Question Standard power charging going on and off. Can't use Android Auto [work-around]

Search This thread

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've eventually find a way to get AA to work, but it's tedious and needs to be done each time.
* go to the dev configuration for USB and stay in it (the default setting can be charge only)
* plug the phone to the car.
* because of being in the configuration, the switch between connected/not connected will be slower (I have no idea why). Access to the USB config in the notification zone when you manage to click on it (you may have to remove some notifications to do it more easily)
* in that configuration panel select PTP, it will be reset to charge only when deconnecting/reconnecting but do it again and wait a bit each time
* it will stabilize and AA is usable
(first posted on https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/android-auto-oneplus-9-pro.1410394/page-3#post-23050622 )

I've just updated to v11.2.3.3LE15BA downloaded from the link found on the sticky repository post. I did the manual update to be able to flash the update with magisk before rebooting on it.
I'm going to see if it fixes AA for me.

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've eventually find a way to get AA to work, but it's tedious and needs to be done each time.
* go to the dev configuration for USB and stay in it (the default setting can be charge only)
* plug the phone to the car.
* because of being in the configuration, the switch between connected/not connected will be slower (I have no idea why). Access to the USB config in the notification zone when you manage to click on it (you may have to remove some notifications to do it more easily)
* in that configuration panel select PTP, it will be reset to charge only when deconnecting/reconnecting but do it again and wait a bit each time
* it will stabilize and AA is usable
(first posted on https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/android-auto-oneplus-9-pro.1410394/page-3#post-23050622 )

I've just updated to v11.2.3.3LE15BA downloaded from the link found on the sticky repository post. I did the manual update to be able to flash the update with magisk before rebooting on it.
I'm going to see if it fixes AA for me.
So… nope, not fixing AA.

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
I found a tedious work-around for AA :
* plug the phone to my car
* select the USB options in the notifications tray (that's the tedious part)
* select PTP, it will go back to only charging but that's not a problem
* wait a little, if AA does not stabilize, do the PTP selection again
* eventually it will stabilize

[sorry it's the same thing that 2 messages up. My thread was not updated in my browser. I think it's better explained than the previous messages, I'll link to it in the thread first message.]

fredskis

Dec 14, 2008
Brisbane
Are you able to buy a better cable to rule that out?
A USB 3.0 cable is actually going to perform worse than a high amperage USB 2.0 cable.
I would've guessed the OP3 cable might have worked given that dash charging back then was 20W but perhaps their "standard" changed with the newer/faster charging methods and the cable is now only able to deliver basic USB 2.0 charging to the OP9P.

Look for a good quality USB 2.0 cable (one of these brands from Amazon should do the trick: Aukey, Anker, Ugreen), make sure the description (and reviews) confirm it works with Android Auto and I would be very surprised if it didn't work.

When I started using AA on my car (Mazda MX-5) I went through my cables - not all of them would work, and some would sometimes work, other times not. After buying some quality ones (currently using UGREEN one as they make good right angle ones) I no longer have issues with any of my phones for the last few years.

Reactions: clavelm80

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
A USB 3.0 cable is actually going to perform worse than a high amperage USB 2.0 cable.
I would've guessed the OP3 cable might have worked given that dash charging back then was 20W but perhaps their "standard" changed with the newer/faster charging methods and the cable is now only able to deliver basic USB 2.0 charging to the OP9P.

Look for a good quality USB 2.0 cable (one of these brands from Amazon should do the trick: Aukey, Anker, Ugreen), make sure the description (and reviews) confirm it works with Android Auto and I would be very surprised if it didn't work.

When I started using AA on my car (Mazda MX-5) I went through my cables - not all of them would work, and some would sometimes work, other times not. After buying some quality ones (currently using UGREEN one as they make good right angle ones) I no longer have issues with any of my phones for the last few years.
So it's still the same thing with the new Oxygen OS version (11.2.4.4.LE15BA) and my Anker usb-a to usb-c usb3 cable.
And by replacing my cable by an Anker Powerline+ usb-a to usb-c usb2 one, it's still the same.
The problem is clearly software related as you can get it to work by some manipulation. I would just like oneplus to acknowledge it.
I only post in an existing thread on their community forum. I'm going to create a new one until someone answers me.
And I'll keep sending emails about it.

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
So it's still the same thing with the new Oxygen OS version (11.2.4.4.LE15BA) and my Anker usb-a to usb-c usb3 cable.
And by replacing my cable by an Anker Powerline+ usb-a to usb-c usb2 one, it's still the same.
The problem is clearly software related as you can get it to work by some manipulation. I would just like oneplus to acknowledge it.
I only post in an existing thread on their community forum. I'm going to create a new one until someone answers me.
And I'll keep sending emails about it.
The Anker USB-C to USB-A USB2 cable did solve the charging problem with the older power-bank by the way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go in developer options and set default USB settings to "no data transfer."
    I'm sorry I haven't been more help. Before I replied I went out to my car (2011 Kia Soul) and used my OEM OP cable and what I suggested worked like a charm. You said you tried 2 cables. Is one the OP?
    This thread concerns erroneous battery temperature readings for that phone.
    Their fix on pg 2 may help you.
    Thanks, that did set the battery info from overheat to normal. (y)

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone