StandAlone Windows Phone 7 Emulator (Microsoft XDE)

Search This thread

En1gma

Aug 17, 2006
Nizhny Novgorod
I don't wanna use monstrous VS2010 (which requires .net4 & silverlight4) on my home notebook so I found way to extract Microsoft XDE from "Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone CTP"
Attachment contains "extracted" from the package standalone emulator.

Just unpack attached zip and run sde_xde-enu.msi (if UAC is enabled you should start command promt and execute msiexec /i sde_xde-enu)
In MS terms install is silent so you don't need press "next" or "ok".
After install you find folder "%Program Files%\Microsoft XDE\" with Windows Phone 7 Emulator.
If you install the emulator on win x64 the path to emulator will look like this "%Program Files(x86)%\Microsoft XDE\".
The emulator will be installed both x86 and x64 but it seems that it does not work on x64 systems.
There is no WP7 images in archive so you must download it by yourself (original by M$ or patched version by Dan Ardelean).
Original image of WP7 by M$
Patched image of WP7 by Dan Ardelean mirror

After installing the application and download the file, you can run the emulator using the command:
Code:
"%Program Files%\Microsoft XDE\1.0\XDE.exe" %path_to_downloaded_image%
Despite the fact that it is installed on the XP, it only works on Vista and newer

step by step installation's guide by anarchyuk

Attachments

• Microsoft_XDE_v1.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 8,644
Last edited:
Reactions: AhmedElsharkawy

Tremayne024

Aug 21, 2009
Ajax
So will you need Visual Studio Express Edition and all that jazz to make this work? Or just this installation and the emulator image?

Btw great work :)

l2tp

Jan 23, 2007
tried, but does not work at all:

1) installed from msi
2) run FAR as administrator
3) copied original WM70C1.bin to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\1.0\"
4) in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\1.0\" typed:
Code:
XDE.exe WM70C1.bin
and nothing appeared, and no process xde.exe running in task manager
if i type XDE.exe without parameters, it shows its help screen, but if i run with any parameter (even if it is wrong) it shows nothing.
is this problem related only to my machine or somebody else is experiencing this also?

En1gma

Aug 17, 2006
Nizhny Novgorod
l2tp
hmm.. I've tried many times on different PCs (win vista sp1 and newer but only x86) and I've had no problems..
there is just one problem that I found it will not work on winXP

pm me if you have any IM. it's much easier to me to talk in Russian

En1gma

Aug 17, 2006
Nizhny Novgorod
hmm again..
i've just test the emulator in the virtual machine with installed w7 x64 - all the symptoms as l2tp described
I'll try to find x64 version tonight

hsclater

May 29, 2006
I installed this and it does not create the Microsoft XDE folder in program files....I am on Windows 7 x86. No error of anything. It did take a while and gave me a UAC prompt after a while.....

Edit: I enabled logging by running the msi with /log logfile.txt and it said:

vmmmsm_custom: Running custom action CA_InstallVMMDriver
vmmmsm_custom: Error creating VMM service, E = 6
CustomAction CA_InstallVMMDriver.3D2F911E_A60A_4C07_8F7D_5306DC073E9A returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 17:11:12: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
vmmmsm_custom: Running custom action CA_RemoveVMMDriver
vmmmsm_custom: There was an error stopping the VMM service. Run setup again after manually stopping the VMM service. (error code 6)
vmmmsm_custom: There was an error deleting the VMM service. The service has not been deleted. (error code 6)

I guess it is a problem with my machine with the virtual machine driver, but there seems to be no service...

Last edited:

En1gma

Aug 17, 2006
Nizhny Novgorod
today I'd installed CLEAN win vista sp2 business x86 on the virtual machine and then tested this emulator - all works fine but very slow

one more update - this installer conflicts with UAC (m$ suxxs one more time..)
if you install the full version of the VS2010 UAC's request appears at the beginning and everything is installed properly
but if you only install the emulator, then:
If UAC enabled installer says "all fine" but emulator doesn't install (see post hsclate)
If UAC disabled installer says "all fine" and emulator installs

Last edited:

hsclater

May 29, 2006
Thanks working now....you don;t have to disable UAC if you don't want to, just run an elevated command prompt and run from there, then it installed. Thanks for the pointer...

the-hq

Mar 26, 2010
tried, but does not work at all:

1) installed from msi
2) run FAR as administrator
3) copied original WM70C1.bin to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\1.0\"
4) in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\1.0\" typed:
Code:
XDE.exe WM70C1.bin
and nothing appeared, and no process xde.exe running in task manager
if i type XDE.exe without parameters, it shows its help screen, but if i run with any parameter (even if it is wrong) it shows nothing.
is this problem related only to my machine or somebody else is experiencing this also?

Same Problem for me here.
Running Win7 Professional x64

SaturnusDJ

Nov 2, 2007
Saw this emu-rip to late damn... After uninstalling all the "Microsoft Virtual Studio + I don't know how many crap from what Virtual Studio refused to uninstall via 'Programs and Features' so removed it kind of manually" the sde_xde-enu does not work anymore. While all that bullcrap was installed it actually did work...(@W7 x64)

En1gma

Aug 17, 2006
Nizhny Novgorod
Yesterday I tried to install VS2010 on win7 pro x64 and it seems that there is no x64 version of vs2010. Because the download is the same version as downloaded on win vista hp sp2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't wanna use monstrous VS2010 (which requires .net4 & silverlight4) on my home notebook so I found way to extract Microsoft XDE from "Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone CTP"
    Attachment contains "extracted" from the package standalone emulator.

Just unpack attached zip and run sde_xde-enu.msi (if UAC is enabled you should start command promt and execute msiexec /i sde_xde-enu)
    In MS terms install is silent so you don't need press "next" or "ok".
    After install you find folder "%Program Files%\Microsoft XDE\" with Windows Phone 7 Emulator.
    If you install the emulator on win x64 the path to emulator will look like this "%Program Files(x86)%\Microsoft XDE\".
    The emulator will be installed both x86 and x64 but it seems that it does not work on x64 systems.
    There is no WP7 images in archive so you must download it by yourself (original by M$ or patched version by Dan Ardelean).
    Original image of WP7 by M$
    Patched image of WP7 by Dan Ardelean mirror

After installing the application and download the file, you can run the emulator using the command:
    Code:
    "%Program Files%\Microsoft XDE\1.0\XDE.exe" %path_to_downloaded_image%
    Despite the fact that it is installed on the XP, it only works on Vista and newer

step by step installation's guide by anarchyuk