• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Status of TWRP with Android 10 on Mi 9T

Search This thread

Annie the Eagle

Feb 8, 2011
Classified
dsr.annietheeagle.com
Hey

So my bootloader unlock wait time is coming up tomorrow, but this forum is not giving me much hope as all I can see is problems with TWRP constantly being replaced with the stock recovery and general incompatibility (recovery loops or bootloader loops), no one seems to know which of the 10,000 versions of TWRP and OrangeFox (????) recovery to use.

Can anyone clarify what the situation is with Xiaomi Mi 9T or is this phone doomed and its just worth throwing on eBay (a phone without custom recovery and root is absolutely worthless to me).

Thanks a plenty!

Micdu70

Feb 22, 2018
France
Hi!

"TWRP constantly being replaced with the stock recovery"
=> That's nothing to do about Android version: It's a Xiaomi/MIUI boot protection feature. Some TWRP flash a modified VBMeta image, at first TWRP boot, to disable this protection.

- What you can do:

1) Download latest OrangeFox and put ZIP file in phone storage
2) Download latest Official TWRP, flash it via fastboot then hold "Power" and "Vol+" buttons (both) until TWRP is booted
3) Select OrangeFox ZIP file in TWRP and flash it (phone will automatically restart to OrangeFox Recovery).
4) Done! You can now flash latest Magisk version. ^^

Annie the Eagle

Feb 8, 2011
Classified
dsr.annietheeagle.com
Hi!

"TWRP constantly being replaced with the stock recovery"
=> That's nothing to do about Android version: It's a Xiaomi/MIUI boot protection feature. Some TWRP flash a modified VBMeta image, at first TWRP boot, to disable this protection.

- What you can do:

1) Download latest OrangeFox and put ZIP file in phone storage
2) Download latest Official TWRP, flash it via fastboot then hold "Power" and "Vol+" buttons (both) until TWRP is booted
3) Select OrangeFox ZIP file in TWRP and flash it (phone will automatically restart to OrangeFox Recovery).
4) Done! You can now flash latest Magisk version. ^^

Hey there. Thanks for this. Do I need to flash the VBMeta file also when I follow this? Would you mind sending a link to the latest official stuff, just wanna make sure I got the right things!

Micdu70

Feb 22, 2018
France
Hey there. Thanks for this. Do I need to flash the VBMeta file also when I follow this? Would you mind sending a link to the latest official stuff, just wanna make sure I got the right things!

You normally don't need to flash VBMeta file. ;)

- Official TWRP => https://dl.twrp.me/davinci/

- Latest OrangeFox (actually "R10.1_1" because "R10.1_2" is a broken version) => https://files.orangefox.tech/OrangeFox-Stable/davinci/

EDIT: Flash "R10.1_1" version over bad "R10.1_2" version if you already downloaded/flashed via my previous MEGA link.

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hey

So my bootloader unlock wait time is coming up tomorrow, but this forum is not giving me much hope as all I can see is problems with TWRP constantly being replaced with the stock recovery and general incompatibility (recovery loops or bootloader loops), no one seems to know which of the 10,000 versions of TWRP and OrangeFox (????) recovery to use.

Can anyone clarify what the situation is with Xiaomi Mi 9T or is this phone doomed and its just worth throwing on eBay (a phone without custom recovery and root is absolutely worthless to me).

Thanks a plenty!
Sorry but this is not teally true - or maybe it's the case for custom roms and/or custom twrps

Using (not alone, you can find several peopke reporting the same):
-QFJEUXM 11m0.4.0 (Global, Stable,v Android 10)
-Official TWRP 3.3.1-0-davinci

Just flash that twrp through fastboot, do not wipe or fornat anything (vbmeta, internal storage, whatever), you will not loose anything and everything will work

And the same holds if twrp is replaced by orangefox (since recently, using R10.1_2)

Eg, when booting to twrp, you will enter your pin/password you use in system for unlocking the screen - and twrp will recognize and work with your encrypted Internal memory (so again, without formatting data, wiping vbmeta or whatever)

However, if you want to use some custom roms whose installation requires to format or wipe something, and/ot to use some custom twrps, that's another story (but not a problem in miui or in the official twrp)

Last edited: