• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SSD vs. normal hard drive speeds

Search This thread
What are you hoping to achieve, obviously you can see the cost difference, but unless you've used them the speed difference may be harder to describe.
I have HD on my home PC, boot time and system start up is where I see the most difference.
SSD start up time is much faster. So you may be able to get an SSD for the system partition only, run your OS from the SSD and some key programs, then use HD for storage.
If cost is not a factor then you could go all out and get a higher capacity SSD and run everything from it

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
I am about to upgrade my hard drive and never tried before an SSD, so what members recommend on this?
Does it worth to move to an SSD? as I understand they're much more expensive than traditional ones.
Any suggestion is kindly appreciated :)
I'm using SSD's since 2013 and still using the Samsung SSD 840 120GB from that time together with another Samsung SSD 850 Evo + 2 M.2:

- Corsair Force MP510 240 GB, SSD NvME M.2
- Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB NVMe M.2

With the limited access time of HDD's and the limited speed compared to the very low prices of solid state drives you can't go wrong in any way except the storage, or GB per $/€/¥ which is still higher than HDD's.

But since you can get cheap SATAIII SSD's for 30 bucks or even M.2 ones for simply system partition hosting, you benefit in that way a lot and have a fast system experience 👍

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I am about to upgrade my hard drive and never tried before an SSD, so what members recommend on this?
Does it worth to move to an SSD? as I understand they're much more expensive than traditional ones.
Just make sure the interface is compatible. Older PCs may not be. Had that issue with a SATA hybrid hdd.
A SSD for the OS drive and a hdd as a data drive should work well.

Reactions: orb_selektor

orb_selektor

Forum Moderator - Welcomer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
What are you hoping to achieve, obviously you can see the cost difference, but unless you've used them the speed difference may be harder to describe.
I have HD on my home PC, boot time and system start up is where I see the most difference.
SSD start up time is much faster. So you may be able to get an SSD for the system partition only, run your OS from the SSD and some key programs, then use HD for storage.
If cost is not a factor then you could go all out and get a higher capacity SSD and run everything from it
Thanks for the advice mate, cost is an issue now, will consider your idea here.
Cheers
I'm using SSD's since 2013 and still using the Samsung SSD 840 120GB from that time together with another Samsung SSD 850 Evo + 2 M.2:

With the limited access time of HDD's and the limited speed compared to the very low prices of solid state drives you can't go wrong in any way except the storage, or GB per $/€/¥ which is still higher than HDD's.

But since you can get cheap SATAIII SSD's for 30 bucks or even M.2 ones for simply system partition hosting, you benefit in that way a lot and have a fast system experience 👍
So SSD it is!, thanks buddy, will check those ones for cheaper investment for now.
Gracias!
Just make sure the interface is compatible. Older PCs may not be. Had that issue with a SATA hybrid hdd.
Luckily not my case but good to consider!
Thanks

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
That's what I do. OS, Browsers and Games are o the SSD. Everything else is installed on my D: Drive

Reactions: andrewmurray86

svetius

User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
SSD is an absolute game changer. Going from HDD (even a fast 10k RPM one in RAID) to an SSD makes everything dramatically faster...even if you're just using a lot of Chrome etc. I'm using an NVMe drive, which is even faster than traditional SSD.

Youdoofus

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
i put SSD's in all my computers a bit ago and havent looked back. Only thing better is the M.2 stuff, and not all hardware supports it. SSD all the way

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i put SSD's in all my computers a bit ago and havent looked back. Only thing better is the M.2 stuff, and not all hardware supports it. SSD all the way
    Thanks for the advice mate, cost is an issue now, will consider your idea here.
    Cheers

So SSD it is!, thanks buddy, will check those ones for cheaper investment for now.
    Gracias!
    Luckily not my case but good to consider!
    Thanks