Standby drain

w1000i

May 7, 2010
Jubail Ind
I'm not so sure, the OnePlus would drop 3-4 percent overnight and would be showing signs of Doze working. The mate 20 Pro stays awake even if the phone is not touched the whole time loose about 10 percent overnight
I am thinking that it happens if you have the on screen fingerprint set up and the smart thing that waits for you to move the phone or touch the screen. If you turn it off it should help.
Turn the phone on it screen down will improve the deep sleep as it sense it not been used.

yAxOr

Feb 21, 2010
I have started experiencing the same problem. After full charge, phone loses about 5% per hour at night, not being used. Battery actually lasts longer when i use the phone during the day. So last night i got from full 100% to 70% in 6-7 hours. The main reason i could find is "Cell Standby" and i still have no idea what this is. My routine with phone is not changed, mobile data and location are always on. With that, battery never went for more than 1-3% during the night.

So i tried one solution i found online, reset network settings and wipe cache files. Not helped.
I tried to factory reset the phone, still nothing changed.
I tested one night with mobile data off and wireless on, but the same Cell Standby drained the most of phones power.

Phone is Huawei Mate 20 Pro, dual sim, Android 10.0.0.197 LYA-L29.

Attachments

Jostian

Oct 21, 2010
Pretoria
I have started experiencing the same problem. After full charge, phone loses about 5% per hour at night, not being used. Battery actually lasts longer when i use the phone during the day. So last night i got from full 100% to 70% in 6-7 hours. The main reason i could find is "Cell Standby" and i still have no idea what this is. My routine with phone is not changed, mobile data and location are always on. With that, battery never went for more than 1-3% during the night.

So i tried one solution i found online, reset network settings and wipe cache files. Not helped.
I tried to factory reset the phone, still nothing changed.
I tested one night with mobile data off and wireless on, but the same Cell Standby drained the most of phones power.

Phone is Huawei Mate 20 Pro, dual sim, Android 10.0.0.197 LYA-L29.
try disabling 4G at night and see if it helps.

sysmart_pk

Jun 19, 2020
Lahore
Finally I traced problem with my network provider

In my case my Mate 20 pro LAY-L09 was consuming almost 22% of battery during 8 hours of sleep, and over all battery was draining 84% in 24 hours. As experiment I remove the sim and battery was consumed 1% in last night with WIFI. Then I replaced sim of other carrier and battery consumed 3% in last 8 hours, I also resorted all fingerprint, face, voice and default App Launch yet battery was consumed 5% in 7 hours. So problem was poor signal of my sim carrier.

Reactions: bodomfan

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
I'm surprised there are so few complaints about drain the last weeks or so. Many sites complain about the latest EMUI updates 10.0 and 10.1 resulting is drains. My phone started draining a week or so ago, suddenly noticed I'm ending the day around 20% instead of the usual 60. Anybody else noticed this?

Gungcho

Aug 4, 2017
I bought 1 month ago galaxy s20 exynos, and am being driven crazy by the battery of it. So last night i put my sim cards back to my mate 20 pro ( 20 months old) and wow. I lost 4% battery overnight and this is so good. Currently sitting at 70% with 2:15h sot. So my mistake at the beginning was not doing clean install when i got the phone, this time after reseting and wiping the system cache the battery is still formidable ( 0,5% standby drain an hour is pretty damn good with wifi on). If i knew a reset and cache wipe would basically improve my battery i would have not switched yet.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

I'm surprised there are so few complaints about drain the last weeks or so. Many sites complain about the latest EMUI updates 10.0 and 10.1 resulting is drains. My phone started draining a week or so ago, suddenly noticed I'm ending the day around 20% instead of the usual 60. Anybody else noticed this?
Try to reset the phone and do a system cache wipe. Do a clean install of the apps ( you can transfer back the photos/videos/music/docs though).

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
Did factory reset twice already and only run my most essential apps. Problem started with the last huawei update. This drain is just as bad when I run safe mode btw

Gungcho

Aug 4, 2017
Did factory reset twice already and only run my most essential apps. Problem started with the last huawei update. This drain is just as bad when I run safe mode btw
Hmm, when i bought the phone i used phone clone to move everything, was getting between 5 and 6h sot ( 2 day use though). Now after i bought a s20 exynos i did a factory reset + cache wipe after the update of the mate 20 pro. Today i used it for a half day plus uplugged last night before sleeping and was amazed at the battery life. 0,5% standby drain, 3h sot with 60% left ( everything on, i am on wifi). You can try to roll back to an old version and then update, it can work, because from my experience you should be fine.

Btw i had simcard issues, you can try to replace it and see if it helps. Or just see how much is the battery drain without one, if you can.

Last edited:

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
I did a erecovery yesterday and it downloaded and installed 10.1 after which the drain disappeared. So this was definitely a bug introduced with the 10.0 may security update

snovvdog

Jan 13, 2016
So, in the past 2 weeks my phone started getting excessive battery drain, I cannot phantom what is causing it. Under battery usage it's always software ''google play services'', and ''hiview'' (to a lesser extent), both of them use an excessive ammount of cpu (not locations/data/anything else, I see excessive cpu use). This is behavior that has started in the last 2 weeks.

Some people say turn off location services, syncing etc, but those services have always been on and never drained my battery this much. I want it to be kept in sync and use location services. I used to last 2 full days on a battery and now after half a day the battery is sitting at 50%...

I downloaded Better battery stats and granted the rights over adp to see if I can understand what is happening/find the culprit but at the moment it's only been running for 10 mins.
Will be decluttering all the Huawei crap off this phone soon after, they can keep their sucky malware. The updates since android 10 have been a constant pest overall, with annoying push notifications teeling me to update and ways reverting to the crappy Huawei launcher ( I use Nova Launcher). Overall I think since android 10 this phone got worse than in android 9, can't even quickly block push notifications from the notification screen any more like in android 9...

Anyone been digging deeper and know which processes to destroy that keep hogging my cpu time when it should be sleeping?

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
@snovvdog use ADB to uninstall /disable anything you don't use...like Hiview.
If you look around you'll see there is no middle ground, people are either happy with the upgrades (like me...knock on wood) or cursing out loud. The behavior to me seems related to the hw variant and carrier software.
My conclusion after owning quite a few Chinese electronic devices is that they can get hardware right but never the software.

PS I use Accubattery to monitor processes and sleep

jems143009

Feb 12, 2014
55% standby drain in overnight even in an aeroplane mode. I had LYA-L29 from the USA now in India after 1-year suddenly battery-draining starts from one day so I send the phone to customer care centre first they tell me to replace battery now they tell me to replace motherboard also as a problem from motherboard level. all the other function are perfectly ok so how it could be the problem with mainboard? how to check whether they have change motherboard or not? I have dought they just want money for false repairing plz help me

jems143009

Feb 12, 2014
55% standby drain overnight even in an aeroplane mode. I had LYA-L29 from the USA now in India after 1-year suddenly battery-draining starts from one day so I send the phone to customer care center first they tell me to replace battery now they tell me to replace motherboard also as a problem from motherboard level. all the other function are perfectly ok so how it could be the problem with the mainboard? how to check whether they have changed the motherboard or not? I have dought they just want money for false repairing plz help me
finally, i send my phone to Huawei exclusive service centre they replace battery and mainboard now everything is fine