| Upgrade Kit (UPK) |
This is a package which contains all needed things to root, install ClockWorkMod Recovery and upgrade/flash following described methods.
- ADB + basic cmds (reboot, logcat, reboot-recovery)
- BlackJack (root utility, Froyo)
- Bootloader Unlocker (Stock ICS firmwares) | It uses the u-boot.img by payback from 4pda.ru (Thanks jockjoint)
- CWMT (ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch 126.96.36.199 flasher)
- CWMT6 (ClockWorkMod Touch 188.8.131.52 flasher - USB broken)
- Drivers (USB, Modem, Bluetooth)
- FW Converter 2.1 by jes0411
- KDZ Updater
- LGMobile Update (B2C)
- MSXML 6 SP1
- PDF guides
- R&D Test Tool (unbricking tool / hard reset)
- README - About HTML file
- TWRP 184.108.40.206 (TeamWin Recovery Project 2.4 flasher)
- UnlockRoot 3 (ICS Root tool)
- Windows Enabler (X64 / R&DTT)
| Apps |
An setup package which lets you the choice between useful apps. There are predefined install types but you can also customize the installation. USB debugging must be enabled on your device. Read package's intro for more details.
- Currently 75 apps. See the full list.
Some Extra files : V10E Patched (EU), V20S Patched (EU) | V30B (FRA) | Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer as well) | SuperOneClic 2.3.3 | Gingersnap 2 | ADB.zip | FW Converter | GPS_Fix_2.zip | and more...
Note : V10E & V20S here are the OPEN EUROPE versions in binary format, and are patched with CWMT so they're ready for root (flash superuser.zip from SDC via recovery, see below the root tut)
| Firmwares |
Now I let this task to more competent than me
- Syntax = V10A_00.kdz | characters in red will never move. Characters in skyblue are according to versions.
- AFRATL = language/brand code | VXXX = firmware version | (...) = Provider/Country
| The upgrade |
You can use standard methods by using B2C, R&D Test Tool (to use with .kdz firmwares), or simply PC Suite. If you're going to manually downgrade with R&DTT, doing a factory reset before flashing may prevent of errors and bricks.
NOTE : Now LG blocks manual upgrades via B2C ("upgrade start" will show LG update window instead of performing the flash process), so neither KDZU nor R&DTT will work unless you apply the following tip to fix it.
But the fastest and safest method is to use the SmartFlash tool (also used for rooting). For this method you'll need a firmware in binary format which is in two separated files (*.fls & *.bin). You can downgrade as well if needed. The process takes only 3 min and erase all internal datas. So you'd better save all saveable things like contacts, apps etc... use your favorite way (full nand, titanium, listing...)
Requirements : any firmware, UPK, and USB drivers. Follow related PDF guides for manually flashing.
If for some reasons, you need a particular firmware, you could convert it in binaries yourself by using the FW Converter. Just put it in the same dir where the firmware is and run it. This tool is also able to patch FWs OTA with CWM
Note : don't apply the patch on ICS firmwares (V3XX) since it will break the boot. Refer to "Recovery for ICS" of this tutorial below
Reference thread by jes0411
| The root |
Method 1 - FW V10A / B
- Download the latest GingerBreak
- Allowed non Market Place apps (settings > apps > unknown sources)
- USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev > USB debugging)
- A SDC must be present and mounted
- Launch Polaris Office to explore your SDC, then touch the apk file
- in the case you don't have a file explorer, install ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer (Apps)
- Phone will reboot on sucess. Cool, it's rooted ! (now you can uninstall GingerBreak)
Method 2 - Froyo (V1XX)
- Required : installed USB drivers
- Enable USB Debugging (settings > apps > development)
- Plug the phone, launch BlackJack and follow instructions
- Allow 127.0.0.1 connection if prompted by AVs / Firewalls. Read BlackJack's intro for more details.
Froyo alternative root method with Smartflash :
- Follow steps as described in method 3 below, but with these patched binaries V10E (EU) instead
Method 3 - Gingerbread (V2XX)
- Required : installed USB drivers, Smartflash, patched FW binaries V20S (EU) (*.fls and *.bin) and the Superuser+(ESE) archieve
- Copy Superuser+.zip in your SDC
- Follow the PDF guide procedure (UPK)
- Phone will reboot into Recovery, do a wipe / reset
- Now select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" and select Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer)
- Go back on main menu and validate on "reboot system now". System is now permanently rooted.
Method 4 : ICS (V30X)
- Flash your device (the PDF guide in UPK may help noobs) | Ignore this step if you have already updated your phone to ICS, so you won't lose any data !
- Unplug it (this is important) and boot normally (don't put your sdc yet so overall process will be shorter)
- Do a factory reset (settings > backup & reset) | Ignore this step if your system is already running ICS
- Ensure of LG software connexion type is selected (settings > PC connexion > USB connexion type)
- Enable USB debugging before pluging the phone (settings > developer options), then plug
- Install UnlockRoot, run it and follow instructions
| Unlocking the bootloader |
This must be done through ICS 4.0.4 and is only needed if you want to flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. You have to root first before attempting. See below the "Recovery for ICS" tut.
| The Recovery |
- Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev)
- Plug phone, wait for installation complete (first time plug), launch "CWMT", "CWMT6" or "TWRP"
- Grant root access if prompted by SuperUser (phone)
- Use AnReboot (or else) to boot into recovery
- If you try booting into recovery without a custom recovery flashed, phone will perform a factory reset by default !
Two other apps : ROM Manager, Quick Boot.
Reference thread by xantaro
| Recovery for ICS |
The following tutorial will help you getting a working custom recovery for stock ICS firmwares. This is an U-Boot flasher package, based on the work of payback from 4pda.ru. Thanks to jockjoint for the share.
- Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON
- Follow the 4th root method for ICS if needed
- Unlock the bootloader with the Bootloader Unlocker tool
- Flash your favorite custom recovery, CWM or TWRP.
| ROMs / Mods / Tools |
- (Discovery) Remove battery, hold power buton, plug USB cable and wait until LG logo appears. Yeah ! The phone boots and you can use it with an infinite supply without killing battery's life !! But the phone seems having to be in airplane mod, otherwise it will shut down and display the battery missing message.
> It also works with my GT540, holding the call key. This could work on any LG androphone.
- See the [INDEX] thread by RomWiz which intends to list every existing ROMs, mods, tools etc... for our device.
- Sim unlock tutorial by Orcusen
| The GPS hook fix |
Read this thread.
| Troubleshooting |
- New to Android ?
- Got a bootloop or bricked your phone ?
- Try the emergency recovery ; launch LGMobile Update (aka B2C) > Support > Recovery phone (aka SOS...)
- Try hard reseting with R&D Test Tool (follow pdf guide)
- Use SmartFlash with binary files of a firmware
- Lost/freezed your home ?
- Try nikpik's solution.
- Lost IMEI ?