• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Standalone Android Auto Setup?

Search This thread

paulrockliffe

Sep 2, 2004
I have a Skoda Citigo, it came with a neat satnav/media device that is mounted to the dash, but isn't in a double-din slot. It's Navigon based, 8 years old and a million miles behind Android Auto. But the install is pretty neat.

I'd like to take a 7" touchscreen, 3D print a case and mount some hardware in place of the Navigon that lets me run Android Auto. Ideally I want it to work independent of my phone, but I also want it to seamlessly access data etc via my phone when I get in the car.

Is this possible? And if so, what should I look at in terms of hardware and a ROM etc to start getting it setup?

svetius

User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have a Skoda Citigo, it came with a neat satnav/media device that is mounted to the dash, but isn't in a double-din slot. It's Navigon based, 8 years old and a million miles behind Android Auto. But the install is pretty neat.

I'd like to take a 7" touchscreen, 3D print a case and mount some hardware in place of the Navigon that lets me run Android Auto. Ideally I want it to work independent of my phone, but I also want it to seamlessly access data etc via my phone when I get in the car.

Is this possible? And if so, what should I look at in terms of hardware and a ROM etc to start getting it setup?
Can't you just get any Android tablet (maybe a used Samsung Tab-A series) then run the Android Auto app on it inside of a tablet mount?

paulrockliffe

Sep 2, 2004
I can, that's an option, but I'm trying to get the setup as close to the factory setup as possible and as clean as possible. With a tablet I'd still need to do something to tie the power and audio into the factory pins, which are part of the mount, and dash top so I suspect it's easier to run on standalone hardware.

With a tablet running normal Android I'd need to setup a WiFi Hotspot on my phone that automatically turned on in the car and do something to the tablet so it turns on and loads straight into Android Auto with the ignition on. Might be possible, but not straightforward.

I have one eye on the future - if I want to do something that lets me use Android Auto, Torque, run dashcams or reversing cameras it's going to be a bit easier if the software is running on something like a Raspberrry Pi where I've got easy options for plugging hardware in.