the community since backup is crucial in my opinion...

aadadams

Jun 5, 2005
Burke VA
I bought the same upgrade and have it set to do scheduled backups nightly to my storage card. I have not had a problem with it. I use the english version. I wonder if anyone that uses the english version and backs up to FTP is around for comment.

Doom Tints

Jun 6, 2007
Yeah, Sprite Backup sucks. I don't think I ever got a viable backup created from it, either it would hang while doing the backup or what it backed up would not restore.

As you said, SPB backup is the thing to use.

Last edited:

Applestar

Dec 8, 2006
Well, well.

some more infos: The WM5->WM6 upgrade with Sprite Backup does not work. I tried it on the Herald (P4350) - and it worked 90% (without databases). But 90% is not enough. Some links do not work, some settings are corrupted beyond repair.

I forgot: De-installed Sprite Backup right now. Did a restart, well there it opened up again.. Cant believe, whats happening here... :(

Last edited:

nyspy

Sep 10, 2007
I bought Sprite Backup 6. I can't get it installed on my PC. The pda install works fine, but no help from the Sprite people who told me, "Reinstall it"..

Duh.. It won't install in the first place. (This is why I used an AMEX.. Chargeback for goods undelivered)

By the way, can someone recommend a good PDA backup utility that backups up to the computer automatically?

Last edited: